Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Dump

• 10-07-2009 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭

Anyone get a shocking stink off the dump last night around the town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Anyone get a shocking stink off the dump last night around the town?

Been like that on and off for the past month or so. I have to pass it (well near enough it) twice a day and the bang off it is woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

nasty, but not getting a smell in the center of town :P
    Where abouts are ye getting the smell other than passing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Always get the oul whiff of Ballydonagh as I approach the Kilmartin flyover off the motorway. It's worse when its raining because it just seems to hang in the air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

got the pang out in the college last week! Rank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was getting it around Cornamaddy and Woddville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ballydonaghs been getting progressively worse in the past few years. Guess its just a natural thing with the accumulation of more and more rubbish. I do wish the new road went a bit wider of it but what can ya do. Wind up the windows..

Bypass around Coosan-Shannon area is also pretty rancid. Gaw :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It's from the very heavy downpours mixed with the relatively warm weather we've had over the last month or two. That dump can't have much of a lifespan left anyway, the sooner they close it the better, the bang off it was particularly bad at the weekend, not a nice introduction to Athlone for tourists approaching from the east:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Yeah the I was passing the dump Monday night and there was a right pong off the dump. I stopped in at killmartins and you could still smell it, everyone there was complaining about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I remember one of the local FF councillors said the smell had been dealt with and was much less than it used to be. He obviously doesn't live nearby, because it seems worse than ever these days, driving by. I 'd hate to be those people who live around it, must be impossible to sell a house there.

The best solution is to sink a few boreholes and fit burners to burn the offgassing, could even be used for a small scale power generator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wasnt there a small explosion there a month back from gas or something?

I think the dump is being closed soon for good.

We get to send our **** to tullamore...

Advertisement