Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some buying/selling Qs...

• 10-07-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Just confirming that:

The 'best' brick & mortar shop to buy from is Gunnes?

The 40D is still in stock alongside 50D?

And was wondering that, should I purchase a new Canon, is there any merit to putting my 350D w/battery grip, 18-55 non-IS kit lens, 1 gb card and bag up on adverts? What's the going rate for that 2nd hand stuff? Or should I keep it as a back-up?

Ta all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

dunno

yes

only the body/grip is worth anything. Ask yourself why you'd keep it. Unless you need a low -value body you don't care about (eg for travelling / outdoors/ watersports) or you need a backup for critical work (weddings) then sell it and use the shillings to fund a nice lens that you'll keep for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Anyone for a second opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

selling you should expect to get 70% of what you paid - assuming its in good nick.

Personally I would hold on to it - if you dont need the cash.

While Gunns may be the best bricks and mortar shop - you save a lot more by going online and purchasing there....or purchasing secondhand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

Whether to buy or sell the old kit depends on what your needs are. I think 70% of its value for a camera like the 350D is very optimistic considering it's 4 generations old at this point.

I'd suggest keeping it - you may be surprised at the uses you can put it to. If you don't end up using it, sell it on or give it to someone who will appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Good lenses retain their value, but entry level digital cameras not so much. When the 300D first came out, I think I paid about 1400 euro. And that was a saving of about 200 euro by buying from Germany. I'd say I'd be lucky to get 200 euro for it now ? Whereas a good lens of that age would be no problem to sell.

A search for your camera model on adverts.ie should give you an idea about what thay are selling for.

I bought a 40D a couple of years ago, and kept the 300D as backup. But I've never had to use it, and the controls are so different that if I needed it in a hurry I'd be struggling to remember how to set it up properly. I'm going to just give it away to a relative who has an interest in photography.

If you don't mind paying a little extra for bricks and mortar, Gunne's are great. They are helpful and always appreciate you as a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Yah, 70% is too much. I'd settle for 200, it's a great camera and would suit someone who's just going digital. I'd only be updating the camera because I got some extra cash unexpectedly. Fancy something physically bigger - €200 would go towards a battery grip for a 40D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my apologies - I was saying 70% as a general sale price. (ie. lenses or pro bodies)

didnt actually check your camera model and how long its been out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

TelePaul wrote: »
    Just confirming that:

The 'best' brick & mortar shop to buy from is Gunnes?

The 40D is still in stock alongside 50D?

And was wondering that, should I purchase a new Canon, is there any merit to putting my 350D w/battery grip, 18-55 non-IS kit lens, 1 gb card and bag up on adverts? What's the going rate for that 2nd hand stuff? Or should I keep it as a back-up?

Ta all.

Gunnes and yes I believe you can still get a 40D. Keep the 350D. I sold mine and after a minor accident to my then 40D heartily regretted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

If it was me in your position I'd keep the 350D kit.

Its not a bad little body, noisy sensor which is very evident in poor light conditions but teamed up with L-series glass and good bright conditions or a studio conditions it can produce some very good results indeed.

Keep it as a back up for emergencies would be my suggestion.

Advertisement