Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Smear Follow Up

Options
  • 10-07-2009 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, I got an irregular smear in feb and am due to go back next month to get a follow up done, but i am 22, so had to pay €80, as i'm underage for the free scheme. . .however, does anyone know that, as i had irregularities, do i have to pay for my follow up? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 green dolphin

oh, thats awful!
    i think its shocking that women under 25 aren't offered this scheme. its hard enough to get women to get smear tests anyway. even the medical card won't cover smear tests for the under 25's, which has to be one of the most outrageous things i've ever heard - if a woman under 25 feels she might be at risk then her doctor should be able to perform this nesscessary test, and vulernable medical card patients shouldn't be discouraged by being charged a sum of money that amounts to almost half of a weekly dole payment (and this notion of the magic age of 25 being the time to start testing is probably based on a belief that every woman starts having sex at 18 and only has 2 or 3 different partners before shes 25)

are you in college? most colleges have a college doctor who is either free or much cheaper than regular GP's
    if not you could ring up citizens information - Lo Call 1890 777 121 - they're very helpful and they might know of a clinic in your area that could help. i know that there is free anonymous sti testing clinics in most cities, and i'm sure these must include a smear test along with everything else?

as far as i know most irregular smear tests turn out to be just fine, so i hope your follow up goes well. ring your doctor to check how much the follow up will cost, and ask for details of what the irregularities were - i know that sometimes they don't always get enough cells so it means they just have to redo the test again, if this is the case and you can't afford it you could try something like GUIDE clinic in St. James hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Rayven199

Hey,

Yeah its a bit of a raw deal for us under 25's when it comes to the smear tests! I have had two irregular smear results in 2 years. The first time I did have to pay for the follow up one and the second time - well I have yet to go back for it, it hasn't been the 6 months yet but I will have to pay for it also.
    Bit of a pain alright but my doc only charges 50 for an evening appointment, If I went to her during the day/weekend it would probably only be 30 so it doesnt kill me.

Advertisement