Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rob Hicks ....any good??

Options
  • 10-07-2009 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. Does anyone have any of his work on them? I'm considering going to his Portlaoise shop because it's close to me but it's hard to judge the quality of his work on the Vegas & V2 site http://www.vegasv2.com/

Any feedback and/or pics would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm into old school/trad tattoo styles so if Mr Hicks doesn't come up to scratch I'll probably venture down to Karen Russell in Midleton.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

you have to sign up to see the gallery? nuts to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

hot2def wrote: »
    you have to sign up to see the gallery? nuts to that...

Yeah. I signed up and it still offers nothing. It's 99% piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

O'Prez wrote: »
    I'm considering going to his Portlaoise shop because it's close to me

Shouldn't really be a factor in your decision, surely you want to go to the best and most appropriate artist rather than the one closest to your house?

Diceicle wrote: »
    Shouldn't really be a factor in your decision, surely you want to go to the best and most appropriate artist rather than the one closest to your house?

Well the last one I got done I went to Seattle to get it inked. I suppose by virtue of the fact that there's absolutely no info on the guy anywhere ssays it all. I went to the Portlaoise shop today and this is the conversation I had with the woman behind the counter:

Me: "Hello, is Rob Hicks here today?"
    Woman: "No".
    ....silence..
    Me: "When will he be here?"
    Woman: "The end of the month".
    Me: "What day?"
    Woman: "It varies".
    Me: "Well does he have any books with examples of his work here?"
    Woman: "No".
    ...another silence...I pount out the photos of tattoos in the shop door window...
    Me: "Are those photos of his work?"
    Woman: "No."

...at that point I just fecked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ChuckyODuinn

Rob is a good tattoo artist.I have 9 tatts and Rob done 3 of them.
    Spends most of his time in the TULLAMORE studio and always have to book in 3 weeks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Here's a link to some of his work: http://www.vegasv2.com/tattooing.html , while the images can't be enlarged, what's on display here wouldnt have persuade me to book with him. Pretty average stuff IMO.
    Whoever designed that site needs to go back to the drawing board, who wants to register to see an artists portfolio ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

i ve seen lot of rob's black n grey work at think its pretty awesome, i work in new studio in portlaoise and i ve had customer in who has a lot of black n grey work by rob but he doesnt do colour at moment there a 6 week wait for him in portlaoise but if u after black and grey piece definately recommend him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 john grennan

i started to go to rob after a mate suggested him to me i have over 10 hours of work done off rob and its all colour work really vivid colours that i didnt think you could have in a tattoo.
    i would highly recomend rob!!
    regardless if you cant see his work online call into the shop he will be happy to show you his work!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

O'Prez wrote: »
    Well the last one I got done I went to Seattle to get it inked.

I'd go to Seattle again if I were you! Where did you get your tattoo done in Seattle? Slave To The Needle is an excellent studio there.

I'd go to Seattle again if I were you! Where did you get your tattoo done in Seattle? Slave To The Needle is an excellent studio there.

I got it done by Tim Mccarthy here: http://www.myspace.com/tsunamitat2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jamie1530

My friend had a cross done on his lower arm by him. Really is a good tattoo. Neat, straight and detailed. Had to wait two weeks to get it. Btw were from Tullamore and thats where he spends most of his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tommywiseau

Jamie1530 wrote: »
    My friend had a cross done on his lower arm by him. Really is a good tattoo. Neat, straight and detailed. Had to wait two weeks to get it. Btw were from Tullamore and thats where he spends most of his time.
    that cross sounds amazing.. straight lines! class! wow, you're lucky. i had to wait two (2) years for my appointment with him.. i think he was busy filiming miami ink or something.. the best tattooist in tullamore.. well at least in the top 3.

p.s. :pac:

Advertisement