Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA Intrest rate rise?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all I just got of the phone to Mbna who I have been dealing with for over 9 years, Here is my story and I am intrested to know if any of you have had this problem. I cancelled the payment protection option on my card two months ago to cut the cost of my monthly repayment as I felt it
    was not worth the extra money for what benefit you would get if the case arose that you needed it. And the fact there are a lot of illnesses it will not cover as my wife found out when she had to give up work last year . Now out of the blue my intrest rate jumped from 10.8% to 20.8% ( nice ) After 45 minuets on the phone I was told I had two options. (1) Opt in at the new rates or (2) opt out and keep my old rate and when the balance was cleared the account would be closed. I am and have been a heavy user of the credit card maxing it out (6300 euro limit) 5 or 6 times over 9 years and clearing it every time with one or two late payments which were out of my control and for which I rang to explain the reasons and was told it was okay . Looking forward to any replies.

Rgds.
    babyjames.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

any chance of getting a loan to clear the debt - you'll be paying less in the long run .... why not transfer your balance to another Credit Card Company - teach them for having such high rates !!! (I'm sure the others are not much better ...approx 12-15%)

I have 2 credit cards maxed at the moment both around 7K ....selling off stuff to clear them - then cutting them up....or keeping them out of my wallet - only for use in emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Yep that's what I intend to do , But I am wondering if the fact that they were not getting so much money of me every month as I had dropped the payment protection option had anything to do with it ??

Rgds.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    any chance of getting a loan to clear the debt - you'll be paying less in the long run .... why not transfer your balance to another Credit Card Company - teach them for having such high rates !!! (I'm sure the others are not much better ...approx 12-15%)

I have 2 credit cards maxed at the moment both around 7K ....selling off stuff to clear them - then cutting them up....or keeping them out of my wallet - only for use in emergencies.

Advertisement