Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Last of the long runs yesterday, plan was to do 16KM steady and the second 16 sub 3MP with a view to helping me decide if I should have a go at sub3 in DCM. I completed the run as planned had to grind out the last two km but other than that I felt good . Phoenix Park had a good wind kicking around it which added to the fun!

Details - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3071491696

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

rocco wrote: »
    Last of the long runs yesterday, plan was to do 16KM steady and the second 16 sub 3MP with a view to helping me decide if I should have a go at sub3 in DCM.  I completed the run as planned had to grind out the last two km but other than that I felt good . Phoenix Park had a good wind kicking around it which added to the fun!

Details - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3071491696
    That's a big session there. How are ya feeling today? If ok, well done. Just hope that wasn't your DCM. It's only 7 seconds a km away from sub 3. What are you planning on doing for the next couple of weeks? A couple of sharpening up bits, some faster than MP stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Itziger wrote: »
    That's a big session there. How are ya feeling today? If ok, well done. Just hope that wasn't your DCM. It's only 7 seconds a km away from sub 3. What are you planning on doing for the next couple of weeks? A couple of sharpening up bits, some faster than MP stuff?

Legs feel fine today, I know what your saying re overdoing it but it was more for my confidence to see where I am at. The previous week was a proper LSR averaging around 5.09 per km for 35km . Thats the last of the heavy weeks topped out last week at just under 60 miles. As you say will just try to stay sharp, reduce the volume and be fresh on race day .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That is moving well done! I can't handle kms at all! My stomach is still sore from the last mile. I'm not sure what the coach has in mind for me but he told me to do 5 miles at 6:30 from 17-22. I was punctured and couldn't believe I got through it on the pace. Not as much of a decrease as I was expecting this week but enough to make it enticing. Lots of early nights in the next while to try to keep things on an even keel. I got 7 hrs 30 mins give or take last night and I'm zonked today. Often find the monday easy run the hardest to face after having had 55 or so hours of a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭busterjones

Hope that I'm still on track for sub 3!

Took advice on-board since my last post here (about 5 weeks ago) and slowed down my long runs - as had been doing many at close to or at MP.

Did 2 x 87 mile weeks (incl. 24 mile LSR) back to back and then did the half marathon the week after.

Was happy enough (1:23) without pushing it (kept average at 6:30 until half way and then upped it slightly until after 10 miles and then picked up for the last 3 (~ 6:10) and finished with 6:21 average.

Then did a 70 mile week (with a 20 mile long run) and an 80 last week (with 22).

All was going well until Friday - ran a 15 mile at MP (6:48) - just ran to feel, and felt good without really pushing it so went with it - was tight for time on Saturday and did another 7 at MP - did a slow 22 miles on Sunday (at 8:15) but left shin has been very sore since then and found walking difficult yesterday morning.

I had planned to follow the last 3 weeks of the P&D 70+ plan for tapering - which meant 70 this week (with a 17 on Sun), then 54 (with a 13) and last week (36 miles).

Went to a physio yesterday and he said to rest it for 2 days and to cut back on the long slower stuff and to do fewer but shorter/ faster session after warming up i.e. to stay fresh and not to worry about the miles at this stage.

Its still sore but definitely better today.

From experience, best to cut back on the miles and try to keep legs fresh with some shorter stuff or should I stay off it for a few days and jump back in to the plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Took advice on-board since my last post here (about 5 weeks ago) and slowed down my long runs - as had been doing many at close to or at MP.

Did 2 x 87 mile weeks (incl. 24 mile LSR) back to back and then did the half marathon the week after.

Was happy enough (1:23) without pushing it (kept average at 6:30 until half way and then upped it slightly until after 10 miles and then picked up for the last 3 (~ 6:10) and finished with 6:21 average.

Then did a 70 mile week (with a 20 mile long run) and an 80 last week (with 22).

All was going well until Friday - ran a 15 mile at MP (6:48) - just ran to feel, and felt good without really pushing it so went with it - was tight for time on Saturday and did another 7 at MP - did a slow 22 miles on Sunday (at 8:15) but left shin has been very sore since then and found walking difficult yesterday morning.

I had planned to follow the last 3 miles of the P&D 70+ plan for tapering - which meant 70 this week (with a 17 on Sun), then 54 (with a 13) and last week (36 miles).

Went to a physio yesterday and he said to rest it for 2 days and to cut back on the long slower stuff and to do fewer but shorter/ faster session after warming up i.e. to stay fresh and not to worry about the miles at this stage.

From experience, best to cut back on the miles and try to keep legs fresh with some shorter stuff or should I stay off it for a few days and jump back in to the plan?

Do what the physio said. I wouldn’t run on it again till the pain is completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

I had planned to follow the last 3 weeks of the P&D 70+ plan for tapering - which meant 70 this week (with a 17 on Sun), then 54 (with a 13) and last week (36 miles).

Do nothing until it's cleared. I had glute injury reoccur last week. Only did 14 miles total nothing at the weekend. Nearly pain free today so I'm good to go. I had same injury for Cork and ploughed through the pain. I had to pull out at 16. You have majority work done don't ruin it like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Buster, if you have any way of contacting Eliud Kipchoge or one of his team, ask them if he's ever done anything like this.
    All was going well until Friday - ran a 15 mile at MP (6:48) - just ran to feel, and felt good without really pushing it so went with it - was tight for time on Saturday and did another 7 at MP - 
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know what the answer will be. Did you really think 15 miles one day followed by 7 the next at PMP was a good idea???[/font]

When you put it that way 🙈

Problem was I didn't really think about it... as felt fine at the time... but lesson learned, the hard way

You have serious training done. Hope it clears up for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Dood, don't want to jinx it but, that's looking like a sub2:55

That’s what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alberto17

Itziger wrote: »
    Buster, if you have any way of contacting Eliud Kipchoge or one of his team, ask them if he's ever done anything like this.
    All was going well until Friday - ran a 15 mile at MP (6:48) - just ran to feel, and felt good without really pushing it so went with it - was tight for time on Saturday and did another 7 at MP - 
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know what the answer will be. Did you really think 15 miles one day followed by 7 the next at PMP was a good idea???[/font]

Great response. Classic overtraining here. 15m at mp is a great session, your body needs time to process that workload and adapt. I went from 3.15 in 2015 to 2.58 in 2017 off the back of more mp sessions, but would always have a very easy day/day off either side of anything over 10miles of mp running.
    Savage commitment in fairness, hope you get your sub 3..

I'll be delighted with a 2:59:59!

Will take advice given and rest until pain is gone.

Anything that can be done in gym (e.g. bike) to keep things ticking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anything that can be done in gym (e.g. bike) to keep things ticking over?

:pac:

just rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Hi buster, don't just rest. Get out in the fresh air on a bike if possible.

I'm in the same boat with sore shins and am resting for a few days and then when the madness and angst get too much I am riding my bike up the local hills.

Did a 10x1k session last night which was my first run since an easy 10k last Wednesday but I cycled Sat/Sun/Mon and of course my shins are tender today after 10x1k last night and equally I don't have the weekend's long run or tempo in my legs either so the possibility of being a too fresh coming into the session (unlikely with the angst fuelled uphill cycling)

Cycling doesn't replicate running but can be useful for the angst relief and getting some exercise in.

I am going to do the sessions and cycle every other day. It's not ideal but better than nothing.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

RayCun wrote: »
    :pac:

just rest!

What he said.

:)

Just rest from running perhaps might be a better way of phrasing it.

There's 18 days to go for Dublin, you cannot just rest if there are valid cross training alternatives that won't stress the injury (in this case the shins)

At the very least continuing the cardiovascular loading is worth the effort of hopping on a bike?

Be all means "just rest" is fine if you have given up on your marathon goal due to the nature of the injury but my assumption is that the start line is still the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Peterx wrote: »
    There's 18 days to go for Dublin, you cannot just rest

For 2/3 days? of course he can.
    Cycling or not cycling for a few days is not going to have much impact on his fitness

Even a big cutback in miles for the remaining 18 days is not going to make much difference.

RayCun wrote: »
    For 2/3 days? of course he can.
    Cycling or not cycling for a few days is not going to have much impact on his fitness

Even a big cutback in miles for the remaining 18 days is not going to make much difference.

I never mentioned 2/3 days Ray, it's the next 18 days I was, and still am, talking about. Just resting now and expecting to run well in 18 days is the bit that concerns me. Maybe I wasn't clear.

Hopefully it's all cleared up in 3 days but if not, don't just rest.

In the case that running will slow recovery from sore shins I would still say to cycle/swim/Nordic walk as much as possible to maintain fitness, whilst getting some stress relieving exercise in, do the marathon as best you can and then by all means "just rest".
    And drink too much beer and eat bad foods and all the usual post marathon blow outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

the guy did 22 miles MP in 2 days, followed by 22 miles slow the day after. sometimes the problem is not knowing when too much is too much. this guy is going to find it very hard to just rest, so go out at do some cycling or elliptical trainer in gym

Any of you guys staying about Dublin the night of the marathon? Be nice to celebrate some PBs together. Maybe it’s a bit early for that talk

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paul471966

getting pissed in o donaghues after .sub 3 hours or not.lolðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜.

So my weeek has been like this.
    Monday 8 easy
    Tuesday 20 x min on/Off 6:10 pace 9.5 miles
    Wednesday 9 miles easy
    Thursday 8 mile tempo 6:28 pace 12 mile run

Last Saturday was 22 miles with 5 at 6:30 pace.

I’ve been exhausted all week and tonight’s run was one long fight. I looked at the hr thing on Garmin connect and I was on zone 5 for 70/84 mins. Should I be concerned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Any of you guys staying about Dublin the night of the marathon? Be nice to celebrate some PBs together. Maybe it’s a bit early for that talk
    Weather its a 2:56 or 3:26 marathon,I will definitely meet up afterwards for a few.Have a 3:30pm train to catch home to Limerick tough.Mite guzzle down a quick 2 or 3 pints.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Weather its a 2:56 or 3:26 marathon,I will definitely meet up afterwards for a few.Have a 3:30pm train to catch home to Limerick tough.Mite guzzle down a quick 2 or 3 pints.

Won’t see ya so i’d say!!! Kerrylads just can’t handle the capital.......

squinn2912 wrote: »
    So my weeek has been like this.
    Monday 8 easy
    Tuesday 20 x min on/Off 6:10 pace 9.5 miles
    Wednesday 9 miles easy
    Thursday 8 mile tempo 6:28 pace 12 mile run

Last Saturday was 22 miles with 5 at 6:30 pace.

I’ve been exhausted all week and tonight’s run was one long fight. I looked at the hr thing on Garmin connect and I was on zone 5 for 70/84 mins. Should I be concerned?
    Taper maddness has began.Relax.I know nothing about heart rate zones etc,but I did 20 miles earlier.Plan was 7:45,only managed 7:54 ave.I was knackered bye the end.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Won’t see ya so i’d say!!! Kerrylads just can’t handle the capital.......
    I must change that stupid user name.Limerick men,love the capital.Especially this year.When we left with the Liam McCarthy in the bag.ha.My wife had to tell me the name of the cup.shows what I know about the gaa

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    I must change that stupid user name.Limerick men,love the capital.Especially this year.When we left with the Liam McCarthy in the bag.ha.My wife had to tell me the name of the cup.shows what I know about the gaa

Be a shame to miss you J, might see you hopefully.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Be a shame to miss you J, might see you hopefully.
    Will try and see you before.You will be hard to miss,with a big 4:10 flag,stuck to ur back.

Advertisement