Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Surveillance Society: 1984 Came 25 Years Late

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Sour times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

They want to know everything about you , most people are mind controlled by the orwellian media , they tell you what you are supposed to think , how we are supposed to act , what we are supposed to eat , what we are supposed to do , they tell us lies all the time ,they use very sophisticated mind control techniques , i first noticed it being introduced into the media here in ireland in the late nineties .

Any else notice our media changing in the nineties ?

And how do they do it , they want you to believe something , they make it look like that is what everone else thinks , that the information they are giving you is what everyone believes , therefore you are more likely to believe it .

They are trying to sell you something , they portray a customer using the product and make that person look very successful and happy , so if you want to feel successful and happy , you go out and buy the product , even though it is probably rubbish what they are selling you , that is a mind control technique they use on you , you see people don't want to be losers , they want to be successful , so they show you what appears to be a successful person in advertising a product or service , now for the person watching that , they try to be the character shown in the advertisment and cease to be themselves , now to be the character in the advertisment they have to have the product or service , so they unconsciously go out and get it and pay for it , its actually hypnotic in nature ,the techniques they use .

They can make you think anything they want , if you don't know how their mind control technology works .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

espinolman wrote: »
    They want to know everything about you , most people are mind controlled by the orwellian media , they tell you what you are supposed to think , how we are supposed to act , what we are supposed to eat , what we are supposed to do , they tell us lies all the time ,they use very sophisticated mind control techniques

you my good man, drastically overestimate the intelligence of the media at large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

They are trying to sell you something , they portray a customer using the product and make that person look very successful and happy , so if you want to feel successful and happy , you go out and buy the product , even though it is probably rubbish what they are selling you , that is a mind control technique they use on you , you see people don't want to be losers , they want to be successful , so they show you what appears to be a successful person in advertising a product or service , now for the person watching that , they try to be the character shown in the advertisment and cease to be themselves , now to be the character in the advertisment they have to have the product or service , so they unconsciously go out and get it and pay for it , its actually hypnotic in nature ,the techniques they use .

and thats really really really not sophisticated mind control lol

its first year advertising stuff, and always has been

Helix wrote: »

I have never studied advertising , i have studied mind control , and my post was descriptive of what i know from studying mind control techniques.

So it follows that they must be using mind control in advertising !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I work in advertising. Mind control is a very over the top was to discribe it but its not completely off the ball.

Helix wrote: »

Its propaganda. Propaganda is mind control. Take advertisements for children, what they're trying to do is to mould the minds of future generations to be consumers and by proxy obedient employees, not citizens, or free thinkers. Did you know Goebbels emulated the techniques used by American advertisers for Nazi public relations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Any else notice our media changing in the nineties ?
    Yup.

Noticed it changing in the eighties and seventies too.

Have noticed it this decade (the noghties?) and expect to continue noticing it in decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Its propaganda. Propaganda is mind control. Take advertisements for children, what they're trying to do is to mould the minds of future generations to be consumers and by proxy obedient employees, not citizens, or free thinkers. Did you know Goebbels emulated the techniques used by American advertisers for Nazi public relations?

Are they not just trying to sell a product? Why would Lego want to mould the minds of children to become mindless employees? What would be in it for them? Advertisements may or may not have a detrimental effect on childrens minds but they are clearly not trying to implant a consistant message. While watching spongebob i've noticed quite a few ads have children getting one over authority figures so the NWO would be kind of shooting themselves in the foot there.

Did you know Goebbels emulated the techniques used by American advertisers for Nazi public relations?

They took the berlin wall down , and germany went back to the way it was , and now we have this lisbon treaty , we are going to become part of it , this really is 1984 .

• Advertisement

They took the berlin wall down ... this really is 1984 .

Its almost as though you're suggesting that a world where we built walls around ideologies would be a better place...

Are they not just trying to sell a product? Why would Lego want to mould the minds of children to become mindless employees? What would be in it for them? Advertisements may or may not have a detrimental effect on childrens minds but they are clearly not trying to implant a consistant message. While watching spongebob i've noticed quite a few ads have children getting one over authority figures so the NWO would be kind of shooting themselves in the foot there.

What happens is that those kids grow up with manufactured wants and place an inordinate amount of value on the consumption of things, and in order to secure those wants they sell themselves as labour commodities on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

They took the berlin wall down , and germany went back to the way it was ,

Actually if you're looking for an example of a Orwellian society, you really couldn't find a more perfect example than the old east Germany.
    Marianne Birthler, who manages the miles of intelligence files communist East Germany kept on its own citizens and many Westerners, told reporters that interest in the archives' records had anything but abated two decades on.

"More than 100,000 applications to look at files were submitted in 2007, somewhat fewer last year with 87,000, but demand rose again in the first months of 2009" at a rate of about 10,000 per month, she said.

"It could be related to the (20th) anniversary year. At the same time, we have observed time and again that many people are only asking to see their files now because they have apparently needed time to prepare themselves to confront their pasts."

The East Berlin-based Ministry of State Security, known as the Stasi, was one of the world's most effective instruments for state repression during its nearly 40 years of existence. It employed more than 270,000 people during the Cold War, making the East German population the most intensely monitored in the Eastern bloc.

Thousands of spies were unmasked after the Wall fell on November 9, 1989 when the Stasi files became available to the public in the years following national unification in 1990.

More than 1.6 million requests for access have been made since the archives were officially opened in 1991. It was then that many East Germans learned that their friends, colleagues and even family members had been keeping tabs on them as "unofficial collaborators" of the Stasi.

The Stasi records are still believed to hold bombshells, such as the revelation last week that the policeman who shot student demonstrator Benno Ohnesorg dead in West Berlin in 1967 worked for the Stasi.

The killing radicalised a large faction of the left-wing student movement at the time, and marked a historical turning point for many of that generation. Birthler said there is no evidence, however, the shooting was ordered by East Germany.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭polishpaddy

I dont watch more than an hour a week. If something like boxing or soccer was on, i'd watch that, otherwise i hate tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

What happens is that those kids grow up with manufactured wants and place an inordinate amount of value on the consumption of things, and in order to secure those wants they sell themselves as labour commodities on the market.

And how will that help Lego?

bonkey wrote: »
    Its almost as though you're suggesting that a world where we built walls around ideologies would be a better place...

No i am not suggesting that at all , i am suggesting that germany went back to the way it was before the war , and the lisbon treaty will give germany greater voting rights , so i am concerned that i may be persecuted by germany for being a roman catholic .

i am suggesting that germany went back to the way it was before the war
    Unless this is adding to your concerns, I don't see how its relevant.

If it is adding to your concerns, then what you're implying is that a divided Germany - a world where walls were built around ideologies - would be of less concern then a reunited Germany.
    and the lisbon treaty will give germany greater voting rights , so i am concerned that i may be persecuted by germany for being a roman catholic
    Why would Germany persecute Roman Catholics? Roughly 65% of Germany is Christian. Of that, almost exactly half are Roman Catholic. By the 2007 figures, that was 31% of the country.

Why do you think that Germany, empowered by the Lisbon Treaty or not, are going to start persecuting 31% of Germans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

No i am not suggesting that at all , i am suggesting that germany went back to the way it was before the war , and the lisbon treaty will give germany greater voting rights , so i am concerned that i may be persecuted by germany for being a roman catholic .

:confused:

Angela Merkel is the leader of the Christian Democratic Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It certainly did with this new proposed surveillance Law. This is nothing new and is only bringing Ireland in line with the rest of Europe under already existing invasive EU legislation.

Although the authorities cannot get access to the content of mobile calls and text messages (Unless with serious crime cases) they will have records of the exact coordinates of where each call and text message is made for two years. Gardai, revenue and the military will have access to such.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0713/1224250545267.html?digest=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think this is a great idea. I've always supported the idea of giving the authorities access to the communication logs of Telefon companies and ISPs.

I don't see how it really affects the normal person if they are not doing anything illegal.

My only worry is for the security of this information.

• Advertisement

I think this is a great idea. I've always supported the idea of giving the authorities access to the communication logs of Telefon companies and ISPs.

I don't see how it really affects the normal person if they are not doing anything illegal.

My only worry is for the security of this information.
    Great until some unencrypted laptop or pen drive goes missing and end up in the wrong hands which no doubt will inevitably happen.

I also don't like the idea of this data being shared with the rest of the EU and US authorities. Next thing you will be hauled in by UK or US officials on why you were present at a particular location at a given time.

This technology can also be very useful to keep tabs on individuals that are present at various protest camps such as at Rossport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

they will have records of the exact coordinates of where each call and text message is made for two years. Gardai, revenue and the military will have access to such.

That's not entirely true, determining the location of a mobile phone is highly dependent on a number of different factors and the method you're using to do it.

A GPS enabled handset being the most accurate of these although in 2008 sales of GPS handsets were still relatively low. After that you're left with cell identification (least accurate) and then cell triangulation which is more accurate but this varies depending on how many cells are available in a given area...obviously in an urban area it becomes more accurate but in rural areas it can be very hit and miss.

Exact coordinates is a bit of an exageration.

rmacm wrote: »
    That's not entirely true, determining the location of a mobile phone is highly dependent on a number of different factors and the method you're using to do it.

A GPS enabled handset being the most accurate of these although in 2008 sales of GPS handsets were still relatively low. After that you're left with cell identification (least accurate) and then cell triangulation which is more accurate but this varies depending on how many cells are available in a given area...obviously in an urban area it becomes more accurate but in rural areas it can be very hit and miss.

Exact coordinates is a bit of an exageration.
    Enough to give the authorities a general idea where someone is hanging out, ie unlawful gathering, protest marches or their general movements.

Wasn't cell site analyis use in the Joe O Reilly case?
    http://www.mobilephoneforensics.com/cell-site-analysis.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Enough to give the authorities a general idea where someone is hanging out, ie unlawful gathering, protest marches or their general movements.

Wasn't cell site analyis use in the Joe O Reilly case?
    http://www.mobilephoneforensics.com/cell-site-analysis.php

Far from exact coordinates though which is what you originally stated.

Yes it was used to prove he was in an area which he said he wasn't in if I remember correctly. You can use cell site analysis to get a general idea of the area, it depends how the cell is configured e.g. divided into sectors and if there are other cells with overlapping coverage to enable triangulation.

Again far from GPS levels of accuracy.

Advertisement