Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Transport huge increase

Options
  • 09-07-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi

Has anyone noticed the sharp increase in the school transport cost introduced by the department of education. It used to be approx €56 per term - around €168 per year.

This year it will cost a total of €300.00, either all up front or two lots of €150.00.

Not far off a 100% increase

Its getting to the stage where I should just sign over my pay cheque (while I still have one) to the government

Paddyo

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

While on this topic - the fees are set by the Government and not the Bus Eireann represnetives you call about paying etc. I believe that each year the poor souls working for BE taking calls regarding school transport get a very hard time on the phone when its nothing to do with them at all.

I'm not sure where the pay increases come from in terms of justification. Thankfully I never had to take a bus when I was in school as it was within walking distance. Its hard to familys who have to pay out a lot and then this on top of them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I can't make €300 from any of the costs listed here (though I can make less or more - 46*3 to make 138 per Junior cert child, 71*3 to make 213 per Leaving cert child or 150*3 to make 450 as a family rate). Have they bumped the prices again since April (seems a bit nasty if they have)?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Just got the notification in the post

€300.00 per year for one child
    €600.00 for 2 or more

Can be split into two payments

Paddyo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paddyo wrote: »
    Just got the notification in the post

€300.00 per year for one child
    €600.00 for 2 or more

Can be split into two payments

Paddyo

From what I was told last night when I queried this, that is correct. The prices have gone up as per government requests. Still the abuse to the people dealing with these calls streams in.

Advertisement