Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

we need to talk about ross (new book; might have spoilers)

Options
  • 09-07-2009 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I'm nearly finished this book.
    I read all the other ones in the series, and liked them. They are engaging, funny books.
    I'm a bit disappointed with this one.
    The narrator is not Ross this time, but an interviewer writing a book about him, who is interviewing the characters about previous events. This means you see some of the characters from very different angles.
    Nothing much new happens with Ross, but there are new backstories given for his parents. In fact the title is a bit of misnomer, because most of the focus seems to be on them, not Ross at all.
    Events in the previous books are also discussed in the interviews. There's quite a bit of deconstruction of the previous books, and the characters, to the point where it borders on retconning. He seems to want to make some of the main characters into really nice people, when a lot of the humour of the series has come from laughing at them because they're not nice people.
    It's not a very funny book. The narrator is pretty dry. There's too much dry sociopolitical commentary and exposition. All of the previous books had at least one laugh-out-loud moment for me. This one has barely raised a smile.

edit: Finished it now. It doesn't just border on retconning; there's quite a lot of it. I found this irritating.

Advertisement