Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodmans Floor Standing HiFi speakers- tweeter not working!

• 09-07-2009 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a pair of these and the tweeter in both is not working! I knew something was wrong straight away when they sounded muffled. I looked inside and everything is wired up properly! Strange! The tweeters look real too. There's a capacitor on the tweeter that says ELNA RBP2 50v. The woofers have something on them marked PX5W 2ΩJ. These, I would assume, separate out the freqs. I'm baffled as to why the tweeters produce no sound.

Any thoughts?

These are the ones:

56ad333f6d98dff6bd0d640eb6adceaa81fbffbb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a pair of these and the tweeter in both is not working! I knew something was wrong straight away when they sounded muffled. I looked inside and everything is wired up properly! Strange! The tweeters look real too. There's a capacitor on the tweeter that says ELNA RBP2 50v. The woofers have something on them marked PX5W 2ΩJ. These, I would assume, separate out the freqs. I'm baffled as to why the tweeters produce no sound.

Any thoughts?

These are the ones:

56ad333f6d98dff6bd0d640eb6adceaa81fbffbb.jpg

are they bi-wirable by any chance? It sounds like (no pun intended there) that you only have a signal going to the woofers. If there are two sets of sockets on the rear of the speakers they should be joined - usually by a brass coupler. Anything like that still in the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

No no - turns out both tweeters were just blown! How weird is that? I replaced them with something temporary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I blew a pair of tweeters in a set of Goodmans floor speakers by connecting the turntable without first attaching the ground wire. I bought a pair of decent quality, similar tweeters and fitted them.

What size were the old ones and where did you get the replacements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

They were dome tweeters - about 100mm or less. The mounting plate was 100mm but obviously the tweeter dome was considerably smaller. I got the replacements from Peats but that was more than 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

Ah, back when Peat's really was the world of electronics, and not just computer and home theatre systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ah, back when Peat's really was the world of electronics, and not just computer and home theatre systems.

You've got to move with the market otherwise you go out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

they still do a lot of 'parts' but you might have better luck getting a tweeter from Maplins, Radionics or d'internet.

Advertisement