Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's a fly in my apartment, what should I do?

• 09-07-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Ok so my flatmate is away at the moment. When he left, a fly moved in. At first I didn't mind him, he liked landing on me and I found it interesting that I could feel him walk on me even through my clothes. He was good, unobtrusive company.

However this is the third day now. I am wearing less clothes and the fly keeps on landing me. He is getting worse and worse and more familiar. He walks on my back and makes buzzy noises more often. He lands on me more than any other thing in this room. He tickles me now in a really frustrating way.

What do I do? I never (deliberately) killed a fly before, and I don't want to kill a living thing - but this guy is driving me men-tal! :confused:

I used to pride myself on the 'there's no flies on me!' joke. But I can't say that now.

Any advice is welcome. I have tried showering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ghostbusters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Maybe put outa sugary cake? If it was me id kill it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Get some soup - apparently they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

axer wrote: »
    Get some soup - apparently they love it.
    Is that not only in restaurants though?
    He is landing on my back as I try to type this. I hate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Make sure you've no sources of radiation in the place.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091064/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Stage one: Buy a can of fly spray.
    Stage two: Throw the can at the fly.
    Stage three: Bin the dead fly.

Problem solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Sorry OP, you'll have to move home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

loloray wrote: »
    Is that not only in restaurants though?
    He is landing on my back as I try to type this. I hate him.

YOu have to tell him that, or he won't know his love is unrequited.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Turn off all the lights and leave the front door open for a while..

Then give me your address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

This seems like a perfectly reasonable thread from somebody who is in no way trying / failing miserably to troll.

I think I shall help this indavidual.

All you need to do is purchace a set of these.
    They make catching flies easy and fun.
    Then you can release him out of a window at your leisure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OP, I threw a chemistry book at a fly that was bothering me. I think it worked out pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Spray him with something. When he hits the floor let the post-mortem commence. Pick off his wings and legs one by one. Squish him just enough to let a little juice out, but not enough to kill him completely. I get bored after this.. so you could light a candle and finish him off this way, or you could just flush him down the toilet.

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Do a Obama on it !
    I'm sooo not as slick as him.
    FreeFallin wrote:
    Turn off all the lights
    The lights are off. It's daytime over here in Ireland.
    FreeFallin wrote:
    Then give me your address.
    So you can rescue me or rob my apartment? Are you malevolent or benevolent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Marry it before it dies and you get 3 wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Simply open a window... and jump out. The apartment is now his.

phasers wrote: »
    OP, I threw a chemistry book at a fly that was bothering me. I think it worked out pretty well.
    I don't have a chemistry book and if I order one from Amazon it will take at least until after the weekend till one arrives. :( Does any chemistry book work or is there a particular one or author that I should look order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Get a pet spider.

You could send in my mother in law.
    She can clear a room in 30 seconds!

I don't have a chemistry book and if I order one from Amazon it will take at least until after the weekend till one arrives. :( Does any chemistry book work or is there a particular one or author that I should look order?
    Make sure it includes a chapter on the history of the periodic table and you're sorted. Until then, try to reason with the fly. Offer him dinner, maybe watch a DVD together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mate with it, and over time you'll slowly become lord of the flies

Get one can of hair spray and a lighter, instant flamethrower, shoot it down. :)

Offer him dinner, maybe watch a DVD together
    But I hate him! I try not to eat with things that I hate.
    lord of the flies
    Damnit I need a sex change for that though, just my luck would be he'd be Lord of the Flies and then he'd still be walking all over me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I know an old woman who swallowed a fly...
    it didnt end well.

But I hate him! I try not to eat with things that I hate.
    I know, I know. But you can lull him into a false sense of security, invite him to the cinema then lock him out when he goes to get into the taxi.

I know, I know. But you can lull him into a false sense of security, invite him to the cinema then lock him out when he goes to get into the taxi.
    Ok I'm gonna try that now.

Get one can of hair spray and a lighter, instant flamethrower, shoot it down.

I like that :pac:

Never a damn fly around when you need one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Whatever you do, don't use the teleporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Throw your laptop/desktop/moblie or what ever it is that you are using to post here. Then everyone will be a winner. Fly will be dead and we wont need to look at stupid threads again.

• Advertisement

Ok I'm gonna try that now.
    Good luck! Remember, you have to build up his trust because he probably knows that you hate him by now

Abigayle wrote: »
    Never a damn fly around when you need one.
    Abigayle. You sound evil. Would you like to visit me this evening?
    On the menu is some nice French wine, Indian vegetarian homemade food and homemade chocolate ice-cream.

On the menu is some nice French wine, Indian vegetarian homemade food and homemade chocolate ice-cream.
    Be careful with the international fare, flies are renowned xenophobics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

There's a fly in my apartment, what should I do?
    "Gonna fix that fly, that's what I'm gonna do.. gonna fix that fly"

No one will understand that will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ok so my flatmate is away at the moment. When he left, a fly moved in. At first I didn't mind him, he liked landing on me and I found it interesting that I could feel him walk on me even through my clothes. He was good, unobtrusive company.

However this is the third day now. I am wearing less clothes and the fly keeps on landing me. He is getting worse and worse and more familiar. He walks on my back and makes buzzy noises more often. He lands on me more than any other thing in this room. He tickles me now in a really frustrating way.

What do I do? I never (deliberately) killed a fly before, and I don't want to kill a living thing - but this guy is driving me men-tal! :confused:

I used to pride myself on the 'there's no flies on me!' joke. But I can't say that now.

like that old joke. Guy ushers a waiter and says there a fly in my wine. Waiter replies "Quiet sir, or everyone will want one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No pets allowed, GTFO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you can't reason with him, do what pebbles said and Obama his ass.

Abigayle. You sound evil. Would you like to visit me this evening?
    Thanks for the invite, 'fraid I'm gonna have to let you down though. Let me know when you liver, fava beans, and a nice chianti on the go, then I'm all yours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Poor lil guy, he's only trying to keep you company. :(

Give UB40 a ring and ask them what did they do when they last found vermin in their kitchen!
    Just don't make a song and dance about it though!

Bet your sorry you asked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

At least you don't have a rat in your kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Ivona Tinkle

Shoe fly dont bother me
    Shoe fly dont bother me
    shoe fly dont bother me
    I dont want your company :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

toughen up buttercup and grab a cup and catch him and put him outside

alternatively squash him its not like it has a soul or anything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sounds-right

this is a battle of wits
    Maybe he's on his little pc as we speak discussing on a little fly version of boards how to get rid of you without killing you....... the waiting game begins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Miley Cirus song '' fly on the wall '' will be in my head all evening ,,,you do know this OP ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Flys generally only live from one to three days.

Give it a few hours.

Banter Joe wrote: »
    Flys generally only live from one to three days.

Give it a few hours.

Wiki wrote:
    The housefly (also house fly, house-fly or common housefly), Musca domestica, is the most common of all flies flying in homes, and indeed one of the most widely distributed insects; it is often considered a pest that can carry serious diseases.

In colder climates, houseflies survive only with humans. They have a tendency to aggregate and are difficult to dispel. They are capable of carrying over 100 pathogens, such as typhoid, cholera, Salmonella, bacillary dysentery, tuberculosis, anthrax, ophthalmia, and parasitic worms. The flies in poorer and lower-hygienic areas usually carry more pathogens. Some strains have become immune to most common insecticides.

House flies feed on liquid or semi-liquid substances beside solid material which has been softened by saliva or vomit. Because of their high intake of food, they deposit feces constantly, one of the factors that makes the insect a dangerous carrier of pathogens. Although they are domestic flies, usually confined to the human habitations, they can fly for several miles from the breeding place. They are active only in daytime and rest at night e.g. at the corners of rooms, ceiling hangings, etc.

Housefly as a vector of disease

Mechanical transmission of organisms on its hairs, mouthparts, vomitus and feces:
    parasitic diseases: Cysts of protozoa e.g. Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia lamblia and eggs of helminths e.g.:Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichuros trichura, Haemenolypes nana, Enterobius vermicularis.
    bacterial diseases: Typhoid, cholera, dysentery, pyogenic cocci...etc. House flies have been demonstrated to be vectors of Campylobacter and E. coli O157:H7 using PCR [6]. House flies can be monitored for bacterial pathogens using filter paper spot cards and PCR [7]
    Viruses: Enteroviruses: Poliomyelitis, infective hepatitis (A & E)..etc

Torture ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In order for A Fly to digest the food it's just landed on, it has to crap on it to soften it up , hence all that mooonwalking all over the food .....

Latchy wrote: »
    In order for A Fly to digest the food it's just landed on, it has to crap on it to soften it up , hence all that mooonwalking all over the food .....
    Way to kill a funny thread. get the message!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Just ignore him. I know this will be hard for you for to do but eventuall he'll get the message

• Advertisement
Advertisement