Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move ESB Meter

Options
  • 09-07-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

There is an ESB meter and fuse board on a back kitchen wall over a door which the owner wants to move to another wall in kitchen. Its a small 2 bed house which she intends to rewire.

1 I heard ESB charge 190 euro to move there meter is that correct?
    2 Do the ESB join the main ESB cable at the old meter position so that it can be extended to new position or do they run a new cable from outside to the new meter position?
    3 Is it ok to put the new meter and fuse box in a high cupboard in kitchen where it is out of view?

Thanks for any replies in advance and sorry for all the questions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

JOHNPT wrote: »
    There is an ESB meter and fuse board on a back kitchen wall over a door which the owner wants to move to another wall in kitchen. Its a small 2 bed house which she intends to rewire.

2 Do the ESB join the main ESB cable at the old meter position so that it can be extended to new position or do they run a new cable from outside to the new meter position?
    3 Is it ok to put the new meter and fuse box in a high cupboard in kitchen where it is out of view?

Thanks for any replies in advance and sorry for all the questions

Yes the esb charge for coming out , the rates are on www.esb.ie
    The new meter will have to be located in a cabinet , outside within 2 meters of the front wall of the house. If you are going to move it , new ducting , fishwire , meter cabinet etc are your responsibility . A cert has to be issued by the electrical contractor for the new wiring tails , earthing , bonding etc

The new meter will have to be put outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for your reply.

So just to confirm under no circumstances will they allow the meter to be moved and it to remain inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

a relocation would normally be to outside for domestic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

Thanks for your reply.

So just to confirm under no circumstances will they allow the meter to be moved and it to remain inside?

it all depends on the house and where the power is coming in and if the power coming from a pole or the next house.best thing you could do is ring the ESB and tell them what you want to do and they will tell if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

davelerave wrote: »
    a relocation would normally be to outside for domestic.

yea on a new build ,but you know yourself that many houses have rewired and the meter never moved outside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

yea on a new build ,but you know yourself that many houses have rewired and the meter never moved outside
    a meter relocation indoors(his question) and a rewire into an existing indoor meter are two separate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think in most cases they wouldn't charge anything when moving a meter to a outside cabinet after being indoors.

This all depends how the house is fed. Is it a UG service or fed from an aerial from the pole? Its mostly likely the second, and in most cases the cable its longer than need as it needs to go inside, so its rerouted into the new outside cabinet and then no need to be jointed. If this is your scenario, i would highly recommend moving it outside, its worth it in the long run.

If the service can not be do this way, and you need to install a ug service, that would probably have a charge. You would need to install the box, and ducting from it outside to the butt of the pole. Once the cert is sent in, a new service cable would be pulled in, made off in the new cabinet box and then at the top of the pole.

The cabinet would be fine, but they will want it move to a more reasonable position. Depending on who you are dealing with some might be more accommodating than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had my meter moved 4 years ago. I had it moved about 4 metres. It's still inside. I had this done during a rewire. I wanted the meter moved in anticipation of a future extension. The ESB came and moved and replaced the meter. I know it was 4 years ago but they never mentioned any requirement to have it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

each house is different

the rule on 2 metres from the front of the house is only on new builds

we came up with this about 2 years ago.

the box was in the house, we wanted it outside.
    esb disconnected the old metre, and heatsealed the live wires until we had moved it.
    we made a hole for the box.
    brought the cable through to the box > had some heavy hydrodare over it.

the esb guy came out. said ok and re connected.

we did get charged, however as we had all the cable neatly done and exactly as they advised it wasnt 190! this was 140 - 50 off better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Davy wrote: »

The cabinet would be fine, but they will want it move to a more reasonable position. Depending on who you are dealing with some might be more accommodating than others.

Can someone confirm that having a fuse box inside the kitchen is not against the regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Davy wrote: »
    I think in most cases they wouldn't charge anything when moving a meter to a outside cabinet after being indoors.

I had a client who wanted the meter moved outside during a rewire, the ESB asked for €400 for the privilege, the meter stayed where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

icbarros wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that having a fuse box inside the kitchen is not against the regulations?

There is no problem with the fuse board in the Kitchen, however it must be located in an readily accessible location. The top of the fuse board must be no higher than 2.25m, Bottom no lower than 1.4m.
    It can not be installed in the following locations:
    Storage or airing cupboards
    Under Timber Stairs
    Where it may be covered
    In a bathroom, washroom or WC

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Thanks PrismES.
    Do you know how far can a waste or water pipe be from a fuse box?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freckles1234

Im just wondering how long it would take to reloccate a meter from the inside to the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Im just wondering how long it would take to reloccate a meter from the inside to the outside?

perhaps a new thread for this would be better
    any more info please
    has your electrician started
    is the new meter box installed
    are the new tails in
    is the completion cert submitted
    have you paid the esb to relocate service
    is ducting in place(if underground)
    have you found the existing esb supply underground(so esbn can re-route service)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freckles1234

meercat wrote: »
    perhaps a new thread for this would be better
    any more info please
    has your electrician started
    is the new meter box installed
    are the new tails in
    is the completion cert submitted
    have you paid the esb to relocate service
    is ducting in place(if underground)
    have you found the existing esb supply underground(so esbn can re-route service)
    Ihave nothing done about moving it yet. Just wondering who the first person i contact first. Would it be the esb?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Advertisement