Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unidentified texts

Options
  • 09-07-2009 10:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

That is, texts that come from a name, with no number attached. Just received one, apparently from the scum in Intrum Justicia. Two questions:
    1. How do people, other than operators, send them?
    2. How do you deal with it? I feel sure if I complain to ComReg I'll be fobbed off, not least because I have no identifying info to report. Will the operator (O2 in my case) be of any use?
    Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Report it to your operator. They will tell you to report it to the Gardai.
    Report it to the Gardai. They will take a report. They can then ask your operator to put a trace on the account.

Unless the messages are threatening / distressing or abusive in some way don't expect much done to be honest.

It's very easy for some companys with their own SMS gateway to pretend a text is coming from *any number*. Some companys like www.smsdiscount.com allow you to put your own name as the "from" number.

Advertisement