Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New garden -- Kill weeds and plant grass???

Options
  • 09-07-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello I am new to boards.ie so you will have to excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place…

My problem is as follows: I have recently moved into a new house on half an acre. The garden has never had grass on it and there are weeds throughout the garden….

Now how do I kill all the weeds without damaging the land for grass.

Thanks in advance all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

RoundUp. there are a few threads on this - including one where I asked pretty much the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 theirish

Your reply was as useful as tits on a bull!! in fact i have had a quick look at your posts and they are manly crap.. I might be new to boards.ie but i am not new to boards. You are clocking up your posts over 800 with usless posts. You are wasting peoples time. Didnt anyone ever tell you that if you have nothing worthwhile saying then dont say anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards,

The Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

theirish wrote: »
    Your reply was as useful as tits on a bull!! in fact i have had a quick look at your posts and they are manly crap.. I might be new to boards.ie but i am not new to boards. You are clocking up your posts over 800 with usless posts. You are wasting peoples time. Didnt anyone ever tell you that if you have nothing worthwhile saying then dont say anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards,

The Irish

OUCH :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

The Irish,

Round Up is a systemic weedkiller - when sprayed onto the foliage it works its way down and kills roots as well as above-ground growth. It will kill annual and perennial weeds but may take a few weeks for you to see the results.

It would be a good idea to spray and wait to see the results. You may need to spray again as some weeds may take a second spray to kill them.

After that, you could dig the garden or rotivate it and sow your grass seed. Depending on the weather, it might be better to leave the seed sowing until autumn when you are more likely to have regular rain - the seed won't germinate without regular moisture.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

theirish banned for trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

thanks MAJD

Just to everyone else, posts like the above from theirish are not tolerated. It's just plain trollish and unnecessary in my book. I'm all for giving a bit of leway to people, but there is a line.

As Mod's we can't be everywhere all the time, so if you see something like this, report it and it can sorted out sharpish. Without people reporting posts, sometimes things will slip through.

Cheers

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Seems TheIrish has been 'roundup?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 theirish

:o Roundup is a weed killer o, my bad!! That was a bit booboo on my part I must admit. Thanks for your posts I have just sprayed roundup on my garden and await the killing of all them old weeds…

All the best now

Theirish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

glad you found a solution.

your welcome to post here too, don't feel because you got a slapdown for a previous mistake that it's going to be held against you in future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

glad you found a solution.

your welcome to post here too, don't feel because you got a slapdown for a previous mistake that it's going to be held against you in future. :)

Hey guys, Im in the same boat. I was sold Rosate by the local hardware and told its just as good. I got the garden sprayed and about 7 or 8 hours later it rained. Just wondering if Ill have to re do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Not familiar with Rosate, but hopefully its similar to Roundup, ie systemic and kills root also and should be fine if weather remains dry for at least 3-4 hours after spraying. Need to wait up to 7-10 days before removing dead weed as earlier attempts may leave some residual root and depending on weed type this may regenerate.

Advertisement