Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] 25 years of DART! Join in the celebrations!

• 09-07-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp?action=view&news_id=388
    25 years of DART! Join in the celebrations! by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann has announced a series of events to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the DART service.

On 23rd July 1984, the DART service began operating, and since that date, it has become one of the country’s greatest public transport success stories. It is an icon of Dublin, and has played a crucial role in the life of Dubliners over the 25 years, with almost half a billion passenger journeys made.

Because DART is such a significant part of the daily lives of so many people, Iarnród Éireann is marking 25 years of DART in ways that involve our commuters and will speak of the unique place DART has in Dublin’s landscape. Fun, music, poetry, dining and celebration will all feature throughout the summer months.

A unique advertising campaign to mark 25 years, featuring the work of renowned artists Graham Knuttel and Rasher, has just been launched across billboards around the city.

A series of special concerts entitled The Platform will be held at Pearse Station on Fridays throughout the summer, to allow commuters to share in the celebrations. These begin this Friday 10th July at 17.00hrs, with Captain Magic Wonderland.

Commuters also have the opportunity every day to win free travel on the DART for a month, with the Evening Herald, in Railing in the Years, which tests your knowledge of news and events across the 25 years of DART. A draw will take place amongst daily winners for free travel for a year!

The actual day of the 25th anniversary, Thursday 23rd July, will be one of celebration and goodies galore for commuters, and a unique event entitled DART 25 Live, with prominent contemporary Irish music acts and comedians will be held on board a special DART train in the evening. Acts performing will be Jerry Fish and the Mudbug Club, David Kitt, The Chapters, and comedian Eric Lalor. Tickets for this unique event will be available as part of a joint promotion with radio station Dublin’s 98. http://www.dublins98.ie/competitions/dart_25_live.php

DART will also team up with the Restaurants Association of Ireland in August to host Dining by DART in city centre stations, allowing commuters sample the signature dishes of some of Dublin’s best loved restaurants at their stations.

The popular Poet’s Corner feature, which has entertained DART customers for 22 years, is now giving budding poets amongst commuters the opportunity to be featured in Poet’s Corner, alongside Nobel Laureates and other renowned writers. Details are available here. http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp?action=view&news_id=349

If you haven't seen it, here's a chance http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1051426 to watch RTÉ's special edition of Capital D, from 2nd July, marking the 25th anniversary of DART.

With 25 years under its belt, DART is set to embark on a new phase of expansion over the coming years. Under Transport 21, DART is set to be extended to the Northern line, Maynooth and Hazelhatch between now and 2015. Also in 2015, DART Underground, a 7.5 kilometre line running underground from Docklands to Inchicore, serving underground stations at Docklands, Pearse, St Stephen’s Green, Christchurch and Heuston, will open. This will allow the number of trains on all lines to increase dramatically, as well as connecting all rail modes together – DART, Commuter, Intercity, Luas and Metro - into an integrated network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It would be a nice gesture for IR and the traction society and have a display of some of the locos and rolling stock that were used prior to the Dart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

It would be a nice gesture for IR and the traction society and have a display of some of the locos and rolling stock that were used prior to the Dart.

They are doing something of the sorts; steam excursions on Bank Holiday Sunday August 2nd.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/downloads/events/2009DAOCBookingForm.pdf

Hamndegger wrote: »
    They are doing something of the sorts; steam excursions on Bank Holiday Sunday August 2nd.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/downloads/events/2009DAOCBookingForm.pdf
    Nice one, I was woken up by one last Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

To celebrate 25 years of the DART wouldn't it be nice if instead of playing choo choos IE finally got around to removing all the awful graffiti from the line - properly? The entire route from Greystones/Howth and Malahide has become a graffiti artists playground and the once pleasant trip along the line has been ruined by CIE/IEs failure to deal decisively with the problem.

To celebrate 25 years of the DART wouldn't it be nice if instead of playing choo choos IE finally got around to removing all the awful graffiti from the line - properly? The entire route from Greystones/Howth and Malahide has become a graffiti artists playground and the once pleasant trip along the line has been ruined by CIE/IEs failure to deal decisively with the problem.

Remove it and it will be back within a week. Every transit system in the world is not immune to this problem, also a lot of it is not on IR property such as the former Blackrock bath snd various other gable ends and walls along the route. A better idea would be to hold art competitions and come up with murals as they did in Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Will these celebrations be 90.53% on time:confused:

Remove it and it will be back within a week. Every transit system in the world is not immune to this problem, also a lot of it is not on IR property such as the former Blackrock bath snd various other gable ends and walls along the route. A better idea would be to hold art competitions and come up with murals as they did in Bray.

Zero tolerance is the only answer here not hand wringing! If someone put graffiti on your business, house or car would you just leave it there? I assure you the bulk of the graffiti along the DART lines IS on CIE property or, worse still, accessed by trespassing on the railway. Murals? Are you suggesting anarchists like ICN, Grift etc would give up defacing our Capital and the DART in particular if a mural competition was organised? Sadly, it is defeatist attitudes like yours that has the country in the state it's in whether it be be graffiti or more serious crime. :mad:

Zero tolerance is the only answer here not hand wringing! If someone put graffiti on your business, house or car would you just leave it there? I assure you the bulk of the graffiti along the DART lines IS on CIE property or, worse still, accessed by trespassing on the railway. Murals? Are you suggesting anarchists like ICN, Grift etc would give up defacing our Capital and the DART in particular if a mural competition was organised? Sadly, it is defeatist attitudes like your that has the country in the state it's in whether it be be graffiti or more serious crime. :mad:

You will NEVER stop it, in fact the more CIE do to remove it the more offenders will return again to rre tag it.

Why will you never stop it? Surveillance equipment has never been more sophisticated and properly applied with whatever level of private security is required and a couple of high profile court cases......Gormless Gormley was promising to do the divil and all about graffiti - when in opposition - now like most other Green policies it has been binned. Quite apart from the personal dislike that I have for graffiti, what sort of impression is the DART line giving to the hundreds of thousands of visitors to Ireland who use it every year? CIE won several awards for conservation/presentation etc when the DART started and these should be taken away until this issue is properly tackled. Compare the state of the DART lines today with the Luas!

The Luas will end up the same way as the DART if we are not vigilant! Zero tolerance involves you, me and others keeping the pressure on those in authority, getting on their backs and not putting up with defeatist, hand wringing attitudes. In connection with the Luas I have written on several occasions to the RPA, Veolia, Mortons (Beechwood Stop), the Hilton Hotel at Charlemont with a degree of success but I can't do everything myself - I also have a life! What is needed is people to get off their backsides and do something!!!! NOW!!! :mad:

www.irishrailways.blogspot.com

Sophisticated surveillance will do little or nothing to deter these offenders as they wear hoodies and baseball caps. They are in and out in no time before the authorities are called. These guys will cut through security fences and have marked the Dart in the past. I saw a documentary not too long ago about it, some are very professional and will travel from country to country.

IR can tidy up Graffiti for their 25th celebration but I can guarantee it will reappear as soon as festivities are over. They should leave a dozen or so abandoned mark 2's up a deserted siding and let these guys work away till their hearts content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

I am an oulfella, but I love graffiti! I am not talking about some halfwit scrawling "DECO" or "Man U" - but the real talents out there. Some gifited tagger has started doing super stuff around Sligo town of late. I really do not see what the problem is with graffiti once it is well done and defacing a train or some nice private property. Along old embankment/factory walls it's grand. I went to New York when I was 19 backin 1984 to experience the final year of the glorious ear in graffti. New York was never the same city after the No Tolerance ****e started. That's all right-wing social control rubbish which destroys real culture.

I am an old fella too and a pretty pissed off one at that! Is this the sort of art you approve of? See entry #27 for the DART.

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.graffiti.org/endstation/magazine/mag-select/mag27.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.graffiti.org/endstation/magazine/mag-select/mag.htm&usg=__smNC1q5BF3eQWBq6y2OZcVtZhQM=&h=100&w=210&sz=4&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=0Bz-3j3ZFPsG4M:&tbnh=50&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgraffiti%2Bon%2BdUBLIN%2BDART%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

The beautiful granite walls, hand cut by 'real' artists more than 150 years ago, that line the coastal route of the DART from Merrion Gates are destroyed by the imbecillic daubings of village idiots drawn from all over - UK included. The once beautiful Cloncurry Towers and bathing pavilion at Maretimo, Blackrock have been destroyed by the same fools, not to mention the bandstand in Blackrock Park, the Martello Tower at Williamstown, numerous private residences etc. etc. I really despair for the country! :mad::mad::mad:

www.irishrailways.blogspot.com

Sophisticated surveillance will do little or nothing to deter these offenders as they wear hoodies and baseball caps. They are in and out in no time before the authorities are called. These guys will cut through security fences and have marked the Dart in the past. I saw a documentary not too long ago about it, some are very professional and will travel from country to country.

IR can tidy up Graffiti for their 25th celebration but I can guarantee it will reappear as soon as festivities are over. They should leave a dozen or so abandoned mark 2's up a deserted siding and let these guys work away till their hearts content.

Well of course it will reappear and will continue to do so as long as it is allowed to remain. If, however, it is removed within 24 hours and serious efforts are made to bring the culprits to book things will change. I say again, if somebody daubed your house, business, car etc would you roll over and say no point it cleaning it off it will only re-appear. Don't bother answering!

Judgement Day who are you to decide what is real art and what isn't? Once the taggers do not destory private property, trains etc currently in service. I have no problem with what many of them do. I did tagging in New York and it was thrilling and a very empowering part of my life. I got to know other ARTISTS of many different ethnic groups and races. It expanded my personal and artistic horizons. Many of the fellow taggers went on to careers in design and the arts. Most of them would of been poorly educated working classing kids. The tagging gave them an artistic outlet aware from violence and drugs.

When they dug up the ruins of Pompeii they found the entire Roman city covered in graffiti. As a result more was learned about Roman society than all previous knowledge which had been recorded.

The victorian art you celebrate was nothing more than status symbols for the Anglo-Irish victorian elites.

They should leave a dozen or so abandoned mark 2's up a deserted siding and let these guys work away till their hearts content.

Always a good idea. In NYC a whole old industrial section of Long Island City is reserved for street art. These compromises do work.

2468886913_336011dcb0.jpg

How can anyone not consider this to be ART nor an improvement on what was just a drab old factory is beyond me. Rather look at this that some unsold half finished housing estate.

Always a good idea. In NYC a whole old industrial section of Long Island City is reserved for street art. These compromises do work.

How can anyone not consider this to be ART nor an improvement on what was just a drab old factory is beyond me. Rather look at this that some unsold half finished housing estate.

Very good Nostradamus but you are not comparing like with like! I am complaining about the defacement of attractive public and private property not some God awful apartment block. The buildings that I referred to along the DART are part of our architectural heritage - it doesn't matter that they were built during the time that Ireland was part of the United Kingdom - and they were built by Irish craftsmen. Are you really saying that anything built prior to 1922, so long as it isn't private property, is fair game for the graffiti 'artist'? In relation to graffiti that you say was found in Pompeii providing all sorts of interesting facts about Roman life, all our graffiti will tell future archaeolgists is that some Irish people were mindless hooligans and the authorities did nothing to protect our environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beggo

Just posted my DART poem today, I really hope they choose it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=526
    DART Poets' Corner Competition Winners Announced by Marketing Department

Congratulations to the winners of the DART Poets’ Corner Competition (in no particular order):

John O’Donnell, Dublin for his poem - The Blue Man

Cecilia McGovern, Dublin for her poem - It is Dangerous to lean out

Eamonn Bonner, Donegal for his poem - Climbing out of the window

These poems will be displayed on trains, in stations and will be published after the awards ceremony on irishrail.ie

Thank you all for entering.

Advertisement