Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Limerick?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Have a possible job opportunity in Limerick - just wondering if commuting is a viable option - does anyone do it! Also unless I get lift, I'd be relying on public transport...is it possible at all?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Gosh I don't know Cathkins, my boyfriend commuted three times a week last year for college, relying on public transport.. he's often be up at 6 to get a bus to get him down on time and some evenings he would miss the bus to town (he was in UL) and have to wait for the next one...and was wrecked and wouldn't recommend it at all...maybe others have different experiences but it's a toughie, especially if it's a five 5 week and long term..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

A mate of mine in work commutes from Crusheen to Galway every day. I don't know if I could do it from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It would depend what part of Limerick to what part of Galway, also what times would you be travelling at?

I know two people who commute this at the moment.

Driving it would be borderline but no way on public transport imo. I drive Co Galway to Cork on a Monday and back on a Friday. Galway to Limerick, best case driving it would be about an hour(driving fairly fast) but the road from Oranmore to the dual-carriageway can be a disaster with slow moving traffic so it will almost always take longer. Although I did it in about 50 mins once from oranmore :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Cathkins wrote: »
    Have a possible job opportunity in Limerick - just wondering if commuting is a viable option - does anyone do it! Also unless I get lift, I'd be relying on public transport...is it possible at all?!

Its about 1hr and 15 min drive to Limerick its really a long commute. What part of the city is the job in? Rent is very cheap in Limerick in comparison to other cities in Ireland. Rail option will be available on September as the Galway-Athenry-Ennis-Limerick line will be reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

tech2 wrote: »
    Its about 1hr and 15 min drive to Limerick its really a long commute. What part of the city is the job in? Rent is very cheap in Limerick in comparison to other cities in Ireland. Rail option will be available on September as the Galway-Athenry-Ennis-Limerick line will be reopened.
    I suggest you have a look at the monster thread on Commuting & Transport about the Western Rail Corridor.

At best, with the wind behind it and Ayrton Senna's ghost driving, the train will be 1h 45m or thereabouts.

Robbo wrote: »
    I suggest you have a look at the monster thread on Commuting & Transport about the Western Rail Corridor.

I am a regular contributor to the community and transport forum mainly the development on road infrastructure of the motorway network under construction. Although I have looked at the WRC thread from time to time much of it is useless tripe and has no information on the scheme at all.
    At best, with the wind behind it and Ayrton Senna's ghost driving, the train will be 1h 45m or thereabouts

Is that valid or an estimate. Bear in mind a bus journey takes 2hr 25mins but obviously much cheaper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

tech2 wrote: »
    Is that valid or an estimate. Bear in mind a bus journey takes 2hr 25mins but obviously much cheaper.
    It's been worked out on the Limerick-Ennis + Galway-Athenry times + An estimate of Ennis Athenry, allowing for the driver to switch ends of the train due to the Bolivian switchback.

I believe Citylink have a direct Bus into Limerick these days that's much quicker than the Bus Eireann one and will be easily 1h30m when the next leg of dualler is opened.

Robbo wrote: »
    I believe Citylink have a direct Bus into Limerick these days that's much quicker than the Bus Eireann one and will be easily 1h30m when the next leg of dualler is opened.

Gort-Crusheen will be done by September next year and Shannon-Ennis is on the way to be reclassified as Motorway so maybe the journey time on the citylink could be done in less? If thats the case it aint bad.

OP, are you commited to living in Galway because it is a long commute every day. I'm paying 45 euro per week for a room with ensuite in the raheen area of Limerick so it made no sense for me to commute every day from Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

On public transport I would say it's next to impossible.

If you could car-pool it might be slightly more manageable.

The road from Galway to Crusheen is fairly poor, in the sense that's there's very few places to safely overtake and passes through a few busy-ish towns. Some days you might drive it under an hour, and some days it will take over an hour and a half. It's a lot to give away 2 and half hours to three hours a day daily to a commute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cathkins

Hmmm so it's looking like carpooling might be best option! Anybody know of anyone who does this journey and may be willing to carpool!?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Figerty

Would you consider moving to Ennis? Rent a room, commute on the train or bus and you are still close to Galway with out the long commute and the red eyes....

That kind of travel will kill you in the end. 4 hours a day in a car for nothing, 20 hours a week, 1000 hours or so a year just to get to work. It ain't worth it.

Cathkins wrote: »
    Hmmm so it's looking like carpooling might be best option! Anybody know of anyone who does this journey and may be willing to carpool!?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If it was me I would just move to Limerick. Giving up 2.5 to 3 hours of your day every day might be okay in the short term but is not a good idea long term.

The hardest part about driving to Limerick is getting out of Galway. As already pointed out, the traffic through Ardrahan, Kilcolgan, Crusheen and Gort can be very slow at times and the narrow bendy road doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Citylink do a service to Limerick. A lot of the companies are open to giving commuter rates too. Beats driving in some ways imo, if you bring a book and can work on your laptop! Hour and a half commute (ish, I'd say) and you wouldn't get to work until 10.15 at earliest, if that were even doable.
    Better options coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

malice_ wrote: »
    If it was me I would just move to Limerick. Giving up 2.5 to 3 hours of your day every day might be okay in the short term but is not a good idea long term.

The hardest part about driving to Limerick is getting out of Galway. As already pointed out, the traffic through Ardrahan, Kilcolgan, Crusheen and Gort can be very slow at times and the narrow bendy road doesn't help.

^ What he said.

A commute like that would break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

A person i know was doing an hour and 15 minute commute each way to work everyday for over a year and it broke him, had to move eventually.
    He was just home when he'd be thinkin about goin to work again!
    don't do it, it will demorilise ya. We're here for a good time not a long time so there's no point lettin work rule your life!

Another thing to worry about is that the industrial estates in Limerick are on the far side of the Shannon to Galway, getting to the outskirts of Limerick is fine, but getting across the river and town can take ages. Where is the job in Limerick (city centre, Raheen, Castletroy etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I looked at this a while ago, came to the conclusion that it wasn't a go-er, especially once you add in time to travel from your place to the bus-stop in Galway, and then Limerick bus-station to where-ever work is.

Someone else suggested Ennis: that's what I was considering too, seems like it might be an option.

Moving to Limerick wasn't an option for me: the rellies might think I'm moving closer to try and steal their farms ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Moving to Ennis wouldnt be a bad option,lived there for a few months earlier this year, in itself it is pretty much an hour to Galway. Worked with a girl who lived in Limerick and commuted to Ennis and found it no bother. Might be a bit harder going Ennis to limerick but still better than Galway to limerick

Why would you bother to move to Ennis and not just move to Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

That comment in itself is going to turn this thread into a glorious Limerick bashing marathon, which I heartily look forward to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why would you bother to move to Ennis and not just move to Limerick?

Perhaps because you like the amazing artistic/cultural/music scene that Galway offers. Or you have friends/family here who you want to see often. Or commitments to a sports team here.
    (Hee, three good reasons, and no mention of knives any any of 'em!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Anyone know the quickest way to Raheen Industrial Estate in Limerick by car from Galway & how long would it take in the mornings?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

maps.google.com www.viamichelin.com both say an 1.40 hours, but you best add time for delays inside the cities

Advertisement