Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tergat wrote: »
    amadeus,

You should race the HM as this will give you a guide as to what pace you should run in Cork. You cant beat having a HM done 4-5 weeks before a full Marathon as it tells you exactly what you are capable of for the full thing.

Tergat

While your there tergat...i am running the wexford half 5 weeks before cork and what would 80,81 or 82 mins equate to in your estimate for me in cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭tergat

Sosa wrote: »
    While your there tergat...i am running the wexford half 5 weeks before cork and what would 80,81 or 82 mins equate to in your estimate for me in cork ?

Hi Sosa,

If you run 81 mins you should technically be capable of running in the 2.49-2.54 range. However it really depends on your endurance qualities and your mental tenacity.

Tergat

Hi Sosa,

If you run 81 mins you should technically be capable of running in the 2.49-2.54 range. However it really depends on your endurance qualities and your mental tenacity.

Tergat

Im sorry i asked now :eek:
    I have pleny of tenacity but fear for my endurance qualities.

I have tried to address this snice Dublin.
    I am running more now and faster,have knocked more than a minute off my 5m (28:24) and 10k (36:16) just in the last few weeks and did a 10m in 60:36 in January but still have fears of explosion on the big day.
    I am doing my LSR's slower this time round,a tempo or Vo2 each week and a pmp run of around 10m.

Is the 10m at pmp each week to much ?

Suggestions ?

I have tried to address this snice Dublin.
    I am running more now and faster,have knocked more than a minute off my 5m (28:24) and 10k (36:16) just in the last few weeks and did a 10m in 60:36 in January but still have fears of explosion on the big day.
    I am doing my LSR's slower this time round,a tempo or Vo2 each week and a pmp run of around 10m.

Is the 10m at pmp each week to much ?

Suggestions ?

Sosa,

Your 60 min 10 miler suggests 2.50 ish is possible but only with Marathon SPECIFIC training behind you. See my post a few minutes ago with some key workouts. This needs to be your focus as these are SPECIFIC to the Marathon. If you skip these in favour of SPEEDWORK you will bonk at 18-20 miles. These give you the staying power for your goal race pace.

Focus on two key days for the week say WED and SUN and run very easy rest of time with some strides twice weekly. Wed is your Long Workout day as above and Sun is your long run day with last 2-4 miles at Marathon pace.

I have posted lots on here before about this so if you can track down the posts it is all covered.

Must go coach some athletes now so hope that helps somewhat.

Tergat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I wouldn't worry too much about your endurance qualities....in Dublin you ran the first mile over 30 sec faster than PMP. You just cannot undo that sort of damage if you are running on the limit anyway.

Next week I will attempt to run sub 60 in ballycotton and I will need everything to go right on the day to achieve that. Now how far will I get do you think if I ran 30sec too fast on the first mile, running 5:30 instead of 6:00? Not very far I hear you say.

You learned from Dublin, you control your pace now on the first few miles of races, what happened in Dublin was not anything to do with endurance it was a rookie mistake which you were punished for and if you had run a few more 10 milers or HM's prior to Dublin you would have instead made the mistake in one of those. Short races don't teach you things like that.

Your first marathon in always tough...I think its the first race i ever did where there were crowds cheering you on. At the relay changeover points in Cork i would speed up without realising it because of the masses of people cheering you on. This is something you really need to watch out for in Cork, the people at the relay changeover points get very animated when they see a marathoner rather than a relay runner coming through.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about your endurance qualities....in Dublin you ran the first mile over 30 sec faster than PMP. You just cannot undo that sort of damage if you are running on the limit anyway.

Next week I will attempt to run sub 60 in ballycotton and I will need everything to go right on the day to achieve that. Now how far will I get do you think if I ran 30sec too fast on the first mile, running 5:30 instead of 6:00? Not very far I hear you say.

You learned from Dublin, you control your pace now on the first few miles of races, what happened in Dublin was not anything to do with endurance it was a rookie mistake which you were punished for and if you had run a few more 10 milers or HM's prior to Dublin you would have instead made the mistake in one of those. Short races don't teach you things like that.

Your first marathon in always tough...I think its the first race i ever did where there were crowds cheering you on. At the relay changeover points in Cork i would speed up without realising it because of the masses of people cheering you on. This is something you really need to watch out for in Cork, the people at the relay changeover points get very animated when they see a marathoner rather than a relay runner coming through.

Thanks Gringo,you are quickly becoming my online councillor.

Im going to change around my plan now after reading tergats advice again.
    My mistake last time was to much emphasis on tempos and fast lsr's....as he said abover i am capable of 2:50ish if i get specific marathon training which i clearly did not do last time and came close to commiting the same sins this time round.

I will have to rethink,those 5-4-3-2-1 runs would be manageable for me id say as i am used to banging out 10/12 straight miles at pmp since christmas so i will be switching over to those and the longer intervals.

:rolleyes: Hmmmmm....i have a bit of thinking to do.

Tergat,
    Just hoping you come back online later...could you give me a few more examples of specific marathon training runs to do.
    I am going to do some of the ones you mentioned to Peckham above...any others ?
    Long intervals....tempos.....etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sosa

Tergat,
    Just hoping you come back online later...could you give me a few more examples of specific marathon training runs to do.
    I am going to do some of the ones you mentioned to Peckham above...any others ?
    Long intervals....tempos.....etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sosa

Hi Sosa,

The key really is time on your feet. Getting your body used to the pounding it will take for 26.2 miles.

Just think 1-3 miles warm up and 1-3 miles warm down either side of a core workout using 10km, CV, HM, Marathon paces.

So you could do:
    - 5-6*1 Mile @ 10k pace with 2 mins jog
    - 6-8*1km CV reps with 90 secs jog
    - 6-8*1 Mile HM reps with 2-3 mins jog
    - 3-4*2 miles Marathon reps with 2 mins jog
    - 4*3 miles Marathon pace reps with 2 mins jog
    - 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 miles @ Marathon pace with 2 mins jog
    - 16-18 mile run with 3-4*5km included in it @ Marathon pace with 3 mins jog

etc etc

Use variety but always listen to your body. The volume of these you do depends on your ability, age, injury history etc. These are long workouts and you need to recover well from them. But if you do them you will reap the rewards come Marathon day.

Tergat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Do you have a marathon plan you could share with us Tergat?

Or maybe we should pull one together based on your posts and put it up here for your review?

Or maybe we should pull one together based on your posts and put it up here for your review?

Yeah,good idea Amadeus....would be ideal to have it to refer to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

1) warm up 1-2 miles, run 4,3,2,1 mile at Marathon Pace (be realistic), rest 2-3 minutes between each, warm-down 1-2 miles

2) warm up 1-2 miles, run 5-6 x 1 mile at Lactate Threshold Pace, jog 1-2 minutes between each, warm-down 1-2 miles

3) warm up 1-2 miles, run 2 x 1 mile at 10k pace, jog 2 minutes between, 1-2 miles warm down

Thanks for that, tergat. Much appreciated, and I think I'm going to use them. By "in succession", I presume you mean to do them in that order i.e. 1 = Week 1; 2 = Week 2 etc.

Also, in week 1 when you say "rest 2-3 minutes", does this mean actually stop and rest? The reason I ask is because you clearly state "jog" for recovery in the other two sessions.

Stupid question probably, but don't want to get it wrong!

You'll have to start billing us for your time on the forum! ;)

Hi amadeus,

Unfortunately I dont have a written doen Marathon plan as every athlete is different. I have always believed that each athlete needs a plan tailored towards their own needs. Factors to be taken into account include:

- Consistancy of training to date
    - PB's
    - Injury History
    - Life Stresses
    - Work/College/Family Life

etc.

I really feel that you need to be around the athletes or in constant contact to give them the correct training. Following a plan is fine but it is a guide and invaribly it will have to be changed along the way.

I would have no problem reviewing one if you were to pull one together for a generic person, once we state the variables above and how these may effect his/her training. E.g John age 30, PB 3.05, few past injuries, consistant training for the last few months etc etc.

Tergat

Peckham wrote: »
    Thanks for that, tergat. Much appreciated, and I think I'm going to use them. By "in succession", I presume you mean to do them in that order i.e. 1 = Week 1; 2 = Week 2 etc.

Also, in week 1 when you say "rest 2-3 minutes", does this mean actually stop and rest? The reason I ask is because you clearly state "jog" for recovery in the other two sessions.

Stupid question probably, but don't want to get it wrong!

You'll have to start billing us for your time on the forum! ;)

Peckham,

3 weeks out from the Marathon do the 1st workout stated, then 2 weeks out the 2nd and one week out the last workout of 2*1 Mile @ 10km pace. They are to be done midweek also in conjunction with your long run which should be reduced each week as you get closer to the Marathon.

Sorry the 'rest' should have read easy jog. Always jog easy on recoveries.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's a question from smmoore's training log, kindly re-produced without any permission whatsover. :)
    Thought he might get some more informative responses here.
    smmoore79 wrote: »
    Quick Question for any of you that are attempting a sub 3 marathon (2 hr 45 to 3 hr);

What pace per mile would you do for the following? The plan i'll be following which i'll start May/Jun is based on the following workouts. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Recovery run
    LSR
    aerobic pace run
    lactic threshold pace run
    VO2 max pace run

Everyone's different, but this is what I did for the last three months:
    Recovery run - 8 min/mile (but shouldn't be based on pace, should be based on perceived effort (i.e. little effort - should feel more energised after run, than before the run).
    LSR - 7:06 to 7:30 (too fast). these should be run slower, but they felt comfortable at the time and were within effort thresholds (HR)
    Aerobic pace run - Usually 7:15 - 7:30 - again based on quick side of comfortable rather than a specific target pace
    lactic threshold pace run - McMillan half marathon equivalent of my marathon goal - 6:20 / mile
    VO2 max pace run - McMillan 5k equivalent of my marathon goal (but slightly quicker)- 5:40/mile intervals

I broke lots of rules. Vo2 and LT should be run at your current race pace, rather than targeted equivalent race pace, but had I run them at a slower pace, I wouldn't have seen improvements in Vo2max or LT as my heart rate would have been too low (and I haven't run these distances recently). You will need to figure out what works best for you rather than focussing on actual numbers. Any on else have thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Here's a question from smmoore's training log, kindly re-produced without any permission whatsover. :)
    Thought he might get some more informative responses here.

Everyone's different, but this is what I did for the last three months:
    Recovery run - 8 min/mile (but shouldn't be based on pace, should be based on perceived effort (i.e. little effort - should feel more energised after run, than before the run).
    LSR - 7:06 to 7:30 (too fast). these should be run slower, but they felt comfortable at the time and were within effort thresholds (HR)
    Aerobic pace run - Usually 7:15 - 7:30 - again based on quick side of comfortable rather than a specific target pace
    lactic threshold pace run - McMillan half marathon equivalent of my marathon goal - 6:20 / mile
    VO2 max pace run - McMillan 5k equivalent of my marathon goal (but slightly quicker)- 5:40/mile intervals

I broke lots of rules. Vo2 and LT should be run at your current race pace, rather than targeted equivalent race pace, but had I run them at a slower pace, I wouldn't have seen improvements in Vo2max or LT as my heart rate would have been too low (and I haven't run these distances recently). You will need to figure out what works best for you rather than focussing on actual numbers. Any on else have thoughts?

Would agree with Krusty re going by feel sometimes. Saying that it is always good/reassuring to hear you are hitting same pace as others with a similiar goal. I'm running Long runs at 7.20-7.30 pace with last few miles at PMP, Vo2 max sessions at 5.20 pace (current 5km pace), Easy runs at 8.00-8.30 pace. Also completed one of Tergats 6 x 1m @ HM pace last night and ran these intervals at 6.05-6.10 pace. Will be including a few more of Tergats sessions over the next few weeks in the lead up to Rotterdam and will be running the PMP at 6.40 pace. Hope this helps/reassures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Yeah, thanks guys. I just needed a ball park figure of your paces for the different runs. Dont want to be running LSR's too slow, recovery runs too fast etc...

Just said I would bump this as I know there are a lot of people on here attempting sub 3 in April.
    I am running Rotterdam 11/04 and my training is going well at the moment. I have taken a lot of good advise from here most notably 'the key to successful marathon training is to always feel slightly undertrained' ...sorry don't know who offered that advise but thanks whoever it was :).
    I was running 60-70 miles per week and all was going well until I developed a blister which became infected so missed out on 2 weeks training. Something that has not been mentioned on this thread before is the importance of positive thinking and confidence in yourself in tackling a sub 3. I think on too many occassions people are quick to dismiss an attempt at a sub 3 because of a few weeks of missed training but if you can cross train and stay positive you don't really miss out that much. The main thing you miss out on is the confidence you get from continuous training in the run up to the race but physically I don't think you lose a whole pile.
    Ran a hilly and windy 10km race yesterday in 35.12. PB for me so thats always good for the confidence in the lead up to a big race. Legs feeling dead at the moment but not bothered about missing a couple of days. Plan for the next few weeks is just to tick over so that i don't risk injury and arrive fresh at the start line 11/04. Would be interested to hear how others who are racing in April are getting on?

Just said I would bump this as I know there are a lot of people on here attempting sub 3 in April.
    I am running Rotterdam 11/04 and my training is going well at the moment. I have taken a lot of good advise from here most notably 'the key to successful marathon training is to always feel slightly undertrained' ...sorry don't know who offered that advise but thanks whoever it was :).
    I was running 60-70 miles per week and all was going well until I developed a blister which became infected so missed out on 2 weeks training. Something that has not been mentioned on this thread before is the importance of positive thinking and confidence in yourself in tackling a sub 3. I think on too many occassions people are quick to dismiss an attempt at a sub 3 because of a few weeks of missed training but if you can cross train and stay positive you don't really miss out that much. The main thing you miss out on is the confidence you get from continuous training in the run up to the race but physically I don't think you lose a whole pile.
    Ran a hilly and windy 10km race yesterday in 35.12. PB for me so thats always good for the confidence in the lead up to a big race. Legs feeling dead at the moment but not bothered about missing a couple of days. Plan for the next few weeks is just to tick over so that i don't risk injury and arrive fresh at the start line 11/04. Would be interested to hear how others who are racing in April are getting on?

35:12 is some time for a 10km, MMR...judging by that sub 3 is well within you,i have got my 10k down from 37:22 last Sept to 36:16 last month,so i am feeling better about this attempt at sub 3,i really think you need to get your shorter times down at least 3 months before a marathon so that the last 12 weeks can be all about the endurance end of things and time on your feet.

Best of luck in Rotterdam

35:12 is some time for a 10km, MMR...judging by that sub 3 is well within you,i have got my 10k down from 37:22 last Sept to 36:16 last month,so i am feeling better about this attempt at sub 3,i really think you need to get your shorter times down at least 3 months before a marathon so that the last 12 weeks can be all about the endurance end of things and time on your feet.

Best of luck in Rotterdam
    Cheers Sosa, my previous pb was 36.30 a few months ago. You should be well able to sub 3 at Cork with that 10km time. Feeling fairly confident about sub 3 now. Ran a 19 miler 2 weeks ago with 14 @ 6.38 pace and felt fresh enough at the end of it. Ran a 22 miler last weekend with last 5 at PMP and was tired by the end of it. Will try and enjoy Rotterdam. Anyone who is running an April marathon would have trained though seriously s**tty weather and deserves to enjoy the race. I ran my first marathon in Dublin in 08 in 3.10 and swore never again. Remains to be seen if I will have those same feelings after Rotterdam. Good luck in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great time MayoRoadRunner - especially in windy conditions.
    Sub three will be no problem to you id imagine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hi Folks,
    Great thread this. I didn’t think I would be posting here so soon but my training for Rotterdam (in 3 weeks time) has gone so well that I’m going for sub 3. I’ve attached my 18week training. In green is what I have done and in white what I plan to do for my taper. I’ve been following Tergat’s advice on two big workouts a week and easier paced runs in between and things have gone really well.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on the following:

- In your opinion am I right to go for sub 3 (people have posted in my log that I should….I tend to agree)

-What do you make of the Taper? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I blew up in Dublin 09 and got home in 3:25. I thought I was ok for 3:15 but got to mile 20 and was on for 3:10. I also got my fueling wrong and I ran fast a lot in training. This was based on weekly mileage of approx 37-40mpw. I have since worked on this with average weekly mileage of about 60mpw.

Sorry for hogging here but it’s always good to bump a good thread anyway plus I much appreciate the advice on those two things above. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Hi Folks,
    Great thread this. I didn’t think I would be posting here so soon but my training for Rotterdam (in 3 weeks time) has gone so well that I’m going for sub 3. I’ve attached my 18week training. In green is what I have done and in white what I plan to do for my taper. I’ve been following Tergat’s advice on two big workouts a week and easier paced runs in between and things have gone really well.

- In your opinion am I right to go for sub 3 (people have posted in my log that I should….I tend to agree)

I blew up in Dublin 09 and got home in 3:25. I thought I was ok for 3:15 but got to mile 20 and was on for 3:10. I also got my fueling wrong and I ran fast a lot in training. This was based on weekly mileage of approx 37-40mpw. I have since worked on this with average weekly mileage of about 60mpw.

Sorry for hogging here but it’s always good to bump a good thread anyway plus I much appreciate the advice on those two things above. Thanks.

Misty, training plan looks spot on and I dont see why you shouldn't go for it ! Best of luck ( dont overdo the taper)
    LL

+1

That's a savage amount of work you got through in training. Surprised you didn't injure yourself! Those long runs since start of Feb will really stand you, as will the massive amount of PMP you've done.

As for taper - I'd personally cut back on the strength work, and maybe also the PMP run this weekend. Currently you have scheduled to do 22 PMP miles this week (out of a total of 48) - that seems excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Yea, you are on for sub 3. In fact, based on that training you would be a little daft not to go for it.
    I wouldn't normally compare myself or my training to anyone on a message board (there are too many variables) but when I saw your spreadsheet I thought it would be interesting to look at my training 4 weeks out from London in 2008(2:57). I did 60 for the week with a pathetic looking 4 x 1 mile at LT midweek and a 22 miler at 7:25 m/m that nearly killed me. There was no way in hell I would have been able for a 5/4/3/2/1 session at any point in that training block. You've done the right training its just down to execution now.

Taper looks fine. You know the drill, if you even suspect for a second that you are tired then rest as much as you want - especially in the last week.

Thanks very much lads.
    Lex Luther wrote: »
    Misty, training plan looks spot on and I dont see why you shouldn't go for it ! Best of luck ( dont overdo the taper)
    LL
    Peckham wrote: »
    +1

As for taper - I'd personally cut back on the strength work, and maybe also the PMP run this weekend. Currently you have scheduled to do 22 PMP miles this week (out of a total of 48) - that seems excessive.

Your right there, I didn't look at it like that. I am going to leave the 5 out of the 54321 and will look at reducing the LSR PMP miles. If I'm fresh I'll do em.
    dermCu wrote: »
    There was no way in hell I would have been able for a 5/4/3/2/1 session at any point in that training block.

Taper looks fine. You know the drill, if you even suspect for a second that you are tired then rest as much as you want - especially in the last week.

Thanks dermCu, it would probably be a big ask to do the full 54321 especially after a busy weekend of running. I have done 4x2 @ HMP after big LSR's and found them ok after a few goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

You're right to go for Sub 3.

I'm in the same boat, tapering for Connemara.

I'd recommend not doing the [EMAIL="5-6@LT"]5-6@LT[/EMAIL], keep the 5-4-3-2-1 as is (gonna do the same myself) and do at most 2 miles PMP in the 17 miler, keep the most of it real easy.

Everybody's different but the fact that you feel you recover fast after a LSR means you need a shorter taper (I think) but your one as is looks a little too intensive.

Best of luck.

Hi Folks,

misty floyd,

Your training has looked very solid, well done. One thing this week cut down the two big workouts a bit, dont want to overdo it. On the Wednesday workout this week drop the 5 mile part and just do 4, 3, 2, 1 and keep at 6.45-6.55 pace NO faster. Get used to cruising at this pace and get confidence from that.

Also cut Saturdays Long Run to 14-15 miles with last 4-5 at 6.50-6.55 pace NO faster. After that keep ticking over and stay healthy. On race day be PATIENT until 18 miles going out at 6.55 pace until then. Make sure to keep the first 4-5 miles at 6.55-7.05 pace and no faster. Then at 18 miles and ONLY then do you pick things up and come home strong. SUB 3 all the way, be confident!!!!

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi Folks,

Hi Misty

Id bloody well hope you will be going for a sub 3 - your times over shorter distances are faster than mine and I am going for sub 3 ;)

Ok thanks everyone. I'm happy with my Taper plans which will hopefully keep the madness at bay and I'm happy and confident with my goal. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

On race day be PATIENT until 18 miles going out at 6.55 pace until then. Make sure to keep the first 4-5 miles at 6.55-7.05 pace and no faster. Then at 18 miles and ONLY then do you pick things up and come home strong.

I have booked an appointment to get this text tattoo'd along the inside of my arm.

Advertisement