Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist in enniskillen

• 10-07-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Has anyone used a dentist up north / enniskillen, looking to get work done all replys welcome

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Also looking for the same in Enniskillen. I need to get a crown done.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

<snip> dental. simply the best.
    got quoted 4 grand in south...done there for 2 grand in 4 visits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

<snip>

I had a look at that link. The before and after pics don't inspire confidence in 'cosmetic dentistry'. probably using NHS labs like all the other cut price clinics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

have had my work done there and i standby my recommendation

just trying to be helpful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

<snip>

Yep, we've used them, a family member needed serious work done, quoted €32000 down here, €13500 there when we changed over the money, and that was when sterling was much higher in value to the euro.
    They also accept the euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭omelette

<snip>
    Wow, 3 years down the line, things appear to have changed somewhat - I had high hopes of getting a reasonable quote from snip for a root-canal, so given what I'd been led to believe from reading up on this, I am perplexed on having just been quoted an initial £75 first-time consultation fee along with a base-price of £300 (not Euros) for a root-canal! And the lady I talked to stressed it would be more if there was additional "fillings" involved - don't know if that was referring to additional teeth or simply additional costs for the root-canal tooth itself.

The local dentist did a botch of a job on a filling as far as I'm concerned, which has resulted in an abscess. Although a root-canal was suggested as an option at the time, I let the dentist choose, a large filling or a root-canal - looks like he chose wrong! Or maybe he knew a root-canal would be ultimately a necessity and I'd be a return-customer! I'm getting cynical in my old age. Either way, I wasn't happy with the service, at the time or now - the tooth had been ultra-sensitive to heat/cold ever since, and at the 'don't-care' attitude I got when I brought it up at a subsequent cleaning - so I was looking for someone else anyway - though cheaper would obviously have been better!

Incidently, €300 was what I was quoted here in the ROI for a root-canal then.

So that kinda puts the kabosh on my going up north for cheap(er) dental treatment, presuming of course that this pricing is now typical 'up there'...

Last edited by helimachoptor; Today at 10:01. Reason: No names

Hmm, curious as to why - businesses threatening legal-action in the past perhaps? How long has this policy been in place (not 3 years ago obviously since you have also edited this threads earlier posts) and does that mean that people can no longer make recommendations either? If so, that seems very Draconian.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

omelette wrote: »
    Hmm, curious as to why - businesses threatening legal-action in the past perhaps? How long has this policy been in place (not 3 years ago obviously since you have also edited this threads earlier posts) and does that mean that people can no longer make recommendations either? If so, that seems very Draconian.

Quite some time (I wasnt here when it was implemented so dont have the date off hand) but no it wasnt in place 3 years and yes legal action os the reason.

Unfortunately we need a blanket ban on the naming of practices good or bad.
    If a practice gets negative comments they may sue boards. If they get a good review and then a person reads that and goes to that practice and then gets a botch job they sue boards so it's a no win situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Allow a bad post- legal action
    Allow a good post- the shill flood gates open and dental issues becomes one big advertisment for sneaky clinics....
    There's no upside to allowing names, If someone wants a recommendation, they can PM for it.
    If you want to look up different clinic, google runs a pretty good service
    Dental Issues is primarily used to advise patients on their care as opposed to specific clinics

Good luck,
    OS

Wow that's imo is an alarming change-of-policy - self-imposed SOPA or whatever! Particularly since there is/was nothing defamatory about the dental practice in question, just relaying their current root-canal fee - straight from the horses mouth as it were!

I'm also not convinced that any such threat of legal action would have any legal basis - I mean a web-based recommendation??? One of the main reasons people search sites like this is for 'specific' information, not playing-it-safe vague information.

Sorry to say it but I think policies like that will make boards like this less and less relevant, with just general 'gossip' only being allowed...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You'd be surprised what people would sue over.
    People can PM you for information etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Wow that's imo is an alarming change-of-policy - self-imposed SOPA or whatever! Particularly since there is/was nothing defamatory about the dental practice in question, just relaying their current root-canal fee - straight from the horses mouth as it were!

I'm also not convinced that any such threat of legal action would have any legal basis - I mean a web-based recommendation??? One of the main reasons people search sites like this is for 'specific' information, not playing-it-safe vague information.

Sorry to say it but I think policies like that will make boards like this less and less relevant, with just general 'gossip' only being allowed...

With 50 posts in 11 years, I don't think you should worry too much about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

No names allowed for the above reasons. For instance this thread was recommending a clinic who post on their website after pictures are a pure terrible (assuming they chose their best photos for the website). Also the fact that the bargains in the north are gone as its got more expensive, people from the south are not willing to accept NHS standard dentistry and the South has gotten cheaper.

If you read the charter you will see that the no names rules are not up for discussion. Its been in place for several years now and this forum is a better place for it. The problems we had were real, thank the shills who plugged their clinics shamelessly posing as 3rd parties and the spammers. Any further discussion of this rule will lead to this thread being closed and the offender infracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Omelette you were warned about challenging forum rules, and one of the rules is discussion of pricing see the charter. Thread locked, and tidied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement