Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The speed at which Michael Jackson products were available

Options
  • 09-07-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else amazed at the speed that Michael Jackson DVDs and CDs became availabe ? New compilation CDs, some including his motown/childhood eras. DVDs previously released became available en masse ( Moonwalker, History, One, Live @ Budapest) and a few new ones. There's also a book I saw in a shop which I think references his death.

It's quite astounding that within about 4days of his death HMV had tonnes of stock on display .

Why do sales go up as soon as someone dies anyway ? It's not like the CD/DVDs are going to become rare and dissapear forever (it's the opposite which is obviously the case).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

agreed. The Time magazine commemorative issue was out 2 days laster and while I understand media outlets have all celebrity profile information ready to go in obituary form, this was a startling turnaround timewise. Kinda adds to the theory hes not actually dead and has faked his own death to get outta the legal hassles and generate income. He's sold sooomany records this week.

I don't believe the death fake thing by the way. He was the King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

If he's not dead then OK magazine wasted a small fortune on pictures of a dummy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There was probably a lot of stuff lined up to coincide with the London gigs, they just changed a few lines here and there and pressed print/distribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I love the way this month's Q seem to think he's still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Within a few hours of his death there were 6 confirmed special magazines in production.

CD'S etc: You can copy up to 250,000 cd's in one day in some plants and getting it distributed is fairly easy.

Crazy

• Advertisement

Within a few hours of his death there were 6 confirmed special magazines in production.

CD'S etc: You can copy up to 250,000 cd's in one day in some plants and getting it distributed is fairly easy.

Crazy

Cheers, interesting information.

There seems to be "new" versions of his albums out though ? Thriller has some fancy CD cover and there's one or two of these "motown/early years" compilations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The CDs and DVDs were probably printed and already shipped to allow for increased interest following the concerts that were scheduled to take place in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Cheers, interesting information.

There seems to be "new" versions of his albums out though ? Thriller has some fancy CD cover and there's one or two of these "motown/early years" compilations.
    Theres a new version of the Irish Times every day. How do they manage that?

There is plenty of interest and money to be made, so industry will be put to work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Those Thriller re-issues were around already, the only new release on the horizon is a stripped version of some J5 songs.
    Xmas 09, that will be a different matter.
    For all those fans out there have a look on ebay for a 32DVD collection going around at the minute "The ultimate collection"

!BVuStNg!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmVoWOBKT-i)Z8Pg~~_12.JPG

Hah. Looks like a dodgy bootleg out of China. Ironicaly the ad says item location is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

slightly off topic but i remember a couple of weeks before johnny cash died i went into zavi or virgin to get a cash cd (my friend had played one of the american cd's for me and i wanted to check it out).
    The idiot working in the place told me that they won't be stocking any johnny cash and that it wouldn't sell as its not popular enough.....2 weeks later: they're blaring johnny cash out of the store and you could get whatever album you wanted.
    Its something thats inevitable but really bugs me:mad:

The idiot in the shop isn't the person who decides what gets sold.

Advertisement