Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property agents - who to believe?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

So. I know selling a property in this climate is madness but must be done. Unfortunately the difference in estate agents estimates are HUGE. S.fitz goes way low, GWD seems to be over the top...who to believe? Who has the best reputation? Seems agenst are resorting to shady tactics to make up the money they're losing, want to make sure I pick a decent lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I can't tell you which of two complete strangers to believe, but, I personally would put it on the market at the lower price.

If you do, you're more likely to get interest, and possibly more than 1 interested party, which is what you really want.

If you put it on at the higher price and get no viewings, then you've nothing to do but drop the price, wait, drop the price, wait. You don't want to be chasing a falling market imo.

If you put it on at the lower price, and aren't swamped with interest, then clearly the higher price is ridiculous. If you are swamped with interest (I really don't see this happening unfortunately), then interested parties can bid it up.

The very worst thing that can happen, imo, is you put it on for too much and nobody even darkens your door for a viewing.

That's just what I'd do, I sold my appartment in January, and I priced it to sell. If I hadn't sold it, I'm sure I'd be selling it for less today, and less again in a few months.

Best of luck with it. There are buyers out there if you price things accordingly, assuming you can do so.

[edit]
    Oh, and I wouldn't consider selling now madness. If you're not planning on being there for the long term, you might be better off selling now, rather than in a year or two.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

shamama wrote: »
    So. I know selling a property in this climate is madness but must be done. Unfortunately the difference in estate agents estimates are HUGE. S.fitz goes way low, GWD seems to be over the top...who to believe? Who has the best reputation? Seems agenst are resorting to shady tactics to make up the money they're losing, want to make sure I pick a decent lot.

sell it yourself or YOU instruct the estate agent at what price

have a look in the area at similar properties see how long they've been on for etc and decide yourself

it doesn't really matter who you go with they all have some good estate agents and they all have a A LOT of bad ones.

it's not so much they're bad but they spent their career's as EA's in good times when they had to do no work to sell a house now it requires a the smallest bit of knowledge and they can't cope with the changes in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

See daft.ie myhome .ie what are similar houses in your area going 4 ,match no of bedrooms and size of the house and no of bathrooms and facilitys eg alarm system /fitted kitchen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

dunno if i'd pay much more for a house with an alarm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TheBigGuy

bmm wrote: »
    dunno if i'd pay much more for a house with an alarm :D
    it cost me 1300 quid to get one fitted and i had to take time off work to facilitate it, so i would....;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement