Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare HIM - too ambitious?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I've signed up for the Kenmare Half Ironman and I'm wondering if I'm being too ambitious - particularly when it comes to the cycle.

I've not entered a tri for a couple of years now and even then the max I did was Olympic distance.

I broke 4 hours for my first marathon this year in April and I ran the half marathon in clontarf in 1:45 a week ago.

I've started back swim training and can cover 1k in the pool in around 18 mins without pushing it.
    Today I did a 2.5k swim session and a 7k run.

The thing is my bike training has consisted of a few spins out around Howth head and back - around 30km at a time.

I just want to finish... is it realistic in the time that’s left?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Also doing it for the first time. Probably a bit ahead of you in the cycling - I did 1.48 in Clontarf.
    If you can do 1.45 for the half you are obviously in decent shape and you have that distance in the legs now.
    All you need to do is get out on a few long spins.
    Head up to Wicklow and do a couple of 100Ks
    You will be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 savaloy

If your objective is to get round then I reckon you shoukld be fine provided that you think about and practice your nutrition before race day. You also to make sure you don't overcook it on the bike. I would recommend practising eating and drinking your fuel of choice on the bike and then running off it (for say 10/15 minutes) to get your body used to it. Based on your stand alone half marathon time you're going to be running for over 2 hours once you come off the bike, so you need to make sure you're adequately fuelled by the time you get to the run.

Advertisement