Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 17 - The rule of thirds, and how to break it...

• 10-07-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

The Theme is 'Knowing the rule of thrids, and how to break it' - strictly no software wizardry allowed! You can do whatever you like to produce your image, but once you take the shot, only basic adjustments allowed, curves, crop etc.

The Rules.

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date 24th July, 9pm.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 10th July onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).

Example:
    3660314493_aa7f75de6b.jpg

Some links for reference:
    http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds
    http://digital-photography-school.com/break-the-rule-of-thirds

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Well done Karma on the last one and good topic for this one. Have to get the thinking cap on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Well done Karma on the last one and good topic for this one. Have to get the thinking cap on now.

Thanks. I had a few ideas, but I thought this might get the most interesting photos. And I think it will be interesting to see what the more seasoned photographers come up with when being brought back to basics!

Here's another link to a sample photo I found browsing that's quite good:

http://alibony365.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/33-break-the-rule-of-thirds/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Ok...first try...

3707305392_f0b0f29c50.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I guess this breaks the rule if I understand it correctly. The horizon is in the middle, the intersection points are more or less clear.....Id imagine in general landscapes are less inclined to lend themselves to the rule unless there is a single subject matter within the scape?

3704810017_79a35617d2.jpg?v=0

Trev M wrote: »
    I guess this breaks the rule

At least it breaks the rule of the assignment ;) ...it was taken before the 10th July... But other that that i'd say it fits into it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ive just spent ages looking up this rule of third thing, cos i'm in no way a pro photographer, never even done a course, couldn't figure it then bing, now to find something to enter the assignment with........hhhhuuuuummmmmm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ive just spent ages looking up this rule of third thing, cos i'm in no way a pro photographer, never even done a course, couldn't figure it then bing, now to find something to enter the assignment with........hhhhuuuuummmmmm.....

Could you explain how to break it to me? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭vectra

draffodx wrote: »
    Could you explain how to break it to me? :D

I am assuming it is a uncomposed pic?
    Point and shoot so to speak??:confused:

vectra wrote: »
    I am assuming it is a uncomposed pic?
    Point and shoot so to speak??:confused:

I think any picture will do, so long as the main aspects of the picture aren't where the three "thirds" lines cross?

ie; the object(s) in the picture are centered, at either side of the picture, scattered about randomly or take up the whole image? I'm not fully sure. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, but i'll throw up an uninformed, not-very-well-thought-out attempt. No harm in trying :)

P6220202.jpg?t=1247338450

And another, for the sake of it (not sure if this one counts or not though?)

P7090296.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well at least something got broken
    3710018055_149d113062.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

and another from today
    3710971920_ebc8522fb3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

58346354AFC34841873C200EB7F6FE8D-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I decided this photo worked better with the horizon in the centre of the picture as I wanted to show how the water was reflecting the light from the sky.

996B1D0FBFBA48358599E9B227CC6741-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

whoops Apologies...:(

I'm not sure if this fits the bill or not, but here goes....

27FE042CE8EE4A4488201E4F6450E642-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

D47F0B6E1D314C8A80686B66C57DBE8E-500.jpg
    never put the subject in the middle of the shot... :pac: hoh well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does this qualify?

91ACA2BC7EB14C88A586D4526C3C34B0-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

My first entry...
    ruleofthirds1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

My second entry...
    ruleofthirds2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Not 100% sure on exact guidelines

Took this today in Cork after work

Advertising hoarding with woman passing by.

2wpic7r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh, I normally break the rule of thirds without even thinking about it, but when i'm intentionally seeking to break it, tis a different thing altogether.

Taken tonight.

E21F4CA463C146739B77260622B51CAF.jpg

Well, I'm back from my little break and see that this has sparked some conversation, and confusion too!

To clarify what the rule of thirds is, and then how to break it (keep in mind, I'm new to this too) it kinda goes like this.

Rule of thirds, use lines to divide your photo on the "thirds" as such:

ruleofthirds.jpg

When taking a photo you usually align the "focal point" of your photo to 1 of the green dots (or more than 1 dot for multiple focal points). If it's a horizon, or verical "line" you can align it to 1 full line on the diagram.

An example of adhereing to the rule of thirds from my own album:

3641061104_de9a0476f7.jpg

The light on the lamp post roughly hits the top left green dot if you overlaid the grid. Also, a second use of the rule, the horizon lies pretty much across the full of bottom line.

The example in my posted pick:

In this picture I've tried to break it by drawing the focus right into the middle of the photograph. Even though the 2 front trees look like they pass the rules, they in fact sit both left and right of the vertical lines.

Obviously it doesn't have to be completely central to break the rules. I'm not going to go into other peoples pictures, but a few people have quite cleverly show how to break it. While some have, unintentionally, abided by the rule in their picture.

Hopefully the above makes it clearer. And as AnCatDubh said, it's actually much harder to find a picture to break the rule with than I had originally anticipated. I'm struggling with my own assignment myself!!

Think I'm getting the hang of this now......emphasis on "think"!

Thought I'd give this another shot. I'm useless at photography and all related things, but I like these photo challenges :D:o

p7140365.jpg

3720166468_ee75e2ea9c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Thought I'd give this another shot. I'm useless at photography and all related things, but I like these photo challenges :D:o

Obviously not useless, really like that one :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

149D9A2A64174CC5932F77F0DFE371D9-500.jpg

Haven't taken one had it processed in time in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

So, another;

AEBC4A37563D4E8E8E0F155A951C5B26.jpg

I love the lens flare, the bokeh, the bit which I managed to get into focus, the over exposure, the shooting into the sun, the lack of compliance with the rule of thirds - eek, I probably broke about 10 rules never mind that of thirds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

^^^but it works! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

eq1kwm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

3724186649_23e0bc4eeb.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Rite folks heres my entry, if only i had a better camera, well i was working so thats explainable , i know the quality is terrible but seen this and immediatly thought of the assignment, so i grabbed myphone from my pocket before he got to the top, its of my brother going up a ladder about 35feet up the top of a gable wall of a house, its mad looking, well i think so, ha ha.
    3727158200_7a9f0cbac2.jpg?v=0

3727294177_02e9eac304.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭armedboarder

3118282395_97632d9f35.jpg

If i'm getting this then in this photo I am using the rule of thirds.

• Advertisement

3118685519_9875fc2cec.jpg

And in this one i'm not ??

I believe it's the other way around, armedboarder. :)

Neither of them conform with the rule of thirds!

In the first one the focal point for me is the steeple of the church (the window drawing the eye), which pretty much sits smack bang in the middle.

In the second, the horizon is bang on middle, and the building is very far right (i.e. not near a third)

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    Neither of them conform with the rule of thirds!

In the first one the focal point for me is the steeple of the church (the window drawing the eye), which pretty much sits smack bang in the middle.

In the second, the horizon is bang on middle, and the building is very far right (i.e. not near a third)

Grrrrr

Grrrrr

But that's a good thing :D

The whole point of the assignment is "breaking the rule of thirds". Although, I the reason I chose it was to force people to understand it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Hello,

My first post here after lurking around for ages looking at all the great photos. Let me know if ive posted this wrong.

Thought id have a go at capturing the light and shadows passing through the flat one evening. Not 100% sure its breaks the thirds rule though.

Cheers!

3730157100_c4f06d954a_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmytee/3730157100/

3729867785_8ca34dee6a.jpg?v=0

Second attempt (I'll stop now)

3729984123_11cc071ac1.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

A colorful July evening!

81B132304C394C5099C3DD35CEC992C2-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The clouds grab the sun before it disappears!

889A31117FF141348A3FD0DB566DB19B-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭John mac

How do i get the photos to display in the thread?
    P1050847.JPG

This is the link

Seems to work for me: code is here
    [noparse]P1050847.JPG[/noparse]

P1050847.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

May as well stick this one up too. Another shot taken whilst grovelling on the floor!

3729464001_335e955c95_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmytee/3729464001/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Dont know if this qualifies or not but here goes :o
    3732665509_468cfd67e4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    Well, I'm back from my little break and see that this has sparked some conversation, and confusion too!

To clarify what the rule of thirds is, and then how to break it (keep in mind, I'm new to this too) it kinda goes like this.

Rule of thirds, use lines to divide your photo on the "thirds" as such:

ruleofthirds.jpg

When taking a photo you usually align the "focal point" of your photo to 1 of the green dots (or more than 1 dot for multiple focal points). If it's a horizon, or verical "line" you can align it to 1 full line on the diagram.

An example of adhereing to the rule of thirds from my own album:

3641061104_de9a0476f7.jpg

The light on the lamp post roughly hits the top left green dot if you overlaid the grid. Also, a second use of the rule, the horizon lies pretty much across the full of bottom line.

The example in my posted pick:

In this picture I've tried to break it by drawing the focus right into the middle of the photograph. Even though the 2 front trees look like they pass the rules, they in fact sit both left and right of the vertical lines.

Obviously it doesn't have to be completely central to break the rules. I'm not going to go into other peoples pictures, but a few people have quite cleverly show how to break it. While some have, unintentionally, abided by the rule in their picture.

Hopefully the above makes it clearer. And as AnCatDubh said, it's actually much harder to find a picture to break the rule with than I had originally anticipated. I'm struggling with my own assignment myself!!

So does that mean any other focal point besides the dots?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement