Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well do you know your neighbour?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

I have found that i dont know my neighbours as much as lets say my parents knew theirs.

How friendly is north dublin?

Is it a cultural difference as in balbriggan is the most culturally diverse town in ireland so does this help matters or does it make the divide greater?

How friendly is you neighbours? 24 votes

Very friendly
    0%
    Not very
    75%
    ArseBurgerFrank SpencerThe Hill BillydsmythyLady_NorthkeenClare BearLouOBgripcaseyLeoBwilliamsjosji4johnPirateShampooStopNotWorkingEoineoNodsterNorthDubranmac 18 votes
    I dont care
    20%
    PaulwMoonbeamforbairtArthur Daleykarlog 5 votes
    Never felt i had chance to meet them
    4%
    groomek 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

Not very
    I would know the majority of my neighbours and find them great, there is just one neighbour that I dont know and to be honest dont want to know as they are not the type of person i want to associate with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Not very
    It helps when some of your neighbours are family members. ;) Young children are a great ice breaker and when you have kids of the same age it's a good way to get to know people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Not very
    Martron I bet you dont leave your front door open when you go to the shop? You live around Rush so you probably know me or you would know me to see. My parents were the same knew everyone but communities were very close then.

I have lived where I am for 44 years and know all my neighbours. All are decent people some ya get on well with some ya dont really have any dealing with but they are there as neighbours and friends in an hour of need. But more and more I see people dont even say hello to their neighbours.

One problem I see in Rush is a lot of the migrants dont mix and this makes life difficult for locals to acknowlege them. It must also be fairly lonely for them. mind you some of them I would not want to know. Dog rough and fairly aggressive.

To be honest I dont like a lot of the immigrants who are here but it costs nothing to say hello to them which I do. Some are friendly and a great asset to any community and some are not, just like our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i have to say as rush goes it is quite friendly.

all the shop and what not people willing to say hi.,

now, i suppose i was quite nieve when i move in because of the house i grew up- in all the neighbours knew each other.

now i suppose i would say hi to my neighbours but that is about it. one of my neighbours actually hrries to get in the door when they see us coming.

but as someone said up the thread kids are a great ice breaker. our estate is quite young i suppose.

as for the cultural thing i suppsoe there could be a language barrier.

ah i think i am just disappointed as i expected to have great friendly neighbouhood.

the main reason for this post is that i am thinkin of setting up residents association and just thinkin about the whole community spirit. And is it totally gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Not very
    Martron wrote: »
    i have to say as rush goes it is quite friendly.

all the shop and what not people willing to say hi.,

now i suppose i would say hi to my neighbours but that is about it. one of my neighbours actually hrries to get in the door when they see us coming.

but as someone said up the thread kids are a great ice breaker. our estate is quite young i suppose.

ah i think i am just disappointed as i expected to have great friendly neighbouhood.

the main reason for this post is that i am thinkin of setting up residents association and just thinkin about the whole community spirit. And is it totally gone?

Maybe your neighbour is shy? Kids are a great Icebreaker its probably how a lot of people get to know each other.
    Rush to me is very friendly. There are some really good spirited people in the town.
    Starting a residents assoc is a good idea. So many people are out working and are jaded after long day they dont have the energy to mix but a residents assoc is a good way for them and you to build up a network. If you ned a venue let me know and I will be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Martron wrote: »
    I have found that i dont know my neighbours as much as lets say my parents knew theirs.

How friendly is north dublin?

Is it a cultural difference as in balbriggan is the most culturally diverse town in ireland so does this help matters or does it make the divide greater?

wheres the option for "know them quite well but theyre ***** id rather have absolutely nothing to do with"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thats true i should have added that option.

i think it ruins a community when you have to live near idiots.

verey hard to deal with these sort of people.

Advertisement