Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil Holidays

Options
  • 10-07-2009 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

not sure if this is the right forum (or maybe one for Rant & Rave not sure mods???)

But, its the Dáil's last day before their 'Summer Holidays'
    - I for one think this is a joke that they still get to take a 8-9 week break considering overall the irish economy is still in rag order (wow they are coming back for Nama mid september) but obviousuly the other main issues like Electrician Strikes, closures at Crumlin Hospital, possible cuts due on Social welfare & allowances etc.... without going into great detail

What do people think? Should they really take this break during a recession of all times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There are other threads on this but my view is pretty simple, it is a fantasy to pretend TDs spend much time in the Dail chamber as a matter of course. It is the system that is the problem.

They are generally working on constituency matters, etc.

The break just means they wont come to Dublin for a while and while some will take some holidays it certainly wont be for 8-9 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Riskymove wrote: »
    There are other threads on this but my view is pretty simple, it is a fantasy to pretend TDs spend much time in the Dail chamber as a matter of course. It is the system that is the problem.

They are generally working on constituency matters, etc.

The break just means they wont come to Dublin for a while and while some will take some holidays it certainly wont be for 8-9 weeks

So going by what you're saying they dont do anything in there anyway and another 8-9 weeks shouldnt matter too much "especially at a time of unprecedented world crisis" (Cowens words circa February 2009)
    Is that it??

basically yes

what difference will it make if TDs are in the Dail acting like children to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Riskymove wrote: »
    basically yes

what difference will it make if TDs are in the Dail acting like children to each other?

I dont agree with that at all..That kind of attitude lets them off the hook completely IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If they are not there, they can't make it any worse.

Or the average back bench TD is an overpaid mesanger boy who contributes little or nothing to the well being of the country. As for the Govenment, well they are somewhere between incompetent and mediocre for the most part.

The affairs of this state could be run off a laptop if it were only programmed correctly.

Actually that could probably be best used in a ranting and raving thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mike65 wrote: »
    Or the average back bench TD is an overpaid mesanger boy who contributes little or nothing to the well being of the country.

That's assuming that they turn up half the time. Many have other jobs and occupations and only turn up in the dail when something interesting is happening. I'm not advocating that deputies and senators should clock in, but their record of attendance should have a bearing on the pay they collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

That's assuming that they turn up half the time. Many have other jobs and occupations and only turn up in the dail when something interesting is happening. I'm not advocating that deputies and senators should clock in, but their record of attendance should have a bearing on the pay they collect.

I'd agree with this, I know of one back-bencher that also has full time job,
    he's never at the dáil either, but from what I've heard he is picking up nice pay cheques from both being a counciller and his full time job.
    Its the likes of this where they should only be paid on their actual work they do for the government/economy.
    But then again, they might do sweet f.a and claim they did a solid months work, but who's going to dispute or check this .... nobody??
    (they'll probably pay him out of Fás expenses or something :pac:)

CorkFenian wrote: »
    I dont agree with that at all..That kind of attitude lets them off the hook completely IMHO

you don't agree with what?

I find its letting them off the hook completely to get worked up by media hype over a "holiday" that doesn't really change anything while no-one seems to care at all about the real issue;

for example that the time the dail is sitting is a complete waste of time and that most TDs have little or no involvement in it other than to show up and vote on party lines and leave again

Reform of our parliament is as much needed as other public sector reform

Advertisement