Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi Problems

• 10-07-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    My old XP laptop (not sure what wifi card) used to lose the wifi connection in my house for no apparent reason and show "Cannot find connection". I usually restarted my computer or tried to repair connection and this usually worked. It's now happening with my Italian house mate's computer. Is there anything to do to solve this problem? Both laptops run XP but are different makes....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

If the problem is happening with more than one laptop/pc then its more than likely an issue with the wirless access point or wireless router.

I would firstly make sure that the router/access point is not near equipment which might interfere with its signal (things like cordless phones)

After that, i would go into the router settings ( if you are familiar with this ) and change the wireless channel to a different number.

If all else fails, it wouldnt hurt to get a firmware upgrade for your wireless access point/router and apply it.

Best of luck m8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

Thanks for the quick reply Mossy.
    I should have pointed out that this problem happened in both Ireland and Australia on networks that work fined with other computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

Ok then, to be completely thorough i would download the latest driver for your wireless network card and install it. If you go into your device manager you should be able to see what make your network card is, ie broadcom, intel etc etc. You might also be able to get the latest driver for it by going to the manufacturer web site of your laptop be it HP, Dell or whatever. Also make sure your windows updates have been applied.

You can also go into the config of your wireless network card in the device manager and change its wireless channel to a different number to see if it helps make the connection more stable.

try the above and see how it goes.

Oh and a point of advice - if you are changing a lot of settings, make sure to make a note of what they were originally just in case you make the situation worse and need to change back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

Where exactly do I find the type of wireless card i have? I couldn't see a device manager in the control panel...

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Right click on My Computer and select Manage from the menu. The Device Manager is on the left hand side, about half way down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

In case you don't know your WLAN NIC will be listed under network adapters in the device manager.

If you're changing the wireless broadcast channel on your router via ethernet cable you may need to disable autochanneling, which on router boot scans through the possible channels to try and find the one most free of interference, to force the channel you set manually.

What router do you have?

Before doing this, does your modem have a reset button?

Can either laptops detect any WLANs?

What operating system?

Have you tried removing the WLAN and attempting to re-add it afresh?

I know there are two laptops but are you certain WiFI is turned on both of them? Can you confirm this by a light or a switch?

Advertisement