Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To people living in Ballybane

Options
  • 10-07-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about moving there. I found very nice place for reasonable price and it's really hard to refuse it. Just wanted to ask how is the safety like there? Many scumbags in the area? It's close to SuperValue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

don't live there anymore but used to.

I never had any major problems in the area but id have to say its not the best of areas in galway by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Why not? Did you witness any accidents? At the moment I live at Prospect Hill, looking for some quiet place in the east of the city. Found this nice apartment and just can't refuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ballybane would have a pretty bad reputation. I've never lived there so I've no personal experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I lived there for 4 years and had no problems tbh.

In certain areas youths do gather drinking at night alright, so maybe do your homework before committing to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I lived close to Castlepark near McGreals Shop for 3 years and never had any bother in fairness. You would see the odd caracter and a sometimes a bit of noise at night but nobody ever gave me any grief. If you keep a low profile and dont have anything of value sitting about you will be grand...! As said earlier do your homework first....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I lived there a while, also close to McGreals. Never a bother but a camera was stolen from the house through an open window.
    Had to turn down a few "you got a spare smoke mister?"

Dodgy for Galway but light years from to Dublin or Limerick. I could live there again.

Thanks guys. The flat is located close to SuperValue, just cross the road, 2 minutes deep in the neighbourhood. I've been there yesterday around 11PM and it was very quiet comparing to the city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

Magnus wrote: »

Dodgy for Galway but light years from to Dublin or Limerick. I could live there again.

For sure, I moved to the area from Dublin a few years ago. When I told people I live there, I always got a smile and a "Smart" comment about it being a rough area Blah Blah. I could never understand what the fuss was about. Yeah you do have some Characters knocking round from time to time but it ain't a patch on certain areas I lived in in Dublin. Amenties-wise its good and location is not too far from town, gym, shops, wellpark etc.

You do get some undesireables hanging around Supervalu, they seem to make it their life's work hassling the security guard for some reason.

Like anywhere really, you just ignore them and everyones happy.

Just a tip, if you do decide to take it, best Bus to town is from the Mervue Shops ( Not too far from where you'll be), on the half hour, runs as close to clockwork as you'll get in Galway ;)

Is there any chance to get to Brianhill from there by the bus?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think the Briarhill bus goes up Ballybrit and there's a bustop just around the corner.

It's only about 15mins on a bike actually from Ballybane.

You'll get a few scumbaggy kids and teenagers around there, but nothing dangerous really. None of your stabby stabby types anyway from what I know from living in Mervue most of my life (Never burgled once in 21 years). The scumbaggy kids can be great craic if you get on the right side of them, they love a bit of banter.

I used to live in Bohermore too and location aside I'd prefer to live in Ballybane, at least you only get the old salts out there, not the idiot drunks, irritating tourists you get in town.

• Advertisement

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Is there any chance to get to Brianhill from there by the bus?

There is, the number 9 I think - but you could be waiting on it as it starts its journey in Eyre square opposite O'Connells Pub. Its about a 20 Min walk to Briarhill from Ballybane, a bike may be a good option.

masonman wrote: »
    There is, the number 9 I think - but you could be waiting on it as it starts its journey in Eyre square opposite O'Connells Pub. Its about a 20 Min walk to Briarhill from Ballybane, a bike may be a good option.
    No. 9 uses Dublin Road, I'm closer to Monivea Rd, I saw some bus stop there, probably used by route 5E or 3.. Not quite sure about it.

Bike is really good option but when I look outside and see the weather like the one today I doubt that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I do a fair bit of work up there with the youth, and I don't think it's that bad, people are friendlier than most places if you make the effort. I'm looking to get out of Oranmore and will be looking around the area myself.

The area offers really good prices, MattKid. I'm gonna pay less than €500 for my double flat in surprisely good condition and brand new equipment inside.

I've seen similar apartments for that price in other parts of the town and they are far from perfection. One at Renmore had wet and smelly carpet, can't believe someone want to rent it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You might want to find out if the local pub, "The Lantern" is reopening. Its been closed for a few years now and theres a rumour, its going to be opened before the races. In its day it was a scangers paradise and if it opens, will inevitably increase noise and traffic through the area late at night.

No. 9 uses Dublin Road, I'm closer to Monivea Rd, I saw some bus stop there, probably used by route 5E or 3.. Not quite sure about it.

Bike is really good option but when I look outside and see the weather like the one today I doubt that option.

I got the number wrong. the 3 is right. I was only on the Bus last night night - usually just look at the location and say "That'll do" :o

Heres the timetables: Read them - then ignore them

http://www.buseireann.ie/bubble.php?id=59#galway

I hear you about the Bike, The joys of living outside the big smoke eh?

You might want to find out if the local pub, "The Lantern" is reopening.
    Where is this pub located? Is it somewhere in SuperValue/roundabout area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Grew up in Ballybane, and moved out just after all those new houses across from Supervalu went up..a lot can depend on which side of the road you are on, because Ard Aoibheann Drive/Heather Grove area is still Ballybane..The other side of the road, Rahylin Glebe, Clareview Park and those estates directly across for the lantern are grand, maybe a bit more of a rep for 'trouble' but really it's nowhere near as bad as the 'rep' it gets!

Great access to Supervalu, Xtravision, a takeway plus the added entertainment of the abusive banter between the young lads on bikes a the security guards in the shopping centre :)

No.3 serves the area as opposed to the Ballybane no5 bus...only in galway:)

Where is this pub located? Is it somewhere in SuperValue/roundabout area?

It's in the same complex as the 'valu but has been closed for a long time. A lot of the travellers went there and held their functions there because many other places wouldn't allow them in. Think it was/is owned by that Val Hanley politician but AFAIK it's closed a long while now and will remain like that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The Lantern is attached to Supervalue's complex on the roundabout end. If it is reopening word is it's a rough spot.

I'd have no problem living in Ballybane to be honest, I currently live in Ballybrit close to McGreals so I'm not far in any case. It has a bad reputation, sure most times when someone is caught doing something in Galway they're "of XX Road, Ballybane" but I've never had a bit of bother myself in the area and the kids are all quite friendly, saying "Howya" to myself and himself when we go for walks. I expect when we take the pup out that way they'll like to meet him too, and I've nothing bad to say about dog lovers as a rule.

You certainly can't beat it for value. The number 3 bus stops at the Supervalue on the way into town, but not on the way to Briarhill so you're a bit stuck there I'm afraid. A bike and a couple of paniers is a great solution, that way you can get to Lidl as well (it's what I do!).

• Advertisement

The other side of the road, Rahylin Glebe, Clareview Park and those estates directly across for the lantern are grand, maybe a bit more of a rep for 'trouble' but really it's nowhere near as bad as the 'rep' it gets!
    That's where I'm going to live. :eek:

Xiney, I think no. 3 stops beside Brianhill isn't it? I saw that bus stopping out there few weeks ago.

I know where you live...:)

What's the odds it's in my old home ahaha, ah great memories though, great location and convenient but as Xiney says, invest in a bike for reliability..

The no.3 bus stops at Monivea Road on it's way to Briarhill, so it's a very do-able option as it's only a five min walk from the stop to Rahylin Glebe, and of course the actual Ballybane one is in Rahylin Glebe so you're sorted methinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm not sure if the Lantern is still owned/operated by val hanley anymore and this rumour does the rounds from time to time, but it would be worth checking out. And in fairness to the travelling community, there were a lot of settled people causing trouble in there too. The place was just NASTY...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That rumour is resurrected every so often to scare the crap outta the locals. It was such a dodgy place at night and in the day it was full of local alcoholics and their kids. Don't know why but sometimes they used to bring groups from the John Paul Centre down there for a drink.

Val Hanley, proprietor of the dodgiest pubs in Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I know where you live...:)

What's the odds it's in my old home ahaha, ah great memories though, great location and convenient but as Xiney says, invest in a bike for reliability..

The no.3 bus stops at Monivea Road on it's way to Briarhill, so it's a very do-able option as it's only a five min walk from the stop to Rahylin Glebe, and of course the actual Ballybane one is in Rahylin Glebe so you're sorted methinks..

Yeah, it stops just around the eircom building on its way to briarhill. (Sorry, was confused as to which estate we were talking about, I think I know which one now)

But it's usually not on time at that stage in its journey. going into town it'd be ok, but you could probably walk it in less time than it would take waiting for the bloody thing on the way out (I'd wager)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Was reared in the area, parents still there. It's grand, yes there are dodgy characters and quite a few travellers especially in the estate across from The Lantern, can't think of the name of it. Anyway as someone said, most don't bother ya as long as you keep to yourself you'll be sound. Of course you could be unlucky, wrong place wrong time encounter with some gob****e but sure that can happen anywhere in the world.

Rahylin Glebe is grand, alot of the estate is now rented out. It's a gamble as to who your neighbours will be try and suss that out beforehand.

It's hard to believe that there can be anywhere more dodgy characters than in Prospekt Hill / Bohermore where I live now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Das Kitty wrote: »

In fairness, Murty Rabbittes is grand but ive never been in the Hanly Oaks over in Westside

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That rumour is resurrected every so often to scare the crap outta the locals. It was such a dodgy place at night and in the day it was full of local alcoholics and their kids. Don't know why but sometimes they used to bring groups from the John Paul Centre down there for a drink.

The reason the folk from the john paul centre used to head down was because they were always welcomed unlike other local places. not an eyelid was batted at the sometimes peculiar behaviour of the residents and it was great for them to go have a drink in their local without being stared at or encouraged to go sit in the back room.

Advertisement