Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O Briens Sandwich bars in examinership

Comments

Oh crap

Now where am I going to buy my lunch everyday???

Anyone have any idea??

/still lives in Celtic Tiger era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A ham and cheese sandwich toasted was something like €6.50 in the one I went to a few weeks ago:eek:.

I never understood how O'Briens was so successful, complete rip off merchants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What happened? Did they run out of dough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Not surprised. They overcharge for stale bread

And their coffee sucked.
    And they would look at you as if they were doing you a great service by 'serving' you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

bad for people in jobs but to be honest i never ate there There tomatoes always looked about a day old, after being sliced...

coffee was pretty Sh!t to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any meat with two fillings for €6.

"Fine can I get ham cheese and coleslaw please.

"That'll be €7, cheese is a meat."

I'm sorry people lost their jobs but really, who didn't see this coming? Awful places charging stupid money with rude, unhelpful staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

the scatterings of the bottom of a bag of crisps they used to toss next to the sandwich used to really pi*s me off as well... talk about scabby for the price of the feckin thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Biggins wrote: »
    What happened? Did they run out of dough?

Weren't making enough bread at the tills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Did anyone ever leave a tip in the saucer at that place? :confused:

It seemed to be always empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Maybe people were taking €1 from there each time when asked to pay extra for toasting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Absolute rip off.

Is that small deli off South Anne St (the back of Davy Stockbrokers) still going? That place was a bargain for a proper sambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They had a tip jar!! You stand in a queue waiting for your sandwich and they expect more money!
    I'm actually glad they're going under!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Their triple decker was probably the most reasonably priced and tastiest sandwich they had to be fair (€4.80 in the shop I used but I had seen the exact same sambo priced at €5.80 in the Ballsbridge shop :eek:) but they majorly took the piss on their daily "specials" which always seemed scabby in comparison.

Their "shambo" was probably the most aptly named, it was a sham they looked for €5.50 odd for one of these, you'd be left wondering if you had actually eaten after one :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

benj wrote: »
    aaah my first coffee with my now wife....

Starring Hugh Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I have literally never eaten there, always looked overpriced. Not nice to see an irish company go down though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

im not surprised- went in there with my partner and his parents last year for a bite- we all had a sandwich and a drink and they charged us 31 euro. Like your having a laugh right!!!

No wonder they are going down overcharging pricks

i get a turkey salad roll(large btw) and a bottle of coke for 4.60 in my local texaco. Now thats value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

They never had the decency to have promos like Insomnia.

Correct: a source of many sleepless nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

where will all the asian staff go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Absolute rip off.

Is that small deli off South Anne St (the back of Davy Stockbrokers) still going? That place was a bargain for a proper sambo.

Bolands??

Yeah it is. Place is fcuking amazing.

Munchies > O'Briens and every other sandwich bar tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Degsy wrote: »
    People who would rather eat sandwiches than botherto feed themselves properly desreve to be overcharged.
    Places that overcharge deserve to go down the tubes.
    I hope this starts happening with the various rip-off pubs around the place although its a pity that the ordianary joe soaps have to lose thier jobs because of the greed of the owners.

What do you usually have for lunch, Degsy?

I've always seen your posts about hatred for sandwiches and rolls.

Tbh, I won't miss them. Everytime i ever had a sandwich there (which was rare) it was full of filler. If the sandwich had colesaw or onion, it would be packed with that and barely any meat. The hot meat was terrible. I always felt bloated after their sandwiches.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

there a rip off anyway,good riddance to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I used to sometimes get the toasted sausage sandwich there in the mornings on my way to Cork in the branch in Midway outside Portlaoise. They were quite nice. Coffee was a tad sub-standard though.
    The only reason I got stuff from there was because Subway wasn't open at that hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They're a complete rip-off anyway. Subway is miles better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

O' Briens coleslaw gives me the s**ts every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm just sick of going to cafes where the person who serves you cannot understand you tbh.

That's one less anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Can't believe I will never eat another chicken and bacon triple decker. I'm kind of gutted to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No more smug fanfares on Irish business programmes/articles about The Irish Success Story.

Pity about the jobs though.
    Rebel021 wrote: »
    where will all the asian staff go

Any other sector you can pack sausage, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Their CEO ran for Fine Gael in the last election didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Losing O'Briens is losing one of the symbols of rip-off ireland. Good riddance!
    Funny comparing the reactions here compared to the spice burger thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

O'Briens?

f*ck those guys.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ardent wrote: »
    Can't believe I will never eat another chicken and bacon triple decker. I'm kind of gutted to be honest.
    It's not exactly a secret recipe

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's not exactly a secret recipe

No it's not but I'll never be arsed to make one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can make you one (with a watery coffee) daily for an inflated price. Just PM.

I can even pretend to misunderstand your order and then slam it down with a air of utter disinterest for added authenticity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

couldnt give a fiddlers fart really, ive never once 'eaten' in one of their outlets and the only thing i feel bad about is that people are losing their jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I do actually like OBriens coffee but agree that it is over priced massively they have done very little to compete with other chains.I was recently (very rudely told) a customer stamp card that i had for less than 6 mths was out date and id have to start again on a new one. Cue me going "you either stamp the card or you can take the coffee back"..they took the coffee back.

Their customer service is awful...every business should take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

With any luck this will have a Domino's effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

With any luck this will have a Domino's effect
    Domino's aren't that bad. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

i havent gone back to o briens since they put ham and cheese in a plastic container like something you'd get a chinese in, and microwaved it, while the 2 slices of toast were toasted one 1 of those rotating grill yokes...

thats ****in rotten. why dont they have a sandwich/panini maker thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Used to be a regular customer, another fan of the chicken and bacon triple decker which was the only sandwich there worth the price tbh.

Haven't been there in a while though. On my last visit, I thought I'd get a late evening sandwich at the Westmoreland St. outlet. Man, the thing was rank. I was disappointed that the business would compromise the quality of their ingredients (not that they were astounding to begin with, but this sandwich was especially bad) to extend their opening hours. That one experience honestly put me off so much and I've never been back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Their problem is that as franchises they're not all centralised. Thus some are lovely, others are horrendous.

I know that they sued one of their franchisees a while ago for bringing their reputation down.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Interesting factoid:
    There's an O'Briens sandwich bar in the shopping center underneath the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.

Interesting, hmm? There's also a clothes shop called Wanko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Interesting factoid:
    There's an O'Briens sandwich bar in the shopping center underneath the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.

Interesting, hmm? There's also a clothes shop called Wanko.
    There are quite a few O'Briens here, I know 6 or so outlets in the KL area.

Popular enough at lunch time but a factor of 2 to 3 costlier than hawker food. Streets ahead of the competition in sandwiches here (IMHO). Obviously not the case back home.

Interesting factoid ... the crispy 'bacon' in outlets here is not pork ... :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Haven't been there in a while though. On my last visit, I thought I'd get a late evening sandwich at the Westmoreland St. outlet. Man, the thing was rank. I was disappointed that the business would compromise the quality of their ingredients (not that they were astounding to begin with, but this sandwich was especially bad) to extend their opening hours. That one experience honestly put me off so much and I've never been back since.

I think this is where they went wrong.

They started with good quality ingredients an charged a premioum price.

However, they then got greedy. They decreased the quality of ingredients and service but still charged the same premium price and in some cases mae price increases.

People then voted with their feet.......and look where they are now.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I go in there once a week at lunch time. It is expensive to be fair. Between 9 and 10 euro for a coffee, sandwich and a packet of crisps. By right that should be closer to 7 euro. It was nice to sit down and have a read of the paper by myself though which was the only reason i would go in there.

I feel sorry for the staff in the one near work (Ballincollig). Some very lovely people working there. Hopefully they won't lose their jobs.

Heres also hoping the big wigs in the company who charged these ridiculous prices across the country suffer for it or at least wake the f^ck up!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The one in UCD is a rip-off shop and quality's gone awful ... in the health sciences building of all places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Red Alert wrote: »
    The one in UCD is a rip-off shop and quality's gone awful ... in the health sciences building of all places.

It's subsidised and costs less than a normal one.

Quality's ok rather than awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Looks like I'm on my own in mourning here...

Chicken and bacon triple decker, the reason I exist. Expensive, maybe, but if I eat nothing else for the rest of my life I would die a happy happy man. They're just unbelievably good.

I've had many of them in Stillorgan whilst waiting for my daughter to finish a Birthday party in the leisureplex. Feckin lovely.

the thing is, they are a glorified greasy spoon, charging Starbucks type prices, it was never going to last.

plus you can get a decent bagette in spar for half the price.
    stovelid wrote: »
    I can make you one (with a watery coffee) daily for an inflated price. Just PM.

I can even pretend to misunderstand your order and then slam it down with a air of utter disinterest for added authenticity.

PM sent :P

Don't forget the rocket :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's subsidised and costs less than a normal one.

Quality's ok rather than awful.

I beg to differ based on how sick I got last weekend. Also no outlets in UCD are subsidized by the college. That has been the policy of the commercial office for many years by now. Not even the main restaurant in the college is subsidized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Weren't making enough bread at the tills.

Clearly not.

On the news that Broody Sweeney guy said that the examinership applies only to head office for now, that some stores will be closing but not all.
    Their problem is that as franchises they're not all centralised. Thus some are lovely, others are horrendous.

There's a big O'Brien's near me and it's always busy, mainly because they have loads of comfy chairs and sofas and newspapers and customers are welcome to sit and read papers for as long as they want. It's not the sort of place where they are clearing your table as soon as you've finished eating to encourage you to leave. They deserve to stay open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement