Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish people/other certain Europeans any happier with their politics than Brits?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I have a profound distrust and disillusionment with my government. Enough to consider moving to other European countries.
    Scandinavia and Ireland, and maybe France would be options.
    Anyone know much about the politics of their countries?
    I believe Swedes are the most astisfied with their government on earth.
    And very happy reputedly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

We are indeed blessed with a fine government. Or so Fianna Fail insist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Sand wrote: »
    We are indeed blessed with a fine government. Or so Fianna Fail insist...

Well in all seriousness, I just mean liberties, independence from other countries, privacy, dignity etc, crime, manners etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think there is more accountability of independence of most of the media in the UK for the British people to be satisifed that there is accountability there and action taken to ensure it.

For example, the recent MP's expenses exposed MP's where some have resigned and some who will not resign wil end up not being re-elected.

If that was here, the constituency will re-elect the TD based on a anti-Dublin stance(Lowry), local issues(Helay-Rae) etc.

Here, its based on parish politics, not the national issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Affable wrote: »
    Well in all seriousness, I just mean liberties, independence from other countries, privacy, dignity etc, crime, manners etc.
    Well I suppose we probley have what your looking for. Crime is pretty terrible at the moment, not life threatning or anything but gangland murders etc. Independence from other countries? Well we're not part of NATO or other military alliances and we're said to be a neutral country so we have that too.
    Privacy, yeh far as I know, *notes suspicious black car outside :D. And most people know how to conduct themselves well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

gurramok wrote: »
    I think there is more accountability of independence of most of the media in the UK for the British people to be satisifed that there is accountability there and action taken to ensure it.

For example, the recent MP's expenses exposed MP's where some have resigned and some who will not resign wil end up not being re-elected.

If that was here, the constituency will re-elect the TD based on a anti-Dublin stance(Lowry), local issues(Helay-Rae) etc.

Here, its based on parish politics, not the national issues.

irish people like thier politicians a little bit dirty and we have a sneaking regard for chancers in all walks of life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

wem british, irish , american (not right now) other countries ...........

erm are any off us ever happy with our governments ??

ive always believed that something like the american systems (which is nuts i think) idea that nobody can sit in power for more than 8 years is a very good idea . governments get lazy and detached from the people

a refresh every decade even i think would make for better governing ........and no im not saying that we should give different parties power every 8 years im saying that if uve sat on a ministers seat for 8 years then ur out and someone else new from your party backbenchers etc . move up and you cant run in the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This thread needs some more facts. More than none.

Also a few extra nouns, verbs and maybe some adjectives. But definitely more facts (or even opinion but facts would be cool). Let's have some useful ones and a reasonable discussion from that by 21:18 today (24 hours after the thread start) and it might stay open. If not, then blame whoever didn't inject any.

And as with every other thread, that's no guarantee it'll stay open till any particular time, including 21:18. Good discursive threads live longer, bad ones get sent to the fiery pits of hell.

Please post some really cool, smart and interesting discussion. Otherwise, what's the point.

I suppose what pisses me off is that conservatism socially is tied up with the right economically here, Holland it's not. Also, the private school and low social mobility thing gets to me, the idea you should know your place and petty class judgment is all pervasive. Private school buys you more advantage right now than it ever did and thw orking classes are more ignorant than before. Think that may be very different in France, Ireland and the US tbh. Scandinavia is probably great for civilisation manners etc and happiness, if a little dull in both sense of the word.

any light on it? France does kind of fascinate me, egalitarian and stae schools are championed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think the big difference between the UK and Ireland is that in the UK (rightly or wrongly) there is a belief that MPs are honest, hard working and ethical, so when there is a scandal such as the expenses claims people demand blood.

In Ireland there is an acceptance that the TDs are anything but ethical so people accept more ****.

The general level of contentment with MPs in the UK varies from high ti very low, depending on the latest scandal, in Ireland there is always a general level of discontentment, but because it is accepted they tend to hold onto their jobs.

I think the big difference between the UK and Ireland is that in the UK (rightly or wrongly) there is a belief that MPs are honest, hard working and ethical

Wtf?!! You must have been watching different coverage to me over the years. People have never thought that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Affable wrote: »
    Wtf?!! You must have been watching different coverage to me over the years. People have never thought that.

actually, i phrased that wrong, there is a belief that MPs should be honest etc, not that they are.

Advertisement