Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6220 classic - utter sh1te.

• 09-07-2009 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Yes, theres my review. Worst phone for anyone who actually relys on their phone for functions other than what a 15 year old school girl needs.
    • Where to start....
    • It feels like a cheap korean rip of with flimsy plastic covers that continuously squeek when in use
    • When texting quickly, you will always exit your message thus deleting all your 'work', when in fact all you wanted was to delete one letter.
    • Camera - flip open the camera lid and wait for 15-20 minutes while your phone gets out of the bath, paints its toenails, straightens it hair and fianlly decides to work (basically dont be in hurry)
    • Using the menu - please see above note for speed and efficiency
    • Battery - carry a petrol powered generator with you for charging every 5 minutes
    • Auto turn off feature - yes, thats right, every so often the phone will 'reboot' itself, obviously just for the craic of course.
    • 3 network - enough said

Our company has 4 of these handsets - they all do exactly whats listed above. And try explaining any of the above to a guy named Rashid in bangalor, you learn to except you made a bad decision in life!

Sorry, rant over. Anyone else have any views on this handset?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could try upgrade the firmware on them. The latest firmware version is V5.15. Post if you need to know more how to do this, or if the software doesn't allow you, you will need to change the product code to 0549325.

Always good to transfer content on the phones to the memory card in the phone. Put apps, music, pictures and videos on the card rather than on the small phone memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I had one of these before. I bought it SIM Free and used an O2 SIM in it.

I'll agree with the exiting the text messages .. kept hitting the wrong button!

Other than that I think I think I found it alright (search some of my old posts, I'm sure I commented on it).

It does feel a bit plastic / cheap but it's a pretty solid phone. Not as powerful as the n95 I have now though I don't think.

Dabko wrote: »
    When texting quickly, you will always exit your message thus deleting all your 'work', when in fact all you wanted was to delete one letter.

Forgot to say in the first post, did the message not save in the drats folder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

From what I remember it wouldn't happen. The buttons you could press were so counter-intuitive or poorly positioned you'd just lose it each time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Davy wrote: »
    You could try upgrade the firmware on them. The latest firmware version is V5.15. Post if you need to know more how to do this, or if the software doesn't allow you, you will need to change the product code to 0549325.

Always good to transfer content on the phones to the memory card in the phone. Put apps, music, pictures and videos on the card rather than on the small phone memory.

Can I get some more info on this?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Can I get some more info on this?

Cheers.

Ok a lot of info in this, and im not sure how much you are familiar with this.

First step would be to check your software version on the phone. Press *#0000# and then send/call button. A screen will popup and tell you what the current software version is.

If its less then V5.15 you need to try NSU - nokia software updater. Download it to your Pc HERE.

When you connect the phone to the computer, it will tell you if their is available updates for your phone. If it does good and well (you need to backup the phone before you do using Nokia PC suite), if it says you are up-to-date but you haven't got version 5.15 then you need to change your product code.

You need to install Nemesis Service Suite.

Open the program and then click the "Scan for new Device" icon in the top right of the screen.

Click the "Phone Info" button at the top of the screen.

Then click the "Read" button.

This will show you the current product code on your phone, you now need to change this to the new one.

Then check the 'enable box' and click the "Write button".

You can check the code by clicking the read button again, and it should show you the new code.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Davy - Where would I get my hands on the Nemesis Service Suite? I have the 6220 bought it as an upgrade in March but my software is running on 4.13 - I don't use it as my everyday phone because I just needed it specifically for Skype and 3s priceplans didnt suit me. I did have the texting problem like Random but in all found it to be fine for my needs no heavy use though!! I agree about the comments on 3s Customer Care they are shocking and have to be the worst of the Networks I have used in the past 02, Vodafone currently Meteor! :D:D

kilsmum wrote: »
    Davy - Where would I get my hands on the Nemesis Service Suite?

http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/NSSDownloadLanding.htm :)

Cheers Davy - I'll give it a lash and let you know how I fare!!;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sligoselfbuild

Kilsmum - how'd you get on with this?

just seen the thread and as i've been enjoying the auto shut-down on the 6220 for the past while i'd be interested to see if this works.

• Advertisement

Never got the Nemesis Service Suite to work - Got an error saying Reading Values.... Error!!

There was an F1 Upgrade program that downloaded with the Nemesis Service Suite and I wonder does it have something to do with it.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction:):):)

kilsmum wrote: »
    Never got the Nemesis Service Suite to work - Got an error saying Reading Values.... Error!!

There was an F1 Upgrade program that downloaded with the Nemesis Service Suite and I wonder does it have something to do with it.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction:):):)

Ok - Update - Tried the Nemesis Service Suite again and it worked!!! - Currently updating my phone software from 4.13 to 5.15 will let you know how it works out:):):):)

Update was successful - how do I now put the 3 Ireland internet settings on the phone again??

I want to install Skype on the phone again because it got wiped off in the update process.

Thanks

Kilsmum:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sml68

Dabko wrote: »
    Yes, theres my review. Worst phone for anyone who actually relys on their phone for functions other than what a 15 year old school girl needs.
    • Where to start....
    • It feels like a cheap korean rip of with flimsy plastic covers that continuously squeek when in use
    • When texting quickly, you will always exit your message thus deleting all your 'work', when in fact all you wanted was to delete one letter.
    • Camera - flip open the camera lid and wait for 15-20 minutes while your phone gets out of the bath, paints its toenails, straightens it hair and fianlly decides to work (basically dont be in hurry)
    • Using the menu - please see above note for speed and efficiency
    • Battery - carry a petrol powered generator with you for charging every 5 minutes
    • Auto turn off feature - yes, thats right, every so often the phone will 'reboot' itself, obviously just for the craic of course.
    • 3 network - enough said
    Our company has 4 of these handsets - they all do exactly whats listed above. And try explaining any of the above to a guy named Rashid in bangalor, you learn to except you made a bad decision in life!

Sorry, rant over. Anyone else have any views on this handset?

Enjoyed that review, cheers mate!!

Advertisement