Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock

Options
  • 09-07-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of putting Blackrock first on the accommodation request form yoke in August, can anyone tell me what it's like? I'm from Cork and so will hopefully get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Blackrock is lovely, expensive to rent in but a lovely little place, have everything you want. No nightclubs or anything like that, but discobars and on the dart line and bus routes into town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

As long as you're doing a postgrad, should be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Nope, I'm an undergrad...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ah right, well them Blackrock ain't an option for UCD campus accommodation. First years only have the option of:

* Merville Residence
    * Belgrove Residence
    * Roebuck Hall Residence

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I lived in Belgrove for first year. Alright place tho can get cold at times. It is located behind Orts...(:P) Belgrove tends to be the "country" res for some reason. i.e gaa heads, ag science, etc etc.

Merville is a bit nicer but you have to pay the electric via a card system I think. Never really heard anything bad about it.

Roebuck is by far the nicest and as such the most expensive. Tho you do get your own bathroom and a nice new building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Lived in Merville the past year, Great Accomadation plus the 2 Bathroom Thing comes in handy for house Parties etc. But some of my mates houses in Merville were a bit Worse for Ware, But like they get cleaned up over Summer :D
    Try for house 7 in Merville, thats the one thats just been modified.:cool:
    Friends of mine lived in Belgrove, its fine but they complained about the heating. And roebuck looks nice and all but doesnt really seem worth paying an extra grand for youre own bathroom :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Lived in Roebuck last year.

Pros:
    Elevator
    Own Bathroom
    Unlimited Electricity
    Nice Views (can see the Spire from the top)
    More people (although this maybe a con for some people!)
    Spacious
    Key Cards instead of Keys
    Closest to Spar (shop that sells beer/spirits)
    Two fridges (still would prefer an oven/dishwasher)
    TV Connection.

Cons:
    No control over when heat comes on. 3am cold showers.
    No Oven! (That's a big con)
    Longer walk to lectures.
    Ground floor apartments are not very private since the windows are big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

So Merville or Belgrove it is! Don't care which really...thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Belgroves a kip, you might have to share your bedroom, the place is drab and miserable compared with merville and merville is no mansion.:rolleyes:

Id advise Merville for the price (despite it being a rip-off compared to places jst 5 mins from UCD) its proximity to Centra (this will be v important), the craic (lovely green spaces to mingle or have a kick about)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 crashers

just wondering, how does ucd decide who gets to live in glenomena? i mean is it first come first served or whoever lives furthest away?

• Advertisement
Advertisement