Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a navel piercing

Options
  • 09-07-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how long it takes to heal as it affects what clothing can be worn, you gotta be careful when doing the bump n' grind etc...

Cheers.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I would suggest a minimum of 6-8 weeks. It is more like a surface piercing so it can take longer to heal properly. So, definitely keep waistbands away from it, along with any other causes of... *ahem*... friction :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

About 6 months initially, a lot less if you follow after care instructions and are in good health. totally healed after 2 years like most piercings.

Just don't wear tight fitting clothes, anything with loose fabrics like wool (they will get caught in the piercing), just general common sense things.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Mine took quite a while to heal actually, I'd say it was nearly six months before it was totally fine! This probably wouldn't happen very often but I had a lot of scarring and bleeding around the holes for the first few months, not sure what went wrong but it turned out alright in the end! :eek:

For clothing, I think you just have to avoid high waistbands, tight tops, basically anything that's going to rub off it and irritate it while it's healing. Aftercare is pretty handy too, I used to just get a mug of sea salt water and lie down somewhere which was nice!

Good luck with it anyway, IMO it's a lovely piercing, might not be uncommon or particularly interesting but I'm very attached to mine. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Will, if it's six months without correct aftercare, how long is it with correct aftercare?

Seems like sex could be a bit complicated too - spontaneity would be hugely affected for one...

Hmmm, unsure now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Be careful in the shower too, 'cause a few months after I had mine pierced I was taking a shower and using one of those puffy scrubby things.... Anyhoo, to cut a long story short, the bar got caught on the scrubby thing (no idea what they are actually called!), I didn't notice and ripped the thing right out :(
    It's not actually a long story at all, but yeah, be careful!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

It really depends Dudess on how your body reacts to it. 6 months is the general guideline given by most studios I think.

Find a reputable piercing studio in Cork and ask them, they know more than I ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I know people don't wanna hear about my private life, :pac:, but to help with the bumpin' 'n grinding I recommened you purchase an internally threaded barbell, with a disc end on the top/outside.
    I'm a guy with an inverse navel, and I find if someone is lying on my stomach, or vica versa, it used to become extremely irritated the following few days, but now with this it isn't too bad at all, same goes for stomach sleeping.
    I recommend this piece of jewellery so so much, and it looks so so cool too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

try not to get punched in the stomach two weeks after having it done so that it gets massively infected and when you stumble in to maurice in agony all he can say is 'erm, that's gonna come out, best take it out and i'll redo it in a few weeks'.

don't then ignore maurice and presume he doesn't know what he's talking about and frantically try and heal the damn thing only to find you've healed it but it's only through a layer of skin and can't support any piercing other than the teeniest rings and even they look odd.

don't then get pregnant three times so that the little band of skin you've so diligantly healed gets stretched to an inch long and turns purple each time.

it's not purple now but it's still too big a hole to hold a barbell and they look odd anyway, unfortunately it's so well healed thast even though i haven't worn jewelery in it for years it'll never heal :rolleyes:

i'm gonna get it redone through the tissue though as soon as i get my belly in shape (no point if i can't show it off!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think of all my piercings (nape included), my navel was probably my hardest to heal. i followed all healing instructions relgiously and it took a damn site more than 6months for mine to heal up. (although... i think i was a good bit younger than is generally accepted... how long ago was there a celetial ring in blanch?)

that said, while it's probably not my favourite piercing, it's one i'd feel most lost without... my body looks weird without a piercing in the belly. really really weird.

i suppose that it's a good excuse to look at new positions, if that's an issue... i know when i got my nipples pierced, my fella was a bit wtf about it... but a few months healing time and he can't imagine me without the jewellery.

dudess, i reckon if you want the piercing, go for it... make sure and go to a good piercer, snakebite if you're anywehre near dublin... and anywhere Gauge recommends in cork (cant remember the placenames as they never really seemed relevant to me) ... take care of the piercing,a nd remember... necessity is the mother of invention ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pink pirate

yea they do take ages to heal, got the top and bottom of my bellybutton pierced, cleaning it properly really pays off tho!
    do be carefull in the shower tho coz im always doing that with the shower pouff and pulling at the piercing! doesnt hurt coz ive had it done for so long but id imagine it would be pretty painfull if u had just got it done!!

it is a very common piercing but i really think it looks nice on girls, especially on hols:)!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thanks a mil for your advice guys. :)
    PinkTulips, I'm chuckling away at your story still. :D
    Aw, I think it looks absolutely ace - but I don't know... Gonna have to really think about it.
    a nd remember... necessity is the mother of invention ;)
    :D

Advertisement