Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you ID this

Options
  • 10-07-2009 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm Trying to ID this weed/Plant Photo 0028.jpg
    i thought it might be a thistle of some kind, it is about 3ft high now and has thorns along the spine of each leaf and all the way up the stems, the leaves join at the base and create a cup that holds water so i was then thinking maybe its some kind of a carnivorous plant. does anyone know what it is :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks like Teazle to me. They used to use these for combing wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Yep would go along with that (Teazle). I remember my mother using these in flower arrangements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Teasel - Dipsascus fullonum

An erect biennial with small prickles on the stem and distinctive spiny flower heads. Common teasel may reach 6 1/2 feet in height and is primarily a weed of roadsides, pastures, hayfields.

As far as I know they self-seed so you could end up with a lot of them!

I know it's classed as a weed but I think it looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oggie#1

thanks for the help everyone, it was driving me mad not knowing what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Hi Oggie, are you going to get rid of it or keep it?
    Actually looks very cool never saw it before,
    though foxinsox did say you could end up with loads
    of them which could be a downside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oggie#1

Hi Highwire, yeah i am going to keep it because it is very cool looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 diywoman

I Had this last year, the "flowers "were not as great as you would expect, it grew to about 7 foot BUT ....I have about 700 babies ALL OVER MY GARDEN this year it gets TOTALLY out of control I would chop it down now if I was you before it starts seeding........................

Advertisement