Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex anyone?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

There i said it...

Did you cast a glance to your stack of old PC games to see if it was there?

Did you momentarily reminisce about stunning a bad guy on the final level on 1% health?

Reminded by this thread of a few gamers going back to play it together I thought i'd raise it here. I've just installed it and it made my way through the training onto the first level.

Brilliant game. Who needs Crysis and PhysX cards - this one will play great on your netbook!

deus_ex_front.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

How well does it play on netbooks? I found HL1 sketchy enough on my EEE 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    How well does it play on netbooks? I found HL1 sketchy enough on my EEE 1000.

I ran it on my Samsung NC10 and it was fine. Can't remember what resolution it was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Used to love this game. My friend and I both bought it at the same time some years ago and we were hooked.

Anyone remember this?
    Username: MCOLLINS
    Password: REVOLUTION

Attention to detail! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i actually only played it for the first time about a year or 2 ago...really enjoyed it. my one complaint would be the combat, i remember finding it really frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Excellent game, only fault was that the a.i was not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah amazing game,must root it out and give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Meh; I think I might have played it once - thought it was "ok"...

I was wondering when you would show up.

JCDenton obviously wasn't for you, JCDenton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

****er....

installing now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Must try it again. Loved the game although felt movement was a clunky/stilted and the weapons never really felt real but then... that wasn't really the point. THink I'll have to dig this up and reinstall for a bit of nostalgia.

• Advertisement

Yeah i thought the same when i went back to playing it. I was just so used to Halo, COD and FPSs that i felt it was a bit awkward (the key mapping to sniper zoom is left bracket ffs!) but its not an FPS. That's the difference. Its more of a Sneak Em Up that a Shoot Em Up.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

One of my fave games of all time.

Play it a good few years after it came out (2005 I think) and loved it.

Remember I got some light sword and sneak implants and just snuck up behind the bad guys and killed them ftom behind. Was awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i believe there are a few patches knocking around that bump up the texture detail and the like.

hasnt exactly aged the greatest last time I installed it. I know I have it around here somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Great game, I played it on both PC and PS2, finished the PS2 version as well.
    Not sure the combat is as good as people remember but the customisation of your character, the moral choices you get to make and the big surprises the plot has in store, a hell of a game.
    I also played a spot of Invisible War, not quite as good it has to be said.

A proper sequel is in the offing at the mo, Edge did a preview a little while ago, looks pretty special, more focus on bio modification and hidden weapons within "normal looking" flesh, yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

quarryman wrote: »
    I was wondering when you would show up.

JCDenton obviously wasn't for you, JCDenton.

Oh mercy, I'm afaid it's quite the opposite!

I've played the game too many time for my own good; and as you'd expect, there are more than one or two quotes burned into my brain:

"Bravery isn't function of firepower."

"You can't fight ideas with bullets."

"If There Were No God, It Would Be Necessary To Invent Him."

(I'd better check those to see if I'm as big a nerd as I think I am - I haven't played the game in 3 years...)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Great games. Just went on bought the double pack publisher by mastertronic, which fixes up both games to run properly on XP (The orginal worked fine already but IW was troublesome)

My all time favourite single player game. While it won't win any awards for a single gameplay mechanic on its own, the combined package is an amazing game. Great, story, atmosphere and music combined with an open ended gameplay, I still believe no game has surpassed yet.

The sequel unfortantly suffered from consolitis among other things (one of the lead developers at the time admitted as he was going through a divorce at the time his head simply wasn't with it) . The overall feeling is one of a game that was scaled back. Still a good game just has the unfortante distinction of the been the sequel to the first game.

JCDenton wrote: »
    Oh mercy, I'm afaid it's quite the opposite!

i was being sarcastic. hence my reference to your name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Great game! Played this at around the same time as System Shock 2!
    That was the greatest era in PC games in my my memory anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

JCDenton wrote:
    "You can't fight ideas with bullets."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Reinstalled and spent a sizeable bit of the weekend playing it. It has aged but I've been sucked right back into it.

What a game. I'm going the completely sneaky route. So far I haven't killed a single person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Did they ever finish the HD Texture pack?
    Might give it lash again...

HDTP, yep.

You should:

1. Install the game
    2. Install the 1.112 patch
    3. Run the game once
    4. Install the HDTP

Everything looks marginally better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Great game. Also, some of the worst voice acting ever.

Especially in the Hong Kong section, god that Aussie bint after she gets into the nightclub: 'FAAAAHHNNNKKKS FAH GETTIN ME IN!!!!!!' every time you come near her after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In her defence, she's also probably piss-drunk. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

you can buy the two Deus Ex games in Game for 15 euro. Both in one box together. Might invest.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Playing Fallout 3 right now and there's a lot of Deus Ex in there.

A lot of Bioshock too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

jayteecork wrote: »
    Playing Fallout 3 right now and there's a lot of Deus Ex in there.

A lot of Bioshock too.

If your going to steal steal from the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Niska

This threat brought back some memories - great game. The brother happened to be playing it over the weekend so I caved and picked up Deus Ex Complete this morning. Gues sthere goes the week. In a good way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Great game. Also, some of the worst voice acting ever.

Especially in the Hong Kong section, god that Aussie bint after she gets into the nightclub: 'FAAAAHHNNNKKKS FAH GETTIN ME IN!!!!!!' every time you come near her after that.

It's-a JCDenton, in da fresh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Went ape crazy when i bought this game on release. It was on the shelf and the packaging just sold me, had a look at the box and went, yup yup.

I'm holding it in my hand right now, jesus, do you remember when they used to ship pc games in HUGE BOXES!!!!!

I'm installing Arma 2 now so want to throw some time at that, but Deuz Ex will get a run in a couple of weeks, cause its a game i get engrossed in :)

Advertisement