Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I use Powerbar gels and have taken 4-5 in past races but was considering cutting it to 2-3 on Sunday. In training I take one max on a long run.

If you have used 4-5 in previous races use 4-5 Sunday. Stick to what your used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Well last day my stomach was talking to me so that's what made me reevaluate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Well last day my stomach was talking to me so that's what made me reevaluate.

You could keep your options open, keep a couple of spares on you. My stomach played up for an hour of a marathon, so skipped water and gel until it sorted itself, that’s not reoccurred a lot since. Big benefit in 5 gels over 2 if your stomach is playing ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

You could keep your options open, keep a couple of spares on you. My stomach played up for an hour of a marathon, so skipped water and gel until it sorted itself, that’s not reoccurred a lot since. Big benefit in 5 gels over 2 if your stomach is playing ball.

I have yet to figure out this gel thing. In my best marathon, and only sub 3 (to date!) I dropped/lost 2 of the 4 gels. I then took one of the two remaining ones fairly early on in case that slipped out as well and kept the last one in my hand for I don't know how many miles......

They're a mystery.

I think the most important thing on the day was not panicking. If I'd said, "oh no, 2 gels down. I'm fooked, there goes my chances of a PB" then you get the self fulfilling prophecy kicking in.

At the expo now. THE EXCITEMENT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Best of luck to all on the sub 3 train this Sunday. Hope things work out OK. Been two years since I was on it myself. Long way from it now! Maybe 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭busterjones

Anyone know if you can collect pack using QR code on phone or if you need to have it printed and signed?

Thanks!

Yep you can I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Was on for a pb,up until mile 23,then (bang)out of nowhere,I hit the wall, big time.I went from low 6:40,s to 7:10,7:45,and managed to salvage the the sub 3 with a last mile of 7:18.Bearly remember the last half mile,I was in bits.2:59:23.I will put up a proper report tomorrow.Highlight of the weekend,was meeting,the legend,oonegative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kerrylad huge well done after a couple of weeks of zilch! Looking forward to reading yours and the other sub3 reports from today (equally will look forward to neady,kellygirl and all the 3+, 4+ reports too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

How did squinn get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

How did squinn get on?

There is an S Quinn in the results at 2:54:59.
    Could be him?
    If so, he may still be celebrating!

HI guys sorry boards wasn’t loading for me since Saturday! Just as well I’d have panicked you all!! Well done all.
    Yep that was me, I came home just for the sub 2:55 couldn’t be happier. I’ll throw together a bit of a report if you’d like to see it? Essentially dropped the hammer at 16 miles.
    My Garmin app is playing up it half loads and then stops the sync. Anyone able to advise me on that? Pissing me off!
    Oh and yea I drank until 6 this morning and somehow got away with it no hangover, think I’ll do the lotto this week!!

HI guys sorry boards wasn’t loading for me since Saturday! Just as well I’d have panicked you all!! Well done all.
    Yep that was me, I came home just for the sub 2:55 couldn’t be happier. I’ll throw together a bit of a report if you’d like to see it? Essentially dropped the hammer at 16 miles.
    My Garmin app is playing up it half loads and then stops the sync. Anyone able to advise me on that? Pissing me off!
    Oh and yea I drank until 6 this morning and somehow got away with it no hangover, think I’ll do the lotto this week!!
    That is a fantastic result.Well done man.Do not know what is more impressive.The 2:55 or the 6am session.I had only 1pint yesterday.I really am getting soft,as I age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paul471966

3:00:10 .a pb but it don't feel like it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭busterjones

Managed 2:50.

Was still in two minds starting out as to whether to target 2:55 or 2:50 and decided I'd go for it and run @ 6:30 pace for as long as I could and run to feel - pretty sure (from the half marathon) that I should get to at least 15 or 16 miles at that pace and worst case would slow up but hopefully would have enough banked for sub-3. If it felt harder than it should early on, I'd slow down.

Managed to keep it going all the way and only really got very hard over the last 2 miles - don't get me wrong, none of it was easy, would describe the rest as hard but (relatively) comfortable!

Delighted with that as starting out at the start of the year I'd have jumped at 2:59:59 - previous PB was 3:11 in 2016.

Thanks all for the advice here - particularly regarding need to slow down long runs and what to do a few weeks back when shin injury kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Very happy with that.
    Negative split, PB and found it hard to walk back to the car after my wife finished her marathon.

2:52:29 which is a 27 second PB and paced it very well - if I say so myself:D.

Ran with a clubmate who was also targeting 2:52 and we went out nice and steady, took it relatively easy to the Crumlin road, coming through halfway in 1:26:41.
    Up to the Walkinstown roundabout and then made a conscious decision to pick it up and treat it as a race and try to pass as many people as possible to the finish. That went great for the 3rd quarter and we passed loads of people feeling absolutely groovy and attacking hills and then from the UCD flyover home it started to get harder, the hamstrings were getting tight and in the final 4km I was working hard just to keep maintaining a pace but kinda happy at the same time as I didn't want to be at the finish line thinking I had more to give. I had nothing more to give.
    Great learning out there on Sunday and thanks to the club coach Adam Jones for the training plans and the lads for the Sunday long runs.

I know if I want a sub 2:50 (which I do) I will need higher mileage and better numbers in the key sessions.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    That is a fantastic result.Well done man.Do not know what is more impressive.The 2:55 or the 6am session.I had only 1pint yesterday.I really am getting soft,as I age.

Thanks buddy you were a great help during the programme! Ha I don’t know which was worse for aftereffects either!! What’s next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Went looking for a sub 3 on Sunday (have a few failed attempts at this stage) but yet again an injury got in the way. This was the first marathon program where I didn't miss a session but my hip got sore during the last week of peak mileage about 3 weeks ago. It never settled and I took a chance on Sunday after resting completely for the week before the marathon. I attended a physio who advised of a slight inflammation around the tendon at the hip. He did say that I wouldn't do any further harm but it would probably get sore during the run. Held pace until Chesterfield Avenue when the pain became too much and I slowed to a hobble for the rest of the race.

Will rest up, work on 10 mile and half marathon work for the first half of 2019 and see how the body holds up before seeing if I will attempt it again in 12 months. Really going to have to pull my socks up when it comes to S&C also as in trutht I only concentrate on it when I have an issue....

Thanks buddy you were a great help during the programme! Ha I don’t know which was worse for aftereffects either!! What’s next?
    No running for 2 weeks.Just do the bike in the gym.Clear up a few niggles.I mite do Manchester again in April,and try and get a fecking pb.Flat enough course.Will do Limerick then again a few weeks later,if I come through that without any niggles.Sucker for punishment.Congratulations again, on the 2:54:59.Any idea what will be your next target,or are you still on the lash?

• Advertisement

Hi pal. You’re well planned!!
    I’m currently in London trying to be patient about people bumping into me and positive about the million stairs every trip! Legs are sore I had a very fast (for me) second half. 10 miles were under 6:40 and 7 under 6:35. Mile 26 was 6:22 and the 0.37 at 5:18 pace to break the 2:55. I finished very strong but the legs took a load so this week entire rest but for the walking. I’ll get a rub on Monday night then try a jog Tuesday. Half considering Belfast in May then Dublin again but I want to race more.
    Getting the 2:55 was a strange experience I didn’t expect it but I had loads of power and the wall never came. At 23 I checked my hr for something to do and it was 130.
    Relationship fell apart over summer so I trained and raced with plenty of anger. I suppose I’ll consider becoming unsingle again now. I’m proud of myself that I had enough ignorance to deal with that setback in a positive way. Some days it didn’t feel too good

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

What did people think off the course on Sunday. It was my 2nd marathon (both Dublin) I went sub 3. I thought it was pretty good it has some nice down hills towards the last 3rd. But some hills too. But cannot remember that well. I had some people telling me it was a hard enough course so not sure going on my limited marathon experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

I missed out in the end and came in at 3:00:34 .. Doh! Race went really well I was comfortable pretty much through out. I was working a bit harder in the second half but never uncomfortable. I knew if I was going sub three it was with seconds to spare so I had no room for error. I ran out of gas at the RDS and I just couldnt keep the legs moving quick enough ! Im still delighted 2017 DCM time was 3:20 so a huge PB. Lets see what next year brings!

Thanks lads

Dcm 2018.2:59:23
    I did a 12 week block,just copy and paste,from Manchester last April.All went ok,except I went to Portugal on holidays,for 9 nights September 19th.Only did 4 run's(11milers)on treadmill.
    12days before the big day,I aborted a 15 mile run,as ankle got very sore.So I just did the bike in the gym,when I could,up until the big day.I don't think I lost any fitness.
    I carbo loaded the same as always,so I was very confident of a 2:56,going into this.
    The run itself.
    Miles 1-6(6:48,6:38,7:02,6:44,6:42,6:43)
    No problem with the ankle,feeling good,loving running Dublin again.
    Miles 7-13(6:46,6:34,6:36,6:28,6:48,6:38,6:34)
    Felt really strong in the above miles,no issues.
    Miles 14-20(6:54,6:47,6:41,6:44,6:44,6:36,6:43)
    Same as above section,I felt great,keep ticking along,and I have this,in the bag.
    Miles 21-23(6:42,6:52,6:34)
    Get over that hill,and bring it home,i said.I was buzzing,no wall,no issues,breathing perfect,let's go now.
    Miles 24-26.5(7:10,7:45,7:18 and 3:31)
    Out of nowhere,that dreaded feeling of (oh crap)here it comes,came just as I was about to try for a few 6:20ish miles.I just couldn't shake it off,so I went from,calculating a 2:56 in splits,to how the feck am I gona salvage the sub 3.
    As you can see from above,it was fecking tough.
    Why did I hit the wall?I really don't know.I gave up sugar,and salt a few months back,so maybe that was a factor.How you can go from feeling so strong to feeling crap in minutes,is just mind boggling.
    I don't understand this heart rate stuff,but I was in zone 5 for 1:49:34 as opposed to 1:19:38 for Manchester.
    Met oonegative in mcgrattans after,but had only the one,as I had a train home to Limerick to catch.
    I also felt sick most of the evening at home,which has never happened before.I'm getting old.ha.
    Hope this was not too hard to read,my first proper attempt at writing a report.
    I will be back next year,please god.

Great report! I’m gonna do one using your template when I get home. You did so well to cling on those last three hard miles. How many sub3s is that, pal? Devastated I didn’t get to meet you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Dcm 2018.2:59:23
    I did a 12 week block,just copy and paste,from Manchester last April.All went ok,except I went to Portugal on holidays,for 9 nights September 19th.Only did 4 run's(11milers)on treadmill.
    12days before the big day,I aborted a 15 mile run,as ankle got very sore.So I just did the bike in the gym,when I could,up until the big day.I don't think I lost any fitness.
    I carbo loaded the same as always,so I was very confident of a 2:56,going into this.
    The run itself.
    Miles 1-6(6:48,6:38,7:02,6:44,6:42,6:43)
    No problem with the ankle,feeling good,loving running Dublin again.
    Miles 7-13(6:46,6:34,6:36,6:28,6:48,6:38,6:34)
    Felt really strong in the above miles,no issues.
    Miles 14-20(6:54,6:47,6:41,6:44,6:44,6:36,6:43)
    Same as above section,I felt great,keep ticking along,and I have this,in the bag.
    Miles 21-23(6:42,6:52,6:34)
    Get over that hill,and bring it home,i said.I was buzzing,no wall,no issues,breathing perfect,let's go now.
    Miles 24-26.5(7:10,7:45,7:18 and 3:31)
    Out of nowhere,that dreaded feeling of (oh crap)here it comes,came just as I was about to try for a few 6:20ish miles.I just couldn't shake it off,so I went from,calculating a 2:56 in splits,to how the feck am I gona salvage the sub 3.
    As you can see from above,it was fecking tough.
    Why did I hit the wall?I really don't know.I gave up sugar,and salt a few months back,so maybe that was a factor.How you can go from feeling so strong to feeling crap in minutes,is just mind boggling.
    I don't understand this heart rate stuff,but I was in zone 5 for 1:49:34 as opposed to 1:19:38 for Manchester.
    Met oonegative in mcgrattans after,but had only the one,as I had a train home to Limerick to catch.
    I also felt sick most of the evening at home,which has never happened before.I'm getting old.ha.
    Hope this was not too hard to read,my first proper attempt at writing a report.
    I will be back next year,please god.

Real real pleasure to meet you twice on Sunday J, not the result you were looking for I know. All that treadmill running you do is unreal, strong man mentally to do that. Get the ankle sorted and you’ll be flying again, no doubt there’s a sub 2.50 in you. Get the training right & you’ll see. Take your hand off for your result Sunday as I said!!!!

Great report! I’m gonna do one using your template when I get home. You did so well to cling on those last three hard miles. How many sub3s is that, pal? Devastated I didn’t get to meet you guys
    That's 7 now,from last 8.But no real improvement.Stuck at 2:57,from last year.Until I dip under the 2:55 mark,I won't be happy.Was that 2:54 a pb for you?Can't remember for the life of me,weather it was or not.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Real real pleasure to meet you twice on Sunday J, not the result you were looking for I know. All that treadmill running you do is unreal, strong man mentally to do that. Get the ankle sorted and you’ll be flying again, no doubt there’s a sub 2.50 in you. Get the training right & you’ll see. Take your hand off for your result Sunday as I said!!!!
    Cheers b,ya was delighted to finally bump into you for a chat.(2:50),ur rightly taking the p*ss.ha.2:54:59 and I will retire.Best of luck with the training in the coming months.I look forward to reading ur log,on ur journey to that sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Haven't posted here in a long time but thought I'd dust off the old boards login and share some of my thoughts having joined the sub 3 club in DCM last weekend. Might be useful for any aspiring sub 3 runners or anyone looking to improve.

A few years ago I would have looked at other people running sub 3 and thinking they were at a level above of what I would ever be capable of reaching but last week I ran 2:59 in Dublin and believe I can run faster than that again. My training for the last 3 years leading was all with one eye on the long term goal of breaking 3 hours for the marathon. Consistent training week after week, month after month, year after year had me in great shape even before I started adding tempo runs, intervals, marathon pace runs etc. Lots of running at an easy pace over hilly routes gave me great strength and I haven't had an injury in years. Set a few goals along the way over different distances 5k, 10mile etc as intermediary targets.

Always maintain a positive attitude and believe in yourself. Don't get disheartened if you don't hit your targets as soon as you would like. So many people want things to happen overnight but patience is a great trait in a runner. Keep at it and your time will come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I thought I recognized you in one of the photos of AMK

Advertisement