Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4gig of ram showing up as 3gig in 64bit vista

• 09-07-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

As title, any ideas why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

k99_64 wrote: »
    As title, any ideas why?

What does the BIOS report as present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

4096mb memory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

4096mb memory.

Have you turned on the BIOS option to remap addresses above the 64bit limit?

Spear wrote: »
    Have you turned on the BIOS option to remap addresses above the 64bit limit?

How would one do that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How would one do that?

Just find the option in the BIOS and turn it on. The exact wording may vary somewhat though.

• Advertisement

cheers spear

Ok the remapping was on auto, changing 4gb to 3072mb, i disabled it and my avaible memory went to 3072, I then enabled remapping again and its changing 4gb to 3072

Ok the remapping was on auto, changing 4gb to 3072mb, i disabled it and my avaible memory went to 3072, I then enabled remapping again and its changing 4gb to 3072

Remapping should definitely be on. What video card do you have? Is it integrated? Have you installed SP1 or higher?

Remapping should definitely be on. What video card do you have? Is it integrated? Have you installed SP1 or higher?

8600 gts, 1gig on the card, i have installed all the updates its promoted me too, it was showing up 4gigs when i first got the comp built, now its showing up 3gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

have you done any bios updates?

• Advertisement

not a one.

8600 gts, 1gig on the card, i have installed all the updates its promoted me too, it was showing up 4gigs when i first got the comp built, now its showing up 3gigs.

Check the system properties window in Vista. From SP1 onwards it should show the physically present memory, regardless of the memory mapping.

Its saying 3071mb ram

My apologies i thought i had sp1 pack installed, installing now.

Sp1 did the trick! WOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

nice one..now you can upgrade it to SP2 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sp1 did the trick! WOO!

Are you sure you have a 64bit OS installed? Sounds like its 32.......

Are you sure you have a 64bit OS installed? Sounds like its 32.......

I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I don't know of any surefire to check the addressable memory versus the phsyical in Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I don't know of any surefire to check the addressable memory versus the phsyical in Vista.

Right under the ram in System properties in Vista is system type followed by either 32 or 64 bit.

If you needed to install a service pack to view the remaining ram then my first assumption is that you have a 32 bit OS, as the patch to allow users to see the total ram rather then the addressable ram was issued to 32 bit Windows OS's.

Advertisement