Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems in Wet + Cold conditions, Virago 250cc (2001 Reg.)

• 09-07-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there,

I just started having trouble with my Virago 250cc. She's a 2001 reg. I've had her for about 2 years now and never had any other trouble with her. It just seems that when it comes to wet or cold conditions she's jumpy. Sometimes she loses power altogether when I stop in traffic and she can be hard to start even though the engine is warm.
    It seems more like an electric problem, but to tell you the truth I don't know much about bikes. Well not to that extent anyway. It's not a fuel line problem or anything like that. I checked the plugs caps and the plugs and they are always dry. So I'm at odds really as to what is the problem.
    Has anyone any ideas what it could be and how to fix?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sounds like carb icing to me. Try some Silkolene FST in the tank and see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

would that also help for wet conditions? And what is carb icing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

xinchao wrote: »
    would that also help for wet conditions? And what is carb icing?

Carb icing is caused by cold air coming into the air box and freezing the water in the atomised petrol when its being sprayed into your cylinders. The water is crystallised. The faster you go the colder the air and the worse it gets.

Older carbed bikes don't have carb heaters and are more prone to this. FST increases the octane slightly and solves the icing problem. http://www.silkolene.com/index.php?calling=product&sub=maintain#maintain_p22 Thats the manufacturers site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Hasn't been cold enough for that to happen here KTRIC, even at 120km/h on a motorway its warm most days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Thanks lads,

appreciate the replies. But this happened the other day as well, when it was raining. so still miffed about it. Anything other ideas? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement