Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation quantities

• 09-07-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello all,

How much sand, gravel mix & cement to order for 5 cubic meters of concrete.
    Its for the foundation for a shed using 9'' cavities.:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i have used a mix of 1:2:3

1 part cement

2 parts sand

3 parts coarse aggregate

5 cubic metres of concrete will weigh about 12 tons

2 tons of cement (25kg a bag so 80 bags in total)
    4 tons of sand
    6 tonnes of aggregate

hope i worked that out ok for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Martron wrote: »

1 part cement

2 parts sand

3 parts coarse aggregate

4 tons of sand
    6 tonnes of aggregate

Lovely job Martron, sure if not, at least it gives me a ball part figure:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

order readymix and drag in some mates with wheelbarrows, it'll be all over in 2 hrs.

You may have to stump up breakfast for em though!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Yea, ready mix would be easier if you have to mix it by hand otherwise. You can also get it with retardant which will stop if from drying out so fast.

I have a mixer & im prepared to spend the day mixing it myself. I know it harder work wise but its also cheaper.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Martron wrote: »

1 part cement

2 parts sand

3 parts coarse aggregate

4 tons of sand
    6 tonnes of aggregate

2 tons of cement (25kg a bag so 80 bags in total) E3-E4 a bag E240-E320
    4 tons of sand E20 a ton E80
    6 tonnes of aggregate E10 - E15 a ton E60 - E90

cost E380 -E490, 5 meters 25n20 concrete mix should be E60 - E65 a meter. total E300 - E350
    ps. don't forget labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Readymix will also be (with all due respect to your mixing abilities..!) a better mix, more even distribution of the materials throughout the mixture. It'll also be quicker, and if qc3's calcs are right (and they don't look wrong) cheaper!

You'll get it into the foundation a lot easier too. And imagine if you bought one bag too few of cement?

Readymix FTW!

Ok im coming around to the readymix idea. There is a place http://www.gannonconcrete.ie/page5.html not too far from me. The truck seems to have a pump which will be alot easier. Ill give them a buzz tomorrow.

Any ideas of what I can expect to pay?
    Ill post back tomorrow with the quote if anyone is interested.

that truck looks the business. very handy!!!

well trucks will give you one hour free ( depending on the company ) then charge you for time after that.(usually 15mins per cubic metre)

Check out their waiting time policy.

Also where is your foundation?

if its at the back of a house i would say the pump operator would be reluctant to position the pump over the roor of the house even though it shows in the video that its over a building.

But that is definately a big idea.

I would be interested to see the price of that truck

and also with a truck like that they willl most probably charge you part load charge so find out what that is and find jobs to use the concrete you will be charged for.

Send on the quote.

Thanks

Ok it was cheaper than I thought it would be.

6 cubic meters of 25N readymix is 460 EURO

Pump is 120 EURO, If I go over an hour its an extra 100 EURO

They only have a part load charge for 4 cubic meters or under.

She couldnt really give me an answer about positioning the pump over the house. Worst case scenario would be to drive the truck up the driveway and pump from there.

I was quoted 96 cent per block ( single core cavity )
    and E1.06c per block ( 2 core cavity )

Ill ring around for more quotes on the blocks, they seem a bit steep:confused:

• Advertisement

i do honestly think they would be reluctant to lift over the house but they come with extension pipes and you could bring it down the side of your house.

sound good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

your right to keep shopping. E67 per meter in dublin seems fair but blocks seem dear.just rang a local company "dundalk" out of curosity. 9" cavity blocks are E73 per hundred 0.73cent each so hopefully you get a beter quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Agre with qc3 the blocks sound dear, try J+K in Ballyfermot

Ok im ready for my readymix ( founds are dug & marker stakes are down )
    Only problem is my founds keep filling up with rain water. When I order the readymix is it possible to get a really dry mix to compensate for the wetness of my foundations. Ill bucket any water out before I pour the readymix but im just worried that the amount of rain water that seeps into the founds will affect the strength of the concrete??

Thanks all

just bucket out the water. as long as there is no flowing water you should be grand.

concrete is a chemical reaction it does not "dry" it cures.

so aslong as there is no running water mixing into the concrete you should be fine. if is only ground water that causes a puddle over night you should be grand.

the volume of water required to change the strenght woould need to be much greater than a bit of groundwater seepage.

unless you have a spring ha ha.

The dry mix would be very hard to compact properly . a wet mix and poker vibrator will give you a much better result for the job you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Readymix concrete is the best option, remember to wear protective clothing paying particular attention to your footware as small amount of concrete inside a boot or shoe could lead to serious chemical burns

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

Hi steamjetjoe
    Did you get fixed up with all this after?
    I'm doing a similar job and just pricing blocks and readymix, though I might still mix it myself. 25N ready mix is €71/m and 9" cavity blocks are €0.95 each. What did you pay in the end?
    Thanks,
    g2g

Advertisement