Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie- rip-off

Options
  • 09-07-2009 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/
    https://www.bdmonline.ie
    https://www.groireland.ie

Looking to get a couple of birth certs ordered so googled "births, deaths and marriages" and first up was http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/.

Long Form Birth Certificate/Death Cert/Marriage Cert/Adoption Cert: €30.00 Express within Ireland only €40.50.

Cost for a birth cert direct from The General Registrar's Office groireland.ie is €10 and you can fax your request.

I presume that, as bdmonline.ie is a corporate body it must apply to The General Registrar's office for birth certs just like anyone else
    At a minimum of triple the price for the same product, I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

domain: bdmonline.ie
    descr: BIRTHS DEATHS MARRIAGES LIMITED
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: AAV206-IEDR
    tech-c: HH36-IEDR
    renewal: 28-July-2010
    nserver: ns1.hosting365.ie
    nserver: ns2.hosting365.ie
    source: IEDR
    person: Jacquie O Sullivan
    nic-hdl: AAV206-IEDR
    person: Hosting 365 Hostmaster
    nic-hdl: HH36-IEDR

domain: groireland.ie
    descr: Department of Social & Family Affairs
    descr: Statutory Body
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: TOL4-IEDR
    tech-c: TOL4-IEDR
    renewal: 14-June-2009
    nserver: AUTH01.NS.ESAT.NET
    nserver: SEC01.NS.ESAT.NET

person: Paul Hannon
    nic-hdl: TOL4-IEDR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I assume they have to send people to queue up like everyone else for certificates. That would be where the cost is involved. What people don't realise is that certs for all over the country can be obtained form your local office. No need to go to Dublin anymore if you live in Cork for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well, the General Registrar's website has a link to an application form which says you can fax the request to them in Roscommon and pay by credit card. So presumably they have the facility to post it too.
    Otherwise you'd have to head to Roscommon after faxing and paying by CC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed. So their service is simply reselling the certs. I see what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Well, the General Registrar's website has a link to an application form which says you can fax the request to them in Roscommon and pay by credit card. So presumably they have the facility to post it too.
    Otherwise you'd have to head to Roscommon after faxing and paying by CC!

Used this service 2 weeks ago(General Registrar) got the requested cert out within 1 week, can't understand why it would pay to go with the other crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Genealogy_Guy

tweety76 wrote: »
    Used this service 2 weeks ago(General Registrar) got the requested cert out within 1 week, can't understand why it would pay to go with the other crowd

Until the General Register Office sets up an official online ordering service (not in my lifetime, bah, humbug), there will always be private companies/individuals providing an intermediary service. These companies have setup their own online ordering services for the supply of certificates. If you trust them with your credit card details, they will get and post to you the official certificate a few days later. Their prices vary, none as cheap as €10 though.

www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie €30.00 - Ireland, €40.50 - Worldwide

www.Irish-Certificates.ie €25.00 - Ireland and Worldwide

www.irishcerts.ie €30.00 - Ireland, €40.00 Worldwide

www.recordsireland.ie €40.00 - Ireland and Worldwide

If you g00gle for "irish birth certificates", you will see companies based in the UK are even touting this service.:eek:

Regards
    Genealogy Guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Can't see any rip off here.

Basically you are being charged €15 / €20 for a service in addition to the cost of the cert.

If the cert cost €100, the cost of these sites would probably be €115 / €120 and then you would probably say 15%-20% is a small fee.

If it takes the hassle out of something, then some people are willing to pay for the service. If you are willing to do a small amount of work you can save - but its the same as most service based professions.

Due to my hating Ironing, I have my shirts Ironed @ €1 each - if I spent 1 hour at it, I could save €30. - But I hate it so much, I see value in having someone else do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Morgans

Id agree with a lot of what Mccaul says in that its not technically a rip off, but it does seem to work on ignorance of those who come across the site. People have an idea how much ironing a shirt costs and you decide to pay for the service. You have made the decision of whether the service is worth it. Im not sure how people understand how much the documents actually costs and after realising the costs of doing it themselves they actively choose to use the service for an added 300%. Looks like the companies are exploiting an ignorance loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miffy1

The problem I have with these people is that they charge before ascertaining whether or not they can provide the service they offer, then refuse to refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Miffy1 wrote: »
    The problem I have with these people is that they charge before ascertaining whether or not they can provide the service they offer, then refuse to refund.

Phone up your credit card company, saying you didnt get the goods/service you ordered and request a chargeback, enough complaints and the credit card companies will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

5q89g.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement