Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overinflated Transfers ruining the game. Discuss.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The above is simply untrue - the same people who criticised the spending of English clubs have criticised Madrid also.

Maybe you are English, I don't know. But I'll wager you are not, so why the xenophobia on their behalf?

I don't think I was xenophobic on anyones behalf.

Blatter has been harping on about English clubs for years. Platini only recently started talking about Madrid.

Blatter said on Ronaldo's signing for Madrid "'Cristiano Ronaldo's signing is good for football. It shows the market of the sport is healthy despite the world financial crisis."

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2009/03/06/sepp-blatter-launches-another-attack-on-the-premier-league

If you have read any stories from UEFA in the last 2-3 seasons you would know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

I have a solution for this fiasco

we need to have a carbon tax on prima donnas like RONALDO aka CR09.

Think of all the harmful emissions from all the hair products he gets thru per season.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I don't think I was xenophobic on anyones behalf.

Blatter has been harping on about English clubs for years. Platini only recently started talking about Madrid.

Blatter said on Ronaldo's signing for Madrid "'Cristiano Ronaldo's signing is good for football. It shows the market of the sport is healthy despite the world financial crisis."

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2009/03/06/sepp-blatter-launches-another-attack-on-the-premier-league

If you have read any stories from UEFA in the last 2-3 seasons you would know this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1192378/UEFA-chief-Michel-Platini-blasts-Real-Madrids-80m-bid-Manchester-United-star-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Englands-fault.html

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/130929

Now, ciaran, this is what UEFA has to say on the matter. Blatter, on the other hand is not from UEFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The spoiler? Seriously :D With its two non-contextual quotes. And this is your information source. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

legs11 wrote: »
    !Players like glen Johnson, a good lad and by all accounts a good player but what 17million.??

And according to today's papers a salary of 100K stg per week, which is truly bonkers.

It seems average players now are going for noting less than say 10-14million.

Absolute madness, I wonder how long will this sustain or what will be the consequences.?

It's a good time to be a pro footballer that's for sure. Great players from the past must shake their heads in disbelief when they see the salaries that average players can earn these days. There was a time not long ago when only a Zidane or a Kaka or a Ronaldinho could earn 100K per week. Now Glen frickin Johnson is getting that.

What will be the consequences? Well it's not sustainable that's for sure.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Anyone heard of supply and demand? :p

If a club is willing to pay 80 million for Ronaldo and a club is willing to sell at that price then whats the problem?

The problem, like I said above, is that this sort of madness is not sustainable.
    It's like the property bubble here, a false economy. Real Madrid might be an exception to the rule, as they don't seem to operate within the same world as everyone else (didn't the Spanish government give them a digout there a few years back when they were in financial trouble?) I know it didn't go down too well in Catalonia. But other clubs have to be living on the edge financially, and in England it would be god help them all if the Sky Sports cash-cow were to fall ill.

hasn't this argument happened since sunderland spent big in the 1950's?

Save our souls - money is ruining the game blah blah

let's change society. Revolution now. Off the pig. Smash the system.

I don't know if you're serious or just messing but really you're not exactly comparing like with like. In those days spending big probably meant that you bought your star striker a car or something. The players certainly weren't living in gated mansions and appearing on MTV Cribs that's for sure!

Yes that is what UEFA are saying in the last 4 weeks or so before that they were silent. Never mentioned big spending.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter sorry I should have said FIFA not UEFA were harping on about English clubs.

The spoiler? Seriously :D With its two non-contextual quotes. And this is your information source. :(

I used that link because it has other stories put into one post. No other reason easier to see it all on 1 page then on a few different links.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/blatter-unhappy-with-premier-league-spending-1723927.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-blatters-english-may-be-shocking-but-his-implication-for-our-game-is-clear-1640181.html

Previous from Platini too...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/4690802/Michel-Platini-aims-to-curtail-footballs-big-spending-culture.html

But Platini now seems to be including Real but in the past the only comments I read were about English teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yes that is what UEFA are saying in the last 4 weeks or so before that they were silent. Never mentioned big spending.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter sorry I should have said FIFA not UEFA were harping on about English clubs.

Blatter thinks the goals should be made bigger so we get bigger scores.
    Blatter thinks the game should be split into 4 quarters instead of 2 halves.
    Blatter thinks the 5+6, which is illegal, is good.
    Blatter thinks football players are modern slaves.
    Blatter thinks women footballers should wear tight shirts and hotpants (although i agree with that one:D) to increase popularity of the womens game.

Everyone in the football world laughs or ignores what Sepp Blatter says, you should do the same.

If everyone in World football laughs at him why do they keep re-electing him then?

I know Sepp Blatter is off his rocker. I laugh at most of his comments and cannot believe he is the FIFA president.

The thing is if Blatter keeps repeating these kinda claims people will eventually start to believe it as fact.

• Advertisement

If everyone in World football laughs at him why do they keep re-electing him then?

I know Sepp Blatter is off his rocker. I laugh at most of his comments and cannot believe he is the FIFA president.

The thing is if Blatter keeps repeating these kinda claims people will eventually start to believe it as fact.

No they won't. I remember a while ago some Italian journalist said something along the lines of: "Every morning Sepp Blatter has 51 ideas and 1 is good".
    Everyone knows he's an idiot, people won't all of a sudden change the way they think of him. If he speaks out about the premier league who cares? He can't do anything.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    No they won't. I remember a while ago some Italian journalist said something along the lines of: "Every morning Sepp Blatter has 51 ideas and 1 is good".
    Everyone knows he's an idiot, people won't all of a sudden change the way they think of him. If he speaks out about the premier league who cares? He can't do anything.

I agree 100% but why do you reckon they vote for him then ?

In the last election no one even went in oppostion to him !

I agree 100% but why do you reckon they vote for him then ?

In the last election no one even went in oppostion to him !

He has naked pictures of them in compromising positions:D
    Seriously, I have no idea who even votes, never mind why. Bush got voted in as US president twice. Demoracy doesn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It would be tough to explain why Sebb Blatter is in charge of FIFA without making potentially libelous statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

legs11 wrote: »
    I have a solution for this fiasco

we need to have a carbon tax on prima donnas like RONALDO aka CR09.

Think of all the harmful emissions from all the hair products he gets thru per season.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not to mention the methane coming from his mouth. Anyone recall before the CL final "i will be here next season" blah blah blah:D

Paparazzo wrote: »
    He has naked pictures of them in compromising positions:D
    Seriously, I have no idea who even votes, never mind why. Bush got voted in as US president twice. Demoracy doesn't work!

lol you may be right there.

I just find that if a Prewsident of any association comes out and makes wild accustations and streange ideas after a while he would be "put on gardening leave" and a new person appointed.

Just doesn't seem to happen at FIFA.

I have read 2 books about FIFA and I know you can't believe everything you read but it seems the Irish banking system would have a higher moral ground then FIFA !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement