Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book club relaunch - feedback wanted.

Options
  • 09-07-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Due to (semi)popular demand the book club is coming back. I for one would welcome a "Book of the month" where we could have a bit of discussion. Please use this thread to leave feedback and if you would be interested.

My 2c

Maybe each member could recommend a book per month? Personally I would like to mix the club in way where there might be some months where we read "classics" , not exactly Don Quixote but maybe a book like Lord of the flies or The Outsider, something shortish ,maybe a book we should have all read but never did (Dead Souls by Gogol comes to my mind).
    Of course we should also read modern novels too that seem to be causing a stir or look interesting - White Tiger perhaps or some other prize winner or maybe the new Amis or Joseph O connor - whatever.
    I would be well on for it.

Book Club relaunch 17 votes

Good idea - would be interested
    0% 0 votes
    Bad idea - no interest
    88% 15 votes
    Convince me some more
    11% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

I'm fully behind this, a great idea.

I think each member willing to participate should nominate two books. Then whichever book gets the most nominations within a week period gets chosen by the club.

I'd say we'd need at least ten people for it to work right.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

This sounds like a great idea, as long as the books aren't too obscure, and easily accessible.

I have to admit though, I'm always a little intimidated posting on here about books, because I've never studied literature past Leaving Cert English... so I'll participate in the discussion, but will not necessarily add much!

How about some Margaret Atwood?

I don't mind doing more popular authors but I do think we should have an underlying layer of quality (Not having a go at Atwood btw, just thinking aloud)

Ban Celia Ahern and Dan Brown, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

An elitist attitude/discussion is the last thing I would be advocating. For me the discussion would be whether you liked the book or not and why. Margaret Atwood would be great. Loved the Blind Assassin but it may be too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I fully endorse this product and/or service :P Seriously, Im fully up for this, as long as the book is good. Sorry, but if its John Grisham I probably wont go for it for the month :) So unless there is demand for such books, I think it should be classics only???

I hereby nominate:
    • The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
    • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    These are popular books, that are well known, are easy to read, and quite 'literary'.

lemon_sherbert, I wouldnt mind that!! Id say most people here arent half as well read as they like to portray :D

So that would by 4 at least + maybe Lolth (she suggested it?) and probably ilovenerds.

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    An elitist attitude/discussion is the last thing I would be advocating. For me the discussion would be whether you liked the book or not and why. Margaret Atwood would be great. Loved the Blind Assassin but it may be too long!

Is it elitist to dislike Dan Brown or Celia Ahern? I was joking anyway... I actually enjoyed the Da Vinci code -> Just disliked the ensuing hype.

TedB wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed the Da Vinci code

PLEB!!!

Only jokin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

I'm definitely interested, I haven't been reading as much as usual recently and I want to remedy that. Also, I have a load of classics (and not-so-classics) piling up and I find that it helps to have a "reason" to finish them within a certain time frame.

I reckon we should have a ban on the likes of Ahern and Brown and Grisham, really I have no interest in reading these authors and they do seem to get alot of peoples goat up, but saying that there are alot of popular writers that we should not exclude either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thing is, some readers have no interest in writers like Joyce, Shelley or Shakespeare. One of aims of a book club is to get people to read titles they wouldnt normally read (I certianly would not have read life of Pi if not for the book of the month when it ran before). So, someone who reads predominantly classics should give some pulp a go and see if there is any merit.

Dan browne's books may be far fetched, and based (very) loosely on real world myth but, if nothing else they inspired a lot of people to pick up a book and start reading again, possibly more so than any of the Bronte sisters. They are accessible, and, while not great works of high brow literature, they should be given credit for that at least (even if digital fortress did end up getting tossed over the side of the ship I was reading it on and deception point ended up being given to a hotel maid who loved his works but couldnt find any more in her local library).

from previous experience, I dont think the book of the month suited boards. the forum, as many of you have noticed, doesnt get enough traffic to make any sub grouping viable. I would still suggest that you pick one classic and one mainstream work. maybe a book from the classics and then one from the last 50 years to make it more appealing. I dont think you should ban any author in particular, if it gets voted, it gets voted.

from the last time: each member proposing a book and it being voted on doesnt work, you end up with 100 books all with 2 or 1 vote each. Buck65 started the idea this time round, I would suggest that he/she picks 3 classic and 3 modern works (try to spread them out a bit genre wise) and these get voted on. then from those that sign up to participate, we move down the list alphabetically. New joiners join the end of the queue. the next person on the list chooses the next selection of books (or can pass and the next person in line takes over). This way, the focus of the book club moves away from "educating the literary ignorant" to "sharing your tastes" and, you are guaranteed to have at least one book in there that you like :D

I personally, have never read a romance novel. never. nothing even close to it. I would however give it a go in the interest of being able to say, yep, done that and here's what I think and beign able to discuss it with others.

you will also need ground rules for both the selection and the discussion of the books. The basic rules of boards should do for moderating the debate etc. spoiler tags should not be used but spoiler alerts should be on the thread title (everyone that posts should have finished the book).

hmmm, longer post than I intended. hope it hepls and looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Cheers Lolth, good system. Nominations buck65!!

We will also have to set a date by which the book must be read and discussion starts? Or does it start immediately? I think it would be better if we all started talking about it simultaneously, like in 3 weeks or so.

Just on personal note, Im going traveling for the month in Europe starting 10th of August, so if its later that that I wont be able to contribute. I think something like the first/second Saturday of every month would be easy to remember (and would suit me :D)

Great post by Lolth... A true inspiration!

I second the idea that one person nominates some books to be voted upon. This way we'll all come across books we've never read before or never thought we would. Maybe every month everybody will get a turn to nominate books? That would be class.

Anyways... Get nominating Buck!

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1424

Ok after much thought here are my six - We pick 2 from is that right?

Recent
    Netherland - Joseph O Neill (interesting looking recent release)
    Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri (well received collection of stories)
    Death and the Penguin - Andrey Kurkov (have almost read this a few times, Ukrainian writer, dark and surreal humour-my type of guy!)

Older
    Castle Rackrent - Maria Edgeworth (set in Ireland in the 1800s, old but supposedly good, link above to free book!)
    Hangover Square - Patrick Hamilton (shamefully overlooked English crime writer)
    Dead Souls - Nikolai Gogol (another classic that I have been neglecting)
    I'll post a poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

buck65 wrote: »
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1424

Ok after much thought here are my six - We pick 2 from is that right?

Recent
    Netherland - Joseph O Neill (interesting looking recent release)
    Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri (well received collection of stories)
    Death and the Penguin - Andrey Kurkov (have almost read this a few times, Ukrainian writer, dark and surreal humour-my type of guy!)

Older
    Castle Rackrent - Maria Edgeworth (set in Ireland in the 1800s, old but supposedly good, link above to free book!)
    Hangover Square - Patrick Hamilton (shamefully overlooked English crime writer)
    Dead Souls - Nikolai Gogol (another classic that I have been neglecting)
    I'll post a poll
    Yeah read Netherland. Thought the the concept was interesting but have to say it left me a little bit disappointed. was very short I thought to begin with and I thought maybe the principle character got caught up a bit in between the two plots. that said was extremely well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

This looks interesting. So once the books are chosen is there a period of time allocated to read them before the discussion begins? Or does it just begin right away for people who have already read them?

Id say we will leave it til about September first. Wouldnt want to ruin it for others, and its best if we all talk about it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Can a mod sticky the finalised book club details? I'm rather confused as to what is going on. I bought 'Death and the Penguin' though, and it's quite entertaining so far, and I'll start dead souls after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Hey,I like the idea of the book club. I would like to join, could do with a bit of a push to read. Im just not clear on the details yet...

Do we all recommend a title each month or once each over several months
    Can we nominate one classic and one quality modern book(to keep it somewhat relevant)
    Are the details going to be stickeyed
    Can I post my recomendations (I have a couple of doozies)

oxygen wrote: »
    Hey,I like the idea of the book club. I would like to join, could do with a bit of a push to read. Im just not clear on the details yet...

Do we all recommend a title each month or once each over several months
    Can we nominate one classic and one quality modern book(to keep it somewhat relevant)
    Are the details going to be stickeyed
    Can I post my recomendations (I have a couple of doozies)
    Nominate book of week. People suggest a shortlist. then we do a poll from contributions.

Full info here, ill try and get it stickyed.

• Advertisement

I couldn't get Death and the Penguin in any bookshops in my town and Eason's say they aren't able to order it in because its coming from the UK...

Which means I'll have to order it online and will be unable to pay for it until next week :(

Well I could lend it to you if you were stuck, myself and my girlfriend will be reading it, and its arriving today, so I could send it to you sometime early next week?

turgon wrote: »
    Well I could lend it to you if you were stuck, myself and my girlfriend will be reading it, and its arriving today, so I could send it to you sometime early next week?

Jeez, nah, thanks though. I will get my hands on it next week, but don't know if I'll get it read for the deadline. (When is the deadline BTW?)

read true story of the Kelly gang while you are waiting for it. great read. By Peter Carey

There is no dealine as such - my copy arrived today but I have another to finish so will start reading next week. Maybe we should call these the August books?

Deadline: First of August!
    read true story of the Kelly gang while you are waiting for it. great read. By Peter Carey

Unfortunately Ive a huge backlog on my shelf, about 14 books, and I ordered another 8 in the last 2 days. :o So Im not going to be able to act on recommendations for quite some time :)

Unfortunately Ive a huge backlog on my shelf, about 14 books, and I ordered another 8 in the last 2 days. :o So Im not going to be able to act on recommendations for quite some time :)
    okay

You're one of these people... I'm one of these people. Maybe people like us should just stop buying books for like... I don't know... A decade? That way we can finish what we actually own :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

cool can i join too?! have wanted to do something like this for ages but none of my friends are great readers..

• Advertisement

TedB wrote: »
    You're one of these people... I'm one of these people. Maybe people like us should just stop buying books for like... I don't know... A decade? That way we can finish what we actually own :pac:

:D

Unfortunately some of those books I didnt really want - like Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Moby Dick and Silas Mariner - that are classics but were just readily available on BookMooch, as opposed to most modern classics. So Im not too pushed and thats another reason I buy new books.

It can be frustrating trying to get through a backlog. Especially as I want to read more history, and most of my books are literature. I did get Fosters Modern Ireland book in the Book Depositories sale though. Apparently its real good ;)

Advertisement