Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcyclists and other road users

• 09-07-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello

I don't ride a motorcycle but I ride a horse on the public highway. I'm just wondering how 'aware' are motorcyclists when it comes to another road users such as people on horseback/driving them.

When I ride out I am covered in hi-viz on both myself and the nag, I always make sure I use proper hand signals (although plenty, regardless of mode, mistake them as hello gestures:rolleyes:) I acknowledge other road users at all times.

There is a few local bikers that I would know to see and they are absolutely grand, they pass wide and slow and we acknowledge each other. I am not against any road users, but stupidity and maggotry in general.

I've noticed since the last time I was out (yesterday evenning) that some RU (not just motorbikes, but a good part) overtook me quite dangerously. My mare is excellent in traffic but there was still a chance that something could have happened.

There was one maggot who overtook me but did so far too close, we were both side by side on the one lane, he/she came up too close behind before over taking. Luckily nothing happened but I roared at the biker as they flew by.

I just think that since we have the warm weather awareness of safety/courtesy should be raised.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I usually slow down and keep the noise down but the other day a few skanger kids came towards me on a cart. I pulled to the side and slowed down going by them but the chap with the reins took it as an excuse to move the horse towards me and shout and show off in front of his mates. Couldn't resist putting the bike into neutral and revving the **** out of it. The horse cantered off up the road at speed and all the little knacker kids on the cart turned pure white with fear.

Felt bad for the horse afterwards but at least it's a lesson learned for the kids. I doubt they'll put themselves or the horse in danger again after seeing how the horse reacts to sudden loud noise. Apart from the above moment of weakness I'm usually very aware of horses and do everything I can to give them as much room and make as little noise as I can when passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

clown bag wrote: »
    I usually slow down and keep the noise down but the other day a few skanger kids came towards me on a cart. I pulled to the side and slowed down going by them but the chap with the reins took it as an excuse to move the horse towards me and shout and show off in front of his mates. Couldn't resist putting the bike into neutral and revving the **** out of it. The horse cantered off up the road at speed and all the little knacker kids on the cart turned pure white with fear.

Felt bad for the horse afterwards but at least it's a lesson learned for the kids. I doubt they'll put themselves or the horse in danger again after seeing how the horse reacts to sudden loud noise. Apart from the above moment of weakness I'm usually very aware of horses and do everything I can to give them as much room and make as little noise as I can when passing.

I'd do the same mate

i may hav a small engien but its f***ing loud when the revs are getting higher its only a 125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Im very aware going past people on horseback in the van or on my bike!!Usually on the bike i'l hold in the clutch and kind off glide by!!But sometimes lads out on traps aint so obliging to other road users

Scooter drivers are the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

clown bag wrote: »

Traveller kids live near me, always out in the evening with those little chariot things with their horses, sometimes at night with no lights!
    The horses are tied up to a tree, sometimes they have about a foot of rope! Feel sorry for the horses. Actually, I should report them next time I see one tied up like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Some people are just dickheads. :)
    In my experience motorcyclists are more aware of whats around them than any other road user.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    In my experience motorcyclists are more aware of whats around them than any other road user.

+1 million to this, I was very aware when around horses when I had a car, even more so now that I have a bike which is a lot louder than the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

WHen you ask how aware mororcyclists are, obviously you know everyone is different, but here's what I think.

We know well that were the most vunerable road users, theresfor any well trained biker is going to know how to use proper observation and drive defensively.

Unfortunately, in my first 2 years of driving, I learned the hard way by having countless near misses ofevery kind. Finally I got an appointment for my test, did a pre test with David Lyons and have actually been driving differently ever since. (with much more observation and defensively).

So to summarise - there are always gonna be gob****es on the road, but if you want to get a good driver who knows what's going on and is considerate, you can't really improve on a 'well trained motorcyclist'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I always pull over and stop the engine when getting anywhere near oncoming horses. The feckin thing is so noisy and colourful, you can see the beasts getting agitated.

If I am approaching them from behind, I generally leave about 100m or so. I don't like when the riders stand the horses into the side of the road and wave me by.

The above is generally on backroads. Horse boxes are fair game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Can you expand on that generalisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Originally Posted by tbaymusicman
    As someone who drives scooters and owns a motorbike also what are we worst at exactly? care to share that sentiment on the VCI forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hello

I don't ride a motorcycle but I ride a horse on the public highway. I'm just wondering how 'aware' are motorcyclists when it comes to another road users such as people on horseback/driving them.

When I ride out I am covered in hi-viz on both myself and the nag, I always make sure I use proper hand signals (although plenty, regardless of mode, mistake them as hello gestures:rolleyes:) I acknowledge other road users at all times.

There is a few local bikers that I would know to see and they are absolutely grand, they pass wide and slow and we acknowledge each other. I am not against any road users, but stupidity and maggotry in general.

I've noticed since the last time I was out (yesterday evenning) that some RU (not just motorbikes, but a good part) overtook me quite dangerously. My mare is excellent in traffic but there was still a chance that something could have happened.

There was one maggot who overtook me but did so far too close, we were both side by side on the one lane, he/she came up too close behind before over taking. Luckily nothing happened but I roared at the biker as they flew by.

I just think that since we have the warm weather awareness of safety/courtesy should be raised.

Very ironic seeing a post like this when all us bikers do is give out about other road users not seeing us!;)

Makes no difference on the type of vee-hik-il being driven, it is all down to the muppet not in control. As already said, bikers will most likely be more aware of their surroundings than most. But like all things in life, all you need is a handful of muppets who give the rest a bad name :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

EvilMonkey wrote: »

Agreed you have to be as in most scenarios if you get in an accident you will come off worst :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

vektarman wrote: »
    Can you expand on that generalisation?
    Tomohawk wrote: »
    As someone who drives scooters and owns a motorbike also what are we worst at exactly? care to share that sentiment on the VCI forum?

As with most things on the cheaper end of the market in terms of motoring there tends to be a attraction of muppets towards scooters and low powered hatchbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Tomohawk wrote: »

Unfortunately the gob****es who wear their helmet perched on top of their head,no gloves,a pair of shorts and sandals and who treat their machine like it's an amusement ride give every other scooter rider a bad name.

I've been riding scooters for years,mainly 50's and now i'm on a 125. I've done and passed the A1 test and take my position on the road as seriously as anyone else but sadly if it hasn't got gears the generalisation about scooters still persists cause of a few knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

All my scooters have gears. Maybe what is meant is the term "Moped".

I treat all traffic as a hazard, everything from pedestrians, mums with prams, dogwalkers, horses, all motorised transport if fact. Many bikers are f...king idiots too, irrespective of CC size bike and bike type. I'd also include scooterists and moped drivers too in the lot before you think I'm being unfair. Stay away from the agressive driver, the distracted driver and the uncordinated driver and that's most of the idiots taken care of.

Drive defensibly, drive sensibly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

lord lucan wrote: »
    Unfortunately the gob****es who wear their helmet perched on top of their head,no gloves,a pair of shorts and sandals and who treat their machine like it's an amusement ride give every other scooter rider a bad name.

I've been riding scooters for years,mainly 50's and now i'm on a 125. I've done and passed the A1 test and take my position on the road as seriously as anyone else but sadly if it hasn't got gears the generalisation about scooters still persists cause of a few knackers.

I've never understood why a few folk do this - is it just that they couldn't be bothered putting it on properly? Are they trying to protect their hairstyle? It can't be that they are trying to look cool, cos they look like f**kwits!

Advertisement