Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Landlord

Options
  • 09-07-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I have a massive problem regarding house I'm renting with 2of my friends.
    We have just recently met with our landlord regarding some work carried out in the garden and he told us that he had been made redundant and actually our rent payments secure his own mortgage. I wouldn't have any problem with that but when we were trying to move out last year, he said that he would need some time to pay us our deposit, so presuming that he has no job and money for his own mortgage how is going to pay deposit now - we are thinking about moving out, I need some advice on this one as I don't want to be left waiting for money that will never arrive.
    On top of that the agency is keep saying that we have to handle the keys and wait for check to arrive in post sometime in nearest future:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The landlord owns multiple homes and now want's extra time and sympathy?

Fecking amateur landlords like this give all landlords a bad name.
    Your deposit should never have been touched, it should be there in a bank account availble for when you move out

Do not have over keys on moving out date and wait for a cheque.
    On moving out day, sit there with your friends and tell the landlord or agent to call over if they expect to get the keys back.

Any issues like damage are sorted there and then, man to man.
    No messing, no letters going back and forth, no PRTB hearing, all done on the spot.

Actually, I'd nearly be worried any cheque you get is going to bounce :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭cfcj

andy22 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a massive problem regarding house I'm renting with 2of my friends.
    We have just recently met with our landlord regarding some work carried out in the garden and he told us that he had been made redundant and actually our rent payments secure his own mortgage. I wouldn't have any problem with that but when we were trying to move out last year, he said that he would need some time to pay us our deposit, so presuming that he has no job and money for his own mortgage how is going to pay deposit now - we are thinking about moving out, I need some advice on this one as I don't want to be left waiting for money that will never arrive.
    On top of that the agency is keep saying that we have to handle the keys and wait for check to arrive in post sometime in nearest future:eek:

Mikemac is right not to wait for the cheque. If you are unsure about your rights as a tenant get onto the Citizens Information office or their website. As unfortunate as it is about his job, its not a valid reason for not giving or having your deposit available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 andy22

It looks like it's gonna be harsh, and ladies from agency treat us like some kind of morons (ups)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I would say it is very rare for a landlord to return the deposit on move out day. 2 weeks is about standard as far as I know. The landlord has to inspect the property fully, in case there are any hidden damages and also needs to make sure there are no outstanding bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 andy22

I know it takes time, last time we waited 1 week but it was 2 years ago and nearly everyone was working, my biggest concern regards him spending our deposit money and problems with giving it back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement