Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223-.243

Options
  • 10-07-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, I know this has probably been asked before but i couldn't find it. Anyway, I wanted to know can I do a straight swop from a .223 to a .243? Do I have to get the license ammeneded or is it just a switch on the spot? And if I do have to make a new application, will I have to have a deer license or something of that kind? Thanks lads for any heads up on the issue...

Kay....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

A lot is dependent on your local Garda who deals with firearms, so no one can really give you a comprehensive answer.

The only way to find out for sure is to ask them.

In general though the .243 is seen as a calibre for deer so you could be asked why you want it if you're not deer shooting? Are you a member of a range and is it specifically for target shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Vegeta wrote: »
    A lot is dependent on your local Garda who deals with firearms, so no one can really give you a comprehensive answer.

The only way to find out for sure is to ask them.

In general though the .243 is seen as a calibre for deer so you could be asked why you want it if you're not deer shooting? Are you a member of a range and is it specifically for target shooting?

I'm not a member of a range and I cant prove it's for target shooting. I wanted it for foxing and target shooting on my own lands.
    Thanks Vegeta..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kay 9 wrote: »
    I'm not a member of a range and I cant prove it's for target shooting. I wanted it for foxing and target shooting on my own lands.
    Thanks Vegeta..

I am not trying to be a dick or anything but you should be prepared that you may not get it then, its a big'ish calibre and the .223 is perfectly capable for all the above. If your local Garda knows anything about firearms he'll point that out too.

Call in and talk to your local lad, that's the best thing you could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

it all depends on how well you get on with them .i play squash with a local garda he changed a .22lr for a 243 a few years ago i never had any problems with any thing .

he has now moved up the ranks and i have a total ass hoxe now a anti ,he told me to my face that is is anti gun .i told him its a good job its only your opinion .

i would chance it just get the paper work of your RFD and send it in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jwshooter wrote: »
    it all depends on how well you get on with them .i play squash with a local garda he changed a .22lr for a 243 a few years ago i never had any problems with any thing .

he has now moved up the ranks and i have a total ass hoxe now a anti ,he told me to my face that is is anti gun .i told him its a good job its only your opinion .
    i would chance it just get the paper work of your RFD and send it in

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

... and justice for all...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

he told me to my face that is is anti gun .i told him its a good job its only your opinion .

:DWell said!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks lads for all the info, I might just hold onto the 223 instead, I just thought a change would be good, but as they say.."Size aint everything" lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Good luck to JWya and if you can then do but this is a disgraceful way for a Garda to carry on,this kind of stuff has put the ordinary ppl of this country on their knees.

kakashka wrote: »
    Good luck to JWya and if you can then do but this is a disgraceful way for a Garda to carry on,this kind of stuff has put the ordinary ppl of this country on their knees.

it went to HQ for the amendment they had no problem the super had no problem and the Sergeant stamped had no problem it so my local lad only done the paper work but he did push it through quickly for me .

so why do you have a problem does it not suit you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

it went to HQ for the amendment they had no problem the super had no problem and the Sergeant stamped had no problem it so my local lad only done the paper work but he did push it through quickly for me .

Suits me fine actually as i have 5 rifles,but it doesnt make it right..
    you did originally say the garda changed the 22lr for a 243.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think it was more the "I play squash with my local lad so I've no problems" tone of your post jw - the reasoning being that Gardai are paid to do a job and not show favoritism, and well, him rushing paperwork because he knows you is favoritism.

Put it this way - you'd have a different view of it if the local lad played squash with an ICABS member...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Sparks wrote: »
    I think it was more the "I play squash with my local lad so I've no problems" tone of your post jw - the reasoning being that Gardai are paid to do a job and not show favoritism, and well, him rushing paperwork because he knows you is favoritism.

Put it this way - you'd have a different view of it if the local lad played squash with an ICABS member...
    lets face it sparks this sort of thing is or was rampant in ireland ," i know you from the gaa/football/handball club or the pub /church/school etc so its grand "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Child abuse and wifebeating is and was rampant as well rowa.
    Some things shouldn't continue just because that's how they are now.

unlike the cities and towns ,us lads living in small rural areas know our local guards well and they know us .

i live a few fields from mine.

thats why the garda top brass have foot patrols in the towns and cities so locals get to speak to there members.

they know the sound lads and who is taking the mick ,unfortunately a new lad has taken over and the area has suffered as he is not involved in local activities.

i do play squash with my local lad but i never let him win if i can.

Advertisement