Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning after 3 years

• 09-07-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

As the title says I'm back to bikes after 3 years. My lat bike was a 99 CBR 600, however I've had all sorts from virago 125 to intruder 1500 to Blackbird.
    So heres the issue what do I buy? I have a decent enough quote from Adelaide insurance in the north, considering I have 2 points on the licence and a claim on the car in the last year.
    I was thinking Fazer/Bandit 600 though it seems Deauville is a couple of groups lower insurance and something like a GPZ500 is lower again.
    The bike is purely for pleasure weekends away and would be kept around 2 years to rebuild a no claims.
    So any other suggestions?
    Thanks for looking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

OK, well seeing as youve had a few, you dont really need advice, more opinions. I currently Own an 09 Fazer 600 S2 and I'm genuinely in love with it. I got panniers on it and it;s a proper post-middle weight tourer. If your serious about one, your more than welcome to come out andhave a good look at mine.

As you know there's a bike for everything. Personally, the only thing I'd replace my bike with is and FJR1300, so you can see how much I think of my bike. So please, let us know what you want to get out of it, we'll throw a few opinions out there and hopefully we'll get you out on the next ride out that gets arranged for the boards crew:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Well if your only looking to build up your no claims why not get a 4 or 500 like you said and build it up with a cheaper quote:) are quinn direct not quoting you cheaper then the northy shower??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Hey donkey
    What I want is for it to keep me interested for a couple of years, short range touring here and the UK Sunday spins etc. I'm liking the idea of the boards spins:D.
    Oh not terrifically expensive to run insure etc. I'm leaning to the Deauville having a look at one on monday.
    tbay I'm not sure the 500 option would keep me interested for 2/3 years although I do like the kwacker GPz500. Rode one in Wales before and really enjoyed it. Are quinn normally cheaper than Adelaide. Their a good deal more expensive for me. Why do you call Adelaide a shower is there some problem with them I don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

It really depends who you talk to. In general Ive heard Quinn to be cheaper and they are for me, but another guy I know swears by Adelaide. Apparently whenever he's had a problem, they always helped him out, collected his bike, paid up etc. Quinn are known for being hard to deal with in the event you need them, but Im with them cos I simply cannot afford to pay more.

For my bike with the touring panniers I paid 9000 brand new (Fazer 600 S2), this may be a bit more than your willing to pay if just getting back into it. You can easily pick up an older fazer for a great price and when kitted out it's a more than capable tourer. Touring was something I really like to do too.

The Deauville 700 is also a good choice as it's comfortable and has built in storage. I happen to know GP motors have a Deauville for around about 3500 at the moment. It's a solid bike, just I prefer a slightly more sporty look. It's a preference, that's all. What is you budget exactly if I may ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

The budget is not huge around the 2500 just wnting to get back in without destroying the savings. I'd be looking towards late 90's, the deauville is a 98 one of the first 650 models but it looks ok on paper.

I'm suprised quinn seem to be more expensive for me I must check out aon and carole nash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement