Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To people living in Ballybane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

encouraged to go sit in the back room.

:eek:

well in that case, the Lantern was miles ahead of the rest of the pubs in Galway. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm living there at the moment, rent is dirt cheap. I'm originally from close to Tallaght though, so pretty much anything seems LESS dodgy than that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Trust me Xiney I could tell you horror stories and start a name and shame thread! but back on topic, I hope ballybane is good for you OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

It's honestly not that bad! I have quite a few friends well settled there. Just don't be seen as snobby or they'll not warm to you. Loads of old-school Galway families there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Val Hanley, proprietor of the dodgiest pubs in Galway City.
    Which Pub?

Ballybane is pretty big and is a mixture of private and council housing estates. A lot of people who purchased houses there in the 70 & 80s sold up about 9 years ago and moved out when there was good money for them. A lot of these houses were purchased by investors who rent them out to anybody. Some are rented via the HSE. Some are rented to settled travellers.

It is a very convient place to live. It has pubs, shops, schools, cycling distance to town. Most of the houses in Ballybane have gardens which is nice for some. There are plenty of green areas and cul de sacs so its a good spot for kids to play.

There are a small number of young little 5hits around the place especially around Xtravision/Supervalu and I can understand how some people may feel intemidated by them. None of that when Jim Brennan was the Community Guard.

I lived there when Rahylin Glebe was in the City and Clareview Park was in the County and after Clarview Park was nothing but fields and a place to go picking nuts.

I would not buy a house there because it doesn't have the neighbours it once had. The ones that looked after the place.

The Lantern was a good spot and I never heard of Travellers having a function there. It was to be taken over by the women running Grealishes but I heard that might be off the cards. It was owned by Dominic Lydon and I believe it is now owned by his son or wife. I'd have the Merlin over the Lantern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭redpanda26

I lived in Ballybane a couple of years ago when I was in College. I lived just beside the green across from supervalu. Rathlin glebe. We ended up living beside settled travellers which was a total nightmare. One of the girls we were in college with got her car broken into and she was only visiting our hse and my boyfriend was just living up the road and his house was broken into and everything of value, xbox, phones laptop etc was nicked. I wouldnt recommend the Rathlin glebe area but go a bit further to ballybrit or down towards merlin or renmore and there are some very nice houses in quiet areas that are reasonable in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Contents insurance is a must, so. And backing everything up to optical disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

redpanda26 wrote: »
    I lived in Ballybane a couple of years ago when I was in College. I lived just beside the green across from supervalu. Rathlin glebe. We ended up living beside settled travellers which was a total nightmare. One of the girls we were in college with got her car broken into and she was only visiting our hse and my boyfriend was just living up the road and his house was broken into and everything of value, xbox, phones laptop etc was nicked. I wouldnt recommend the Rathlin glebe area but go a bit further to ballybrit or down towards merlin or renmore and there are some very nice houses in quiet areas that are reasonable in rent.
    Did you find your stolen items after that? What was the result of investigation?

And how about the area, like Rockland Avenue or McHugh Avenue?

WooPeeA wrote: »
    And how about the area, like Rockland Avenue or McHugh Avenue?
    McHugh Avenue would be very quiete and a nice place to live. I believe it was one of the few places in that side of Mervue not to get lead pipes for water. It would be a very quite road as it leads to a cul de sac. It faces onto the GAA pitch. The houses are old and a bit small but they have big back gardens.

Rockland Ave is divided into two rows of houses. It wouldn't even compare to living in McHugh Ave. It is used a lot for people taking shortcuts on foot. One end of it has settled travellers who always have horses, trailers and scrap all over the place.

Both streets would be the same distance to shops, pubs, and bus stops.

• Advertisement

sgthighway wrote: »
    Rockland Ave is divided into two rows of houses. It wouldn't even compare to living in McHugh Ave. It is used a lot for people taking shortcuts on foot. One end of it has settled travellers who always have horses, trailers and scrap all over the place.
    Which part of Rockland is worst, the one closer to the roundabout or the one on the other side of the grass that divides them?

I've been walking there yesterday, I've seen the closer part of Rockland Ave, I haven't seen any trailers, so maybe you're talking about the other part of Rockland, the one that is deeper in the neighborhood..

The side nearer to roundabout but its not actual people living in Rockland Ave; its the people living in the houses just oppposite the entrance to it. Surely you have seen the vans and cars parked all over the place. The City Council filled in a lot of the fields with rubble to keep out the horses. A lot of the individuals who hang around outside Supervalu live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

I always thought rahylin glebe was okay by ballybane standards.The main trouble spots are castle park and the estates behind the church sliabh rua,fana glass etc it's not as bad as the glen or knocknaheeny but it's rough enough all the same although westside is just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭redpanda26

Did you find your stolen items after that? What was the result of investigation?

Nope the cops were called and everything but it didnt go any further than that. Id say most of the stuff was sold off. We think it was some of the local scumbag kids that you see around but sure we'l never know.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Which part of Rockland is worst, the one closer to the roundabout or the one on the other side of the grass that divides them?

This sort of thinking only works in the land of the shackled scumbag. I presume most of these guys have legs, bikes and cars to carry them across grass, footpaths, and estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd have no probs living there myself, provided the house was ok.

But I have heard stories about employers who won't hire anyone with a Ballybane address, just on principle. Don't know how widespread that sort of "thinking" is.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I've lived in some bad places and would consider Ballybane one of them. The end nearer Merlin Renmore seems okay.
    A friend was stoned cycling through.
    Best thing to do is walk around the place at night - before renting and check it out. Personally I wouldn't live there. The supervalue area is pretty rough and the shops around it seem to be dropping like flies.

And how about the Docks area? I'm just curious about it.. I mean Docks Rd, Merchants Rd and the area around port.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That docks area is yuppieland unlike most of Ballybane . If you move east then move to Renmore instead of Ballybane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

geem wrote: »
    The supervalue area is pretty rough and the shops around it seem to be dropping like flies.

To be fair the shops in the that complex never last more than a few months/years and it's been like that for about twenty years.

Docks area? Nope. Lived there too. The apartments can be awful damp. Street cleaners early in the morning. Accessible for sure though. As already said, head Renmore direction...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Ballybane isn't bad, not as bad as some people have heard it to be. Castlepark I've heard is a bit rougher, but not definate on that.

If the Lantern is opening again they'll be more people around, but I've been in there myself some years ago and no hassles. No major problems with Supervalu, just the kids that hang around can be a pain (and very amusing exchanges with them and the security guard) but there's no harm in them, most wouldn't say boo to you. There's a veg shop, dry clearers and a bookies, along with the takeaway and extra vision. You've also got Scottys and a laundrette in Glasan student village.

Expect lots of traffic in the mornings and the students in the villages nearby.

Renmore/Merlin - ok area, mixture of private houses (with lovely gardens) and rentals. Beware the condition of some houses as I've seen some very awful places in my years in the area. And beware of electrical wiring as I know that one particular estate in Merlin/Murrough area, Lios an Uisce has issues. On the plus side, there's Ballyloughane beach in the area which is a nice facility.

Dock and Merchants I've heard to be very expensive in region 800-1500 a mth upwards, have a search on daft.

Advertisement