Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O Briens Sandwich bars in examinership

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Very harsh comments lads and obviously many of you have not been in an O'Briens within the last year.
    They have loads of very reasonably priced sambos now for less than a fiver and cheese is no longer considered a main filling.

Shame on all of you who are rejoicing the rough times their staff and families are facing into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm assume that some of the outlets may survive as going concerns. I know a few that seem busy enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

claiva wrote: »
    Very harsh comments lads and obviously many of you have not been in an O'Briens within the last year.
    They have loads of very reasonably priced sambos now for less than a fiver and cheese is no longer considered a main filling.

Shame on all of you who are rejoicing the rough times their staff and families are facing into.

Yeah, rip off merchants should never go under, that's how we're going to get ourselves out of this economic mess (I don't think anyone rejoiced in job losses, quite the opposite).

Yeah, rip off merchants should never go under, that's how we're going to get ourselves out of this economic mess (I don't think anyone rejoiced in job losses, quite the opposite).

Please explain how "any sandwich + any coffee for €5" is a rip off ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Harsh comments? They're charging too much and others have caught up with them in quality. The centra in UCD beats them on both freshness and price. Plus the staff aren't gratuitously rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

Too expensive for what you got, nearly 10 euro for a sandwich , a few crisps and a tea not sustainable when half the country are on a 3 day week ( myself included!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

I work near the O'Briens on Abbey Street and in the Irish Life Mall. Free toast with any hot drink before 11. Buy one hot drink get one free from 10 to 11. Buy 3 hot drinks get 1 free and a pack of chocolate goldgrain. Return 5 of the cardboard sleeves or trays to the one in the Irish Life Mall and you get a free drink. Sandwich with meat and 2 fillings for €2.99. Loyalty cards (buy 10 to get one free) for as long as I can remember and the staff, who I've never found rude or I wouldn't go back, have always been a mix of nationalities including Irish. I'll be very sorry to see these rip off merchants go even though I only use them for a hot drink and toast in the mornings and have been making my own sandwiches for lunch throughout the so called boom years.

That said there are some of the franchises which are dreadful (especially when in major shopping centres for some reason). I have no idea where the €6 sandwiches are being sold but I've never seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Scootay wrote: »
    That said there are some of the franchises which are dreadful (especially when in major shopping centres for some reason). I have no idea where the €6 sandwiches are being sold but I've never seen them.

Pop down to the IFSC and the O'Briens at the Amien's street end.

6.50 for a Chicken + Bacon triple decker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well maybe if they hadn't taken the piss so much, they wouldn't be in such trouble. The reason I, and judging by the financial state of O'Brien's, many others haven't been in an O'Briens within the last year is because of poor food, rude staff and overpricing.

You lose a customer through poor practice and pricing, then you lose them for good. It's not like O'Briens have even gone out of their way to win people back. Your claims of reasonable priced sandwiches and the laughable 'cheese is meat' way of thinking being a thing of the past is the first I've heard of it. Why weren't O'Briens out there trying to win back customers?

Red Alert wrote: »
    Harsh comments? They're charging too much and others have caught up with them in quality. The centra in UCD beats them on both freshness and price. Plus the staff aren't gratuitously rude.

Do Centra provide tables and chairs...ie..somewhere to sit down and eat ?
    The reason this company are in trouble is because the rentals being charged for the floor space is far too high in the "current economic environment" (love saying that phrase btw) !

Good luck to all of you who eat in Subway.......how quickly you forget.....

Anyone with half a brain can see that if more and more people lose their jobs the country will be in a Depression as well as a Recession.
    To see so many comments slagging off an Irish owned company that is in dire trouble is sad to see.
    And frankly, its unpatriotic.
    Good day sir.

• Advertisement

Do your patriotic duty! Overpay for bland sandwiches, pay €1 for them to be toasted and to have them pratically thrown at you by surly staff. Sure it's what Dev would have wanted Begod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I work near the O'Briens on Abbey Street and in the Irish Life Mall. Free toast with any hot drink before 11. Buy one hot drink get one free from 10 to 11. Buy 3 hot drinks get 1 free and a pack of chocolate goldgrain. Return 5 of the cardboard sleeves or trays to the one in the Irish Life Mall and you get a free drink. Sandwich with meat and 2 fillings for €2.99. Loyalty cards (buy 10 to get one free) for as long as I can remember and the staff, who I've never found rude or I wouldn't go back, have always been a mix of nationalities including Irish. I'll be very sorry to see these rip off merchants go even though I only use them for a hot drink and toast in the mornings and have been making my own sandwiches for lunch throughout the so called boom years.

I like to see that companys are making an effort but it is so frustrating when there are conditions (e.g. buy one get one free from 10 to 11).

This also goes for pubs. In Ennis, some pubs have specials on Mondays, specials during matches etc. But one pub has €3.5 all drinks all day, I'll always go there because I know there are no conditions attached, I dont need a loyalty card or anything, just reduce the price, simple.

"Return 5 of the cardboard sleeves or trays to the one in the Irish Life Mall and you get a free drink." ? I just dont hang onto these things so I prob wont be able to take advantage of this deal so I probably wouldnt even try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know the guy who owns the franchise on Abbey Street. He is the nicest guy you could meet, I would be very surprised if he allowed his staff to be rude and ignorant TBH.

iirc, the Franchisee has to buy their ingredients from O'Briens, for which they pay over the top, which is why they are so expensive. If they can go it alone, then the better ones may be able to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

so the logic is, we buy expensive, low quality sandwiches off them becaure they are irish owned. That is a great business model.

Are centra not irish owned. And centra not having seats isnt an arguement either as o'briens also did takeaway. Not everyone wants to sit down.

Havent been in an o'briens for years, overpriced. Agree with previous poster soup was rank. Although they did do a special cake daily cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

"Return 5 of the cardboard sleeves or trays to the one in the Irish Life Mall and you get a free drink." ? I just dont hang onto these things so I prob wont be able to take advantage of this deal so I probably wouldnt even try.
    The point being that people want them because the cups are too hot for some to carry or they have many to carry so rather than have people just chucking them out they try to encourage customers to return them so they can be reused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Shame on anyone who is taking delight @ an Irish company potentially going out of business and and resulting job losses.

It could you YOU next.

I don't think anyone's taking delight in their problems (they haven't gone out of business). We're just saying they're crap.

I don't think anyone's taking delight in their problems (they haven't gone out of business). We're just saying they're crap.

Well the opinion poll on this thread says it all. The terminology "good riddance" being used, and clearly the result. I've seen lots of similar attitudes in relation to the motor trade.

Bad form.

It's a loaded black or white question when the answer is more grey. You give the option, "I'm sorry Irish people may lose jobs, but O'Briens was rubbish and won't be missed." And you'd most likely see that winning.

Look, if O'Briens weren't offering such a poor service, they wouldn't be in the trouble's their in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Just echoing what most people are saying, very sorry to see people losing their jobs. Hopefully some owners can get rid of the franchise and open their own place?

Anyway to me O'Briens symbolised Celtic Tiger Ireland. €6-7 euro for a sandwich???? no wonder the country is saddled with debt.

€6 euro for a bland tasteless sandwich? Yes please!

€800,000 for a bland tasteless semi-detached? Where do I sign up?!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MrPirate wrote: »
    The one in Longford was decent. And the guy who worked there in the morning was the nicest person you could ever meet!
    It actually re-opened recently... Now this.. :'(

was in there this morning, they expect the place to shut soon.

i didnt buy anything though, i just went in to see if they're closing

Well by the sounds of it, the fundamental issue revolves around the exorbitant rent being charged by the landlords. I do hope some of them have a conscience and review their rates accordingly so O'Brien's can keep going and save jobs.

In terms of the quality of the food and service, every sandwich bar (not just O'Briens) need to up their game, provide good value and stay competitive and customers will return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

According to The Irish Times ...
    its reputation at home was dented when health inspectors found cockroaches in an O’Brien’s outlet in the Stephen’s Green centre.

Says it all.

As to which branches will close, surely one of the two in the IFSC? If they leave the Irish Life Mall then there will be almost no shops left there.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    so the logic is, we buy expensive, low quality sandwiches off them becaure they are irish owned. That is a great business model.

Are centra not irish owned. And centra not having seats isnt an arguement either as o'briens also did takeaway. Not everyone wants to sit down.

Havent been in an o'briens for years, overpriced. Agree with previous poster soup was rank. Although they did do a special cake daily cheaply.

All I'm saying is it's very unfair to tar all of the shops with the same brush. And it's a sad day when we turn on one of our own.
    As far as I can recall, they have lower prices for take away food. Lets just close everywhere down and open Kwik E Marts on every corner. We'll have the choice to pay "naffink for naffink" then like our neighbours across the sea.....but then we'll all end up with BSE or worse !!!

I'm off to Greggs for a rubber ham and rennet cheese in dazzling white bread sandwich for 20p.

Somebody get me a bucket !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What difference does it make if it's an irish company? They're fecken sandwiches, we're not going to ship them in from china. Another Irish shop that charges half the price will benefit.

• Advertisement

Wow, nice hyperbole. It's not a case of 'turning on our own', it's a case of over-priced, low quality food and poor staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think when you toast a sandwich it is considered hot food and is liable to a higher rate of VAT - this may explain the ludicrous toasting charge (though subway don't charge any extra)

while I agree they are too expensive what I really dislike about O'Briens is the utter blandness of the sandwiches themselves - bland ingredients on bland catering-style bread. The likes of Insomnia, Starbucks, M&S etc may not be haute cuisine but they're light years ahead of O'Briens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I always found their sandwiches bland and tasteless no matter what was put into them and then over priced...and those God damn crisps they put on the side...:mad:

Eh? Keep the money IN the country?
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    What difference does it make if it's an irish company? They're fecken sandwiches, we're not going to ship them in from china. Another Irish shop that charges half the price will benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Their food was nice but it was overpriced and the portions are tiny :mad: Also I found some of the staff were so rude, almost as if they're trained to be mindless robots. There's no please, thank you or even a smile out of them so I'm honestly not really too miffed to see them go!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Eh? Keep the money IN the country?

What money?
    They're overcharging,people arent willing to pay it and they're going under.
    Its simple greed at the bottom of so many of these failed business ventures,irish people wont be taken for mugs when they're losing thier jobs and getting shafted by increased taxation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

The Moroccan chicken ciabata with pesto and Pine nuts for EUR6 is dead!!

Long live the humble Ham Sanshiwhich for EUR2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I wonder will Brody have to go on to Dragons Den as a contestant now.

You sandwiches are minging, overpriced and for that reason i will not be investing in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I like sandwiches.

Degsy wrote: »
    People who would rather eat sandwiches than botherto feed themselves properly desreve to be overcharged.

Whats wrong with eating sambos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Whats wrong with eating sambos?

He has a thing about eating sandwiches.
    Actually, he seems to apply it to all breaded products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Its one of the companys that "rose" with the Celtic Tiger and die's with it (albeit a bit slower than the tiger himself which is banjacked a while now"
    What other Brands or Co's can we expect to get go down the tube like O'Briens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sleipnir wrote: »
    He has a thing about eating sandwiches.
    Actually, he seems to apply it to all breaded products.

Sandwiches are for people with no drive or self respect..usually students or fat women who think a pound of mayonaise in a foot-long baguette is healthy in some way.
    Panninis are for people who wear sunglasses indoors.
    Pizzas are for fat people who like being ripped off.
    And crepes...dont get me started on crepes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sandwiches are for people with no drive or self respect..usually students or fat women who think a pound of mayonaise in a foot-long baguette is healthy in some way.

Not a fan of the old carbs, are we, Degsy?

I think it's because he once saw David McSavage eating a Subway meatball sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Even with coleslaw, butter, sauces, etc, you were still served up something which managed to feel quite dry in the mouth. Just dullness.

The idea of being directly responsible for long leases, not the franchise, is daft. As a business, how could you expose yourself like that?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'd never touch the O'Briens here for lunch, but they do have granary toast + a large tea for €1.85, its the only thing I'll (rarely) buy in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Off topic sorry, but what do you eat then? Bit like a fussy child

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

In O'B's 3 or 4 times,in Wexford for takeaway.Not as expensive as Dublin.1 to 2euro less [about ]per item.Good quality food and service but not busy.Hope the staff can continue working.Better value than takeaway sandwich in Centra. Re.getting what appeared before me in a fast food cafe elsewhere:"What's this?" I politely enquired. "Your toasted special!"she almost barked.They were obviously under pressure,but I was hungry and now quite angry,the cremation was repulsive.So, I ate the head off her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I feel sorry for the staff but O'Briens epitomised every thing that was bad about the rip-off mentality that went with the Celtic Tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

piby wrote: »
    Their food was nice but it was overpriced and the portions are tiny :mad: Also I found some of the staff were so rude, almost as if they're trained to be mindless robots. There's no please, thank you or even a smile out of them so I'm honestly not really too miffed to see them go!
    I've never heard a good word about their food and the one and only time i was forced to eat there i found out just how bland it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

sticking to Gloria Jeans way nicer anyway
    and does coffee + panini(oh fancy) for €6.50 before 12.30 ammmmmmmm........panini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

bloody cares if brody sweeney has a few probs...what is de point of this thread?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Do Centra provide tables and chairs...ie..somewhere to sit down and eat ?
    The reason this company are in trouble is because the rentals being charged for the floor space is far too high in the "current economic environment" (love saying that phrase btw) !

Good luck to all of you who eat in Subway.......how quickly you forget.....

Anyone with half a brain can see that if more and more people lose their jobs the country will be in a Depression as well as a Recession.
    To see so many comments slagging off an Irish owned company that is in dire trouble is sad to see.
    And frankly, its unpatriotic.
    Good day sir.

Someone's working for O'Brien's, and they're not on the shop floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

I'd choose a meal in O'Briens over McDonalds.

Advertisement