Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours over grown garden issue!

Options
  • 09-07-2009 9:03pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, hope some one might be able to help/advise me!

I am living in a semi d home and my attached neighbour has not lived in his house for about 12 years. now the issue I have is with his garden. it is seriously over grown and he is not contactable because he has not lived in the house so I do my best to go in a tackle the weeds and bush every few months.

Right now, I am fed up of it and have a recruited a few people to help me tackle it again in 2 weeks time but what I need to know is if there is something I can spread on the garden to kill of the weeds but not do damage as this is not my property. I am basically doing this to manage the upkeep of the estate.

We contacted the council but they are unable to intervene as it is private property and they only have rights to the public green spaces in the estate.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

if it was my own garden, i'd spray roundup (biofriendly weedkiller) to kill everything, dig/rotavate it once everything has died, and plant a load of grass seed. It's not that big a job in the big scheme of things.

This might be taking liberties though if its his garden, but i might chance it if the neighbours agreed that he wouldnt mind.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

silverside wrote: »
    if it was my own garden, i'd spray roundup (biofriendly weedkiller) to kill everything, dig/rotavate it once everything has died, and plant a load of grass seed. It's not that big a job in the big scheme of things.

This might be taking liberties though if its his garden, but i might chance it if the neighbours agreed that he wouldnt mind.

thanx a mill for that! the problem is though, that the neighbour has not been seen in 12 years. he ex wife lives nearby but all she knows is that he is living the uk so we dont know where else to go from here without tackeling it ourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

silverside wrote: »
    (biofriendly weedkiller)

Thats a contradiction in terms.
    I would be very slow to start doing anything to a neighbours garden, it is not yours and although it would be a neighbourly thing to do, you would be on shakey legal ground if he came back and the place was blasted with weedkiller.
    The only legal thing you can do is to cut back whatever grows over your side of the fence and throw it back onto his side.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats a contradiction in terms.
    I would be very slow to start doing anything to a neighbours garden, it is not yours and although it would be a neighbourly thing to do, you would be on shakey legal ground if he came back and the place was blasted with weedkiller.
    The only legal thing you can do is to cut back whatever grows over your side of the fence and throw it back onto his side.
    I know what you mean. thanks for that! the only problem is if you can picture this, the back garden comes right down the side of his house and pours out to the front of his house. its just so ugly :(

Advertisement