Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term review of pellet stoves?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

Can I get feedback on the pellet stove you have installed for more than 1 yr?

Regards,

TC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've got 2 pellet stoves (one room heater and one for central heating) installed about 2 years now. When they work, theres good heat off them (esp. the room heater) but since oil dropped in price, there's not much saving, if any, when buying the pellets. We have gone back to using the oil boiler to heat the water for the morning showers and for washing up during the day as the wood pellet boiler has to be run for over twice as long to get the water hot. I'm sorry that I didn't get solar panels installed to do this.

I find that the pellet stoves can be temperamental to start and they can shut down citing "ignition failure" even when the pellets have caught fire. This is annoying when you are relying on the central heating stove to heat the house up in the winter time (not nice getting up to a cold house!!) and so we generally use the oil in the mornings and the pellets in the evening.

If I was doing it again, I wouldn't have bothered with the central heating pellet stove and would have used this money to buy solar panels and another smaller room heating stove instead.

Advertisement