Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.avi wont play..

Options
  • 09-07-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi guys...

I don't know if i'm in the right place or not, but it'd be great if anyone could help me. I had a loan of a video camera while away. i donthave it anymore so im not sure of the model. Its storage was on an SD card, and it was "youtube compatable". It stores files in .avi but i can't seem to open them on any programme, or convert them with any programme? Most programmes will play the audio, but not the video and yet recognise them as video files? Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Nlc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

http://tinyurl.com/mpq969

Should have all the advice you need

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

k-lite codec pack

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

Max Power1 wrote: »
    http://tinyurl.com/mpq969

Should have all the advice you need

:rolleyes:

Dude... I'm not a complete moron!!!! :p

I've downloaded codecs and converters, and programmes, and god knows what else at this stage.. nothing has worked..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Are you stupid enough to have tried VLC player?

Thanks for any abuse you want to hand out in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You need the correct Codec, think theres a link here , its called the "XVID codec Xvid-1.2.1-04122008.exe"

• Advertisement

Whats with the damn negativity!! VLc.. doesnt work.. k-lite codec pack.. doesnt work.. anything else? tryin that now max...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You might be able to find out what codec you need using this app
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Nope... Windows media player is set to auto download them, but it checks server for codec.. finds.. downloads.. then plays the audio and no video..downloaded that last codec and has made no difference to media player! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Damn it!!!! :(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Hi guys...

I don't know if i'm in the right place or not, but it'd be great if anyone could help me. I had a loan of a video camera while away.

Why not ask the person you borrowed the Camera from? I'm sure they might of had the same problem as you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

if you right click on your video file slect open with and try any other player shown other than windowm media player
    see image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Nope... Windows media player is set to auto download them, but it checks server for codec.. finds.. downloads.. then plays the audio and no video..downloaded that last codec and has made no difference to media player! Thanks

I'd honestly try on another PC before you give up. Even though I have exactly the same software installed on my laptop and main PC with same codec packs etc I have a lot of videos that for some reason have stopped working on my main PC but still play fine on my laptop. Might have after occuredafter installing XP SP3 but some videos that did play no longer do and, RealPlayer and Windows media player both go off and try and download codecs before saying they don't have one to play the video. The vids played fine before and still will if I put them back on the laptop? I'm sure you've tried it but one other thing I always do to Windows Media Player is install ffdshow.

btw would be nice to know what video camera you were using and what you have tried yourself as it tends to help avoid wasting peoples time and subsequent negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bcoole2000

Have you found a solution to this problem?

If not, here's one workaround you might try (there are others)...

You might be able to just upload your video to youtube and their software will convert it to their standard. Then you can download it and delete it from youtube.

Another possibility is CD and DVD production software which will convert your video to a robust standard you can then work with.

Let me know if this is helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dr shami

k lite codecs good

Advertisement