Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Did my first major run in three and a half weeks yesterday. 12 miler with the last 6 at mp. Dunno if it was the right thing to do or not but I felt I needed to see where I'm at. I've only managed to get back doing a small bit these last few days with a few five and six mile easy efforts. The mp miles were a bit of an effort but not too bad considering the layoff. I just needed to see if I could still manage the mp effort. I reckon I did a few more miles later on in the afternoon prowling the sideline as my club won its 24th county hurling championship! didn't touch a drop during the celebrations and was home before 9! Must be a big race coming up!

We could probably pull a team together from the A/R forum and win a county hurling title in Carlow ;)

Only joking. I'm just jealous because we haven't won a county chmpionship since I was 6 months old. We did go on to win the All Ireland though :D. I was at the All Ireland last year and MLR were a decent side, although they faded quite badly as the game progressed. Best of luck in the Provincial championship.

By the way, I haven't seen a scoreline from a hurling game so low since U12 level :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

By the way, I haven't seen a scoreline from a hurling game so low since U12 level :eek:[/QUOTE]

0-1 to 0-0 would do me any time KU! A win is a win and all that.... There was a deluge during the pre match parade and the first 5 min of the game. It was always going to be tight but the conditions were desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Last run with MP miles done. 8m with 4 at MP. Felt like a nice easy shuffle. Buzzin now!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

No running last two days as top of calf was niggling. Feels much better now so going to do 7ish tomorrow with 3 @ PMP. Will do 7 easy thursday, 5ish easy Friday, 3ish Sat and Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

paddybarry wrote: »
    No running last two days as top of calf was niggling. Feels much better now so going to do 7ish tomorrow with 3 @ PMP. Will do 7 easy thursday, 5ish easy Friday, 3ish Sat and Sun.

Why bother with the mp if you're carrying a strain?

The risk/reward ratio doesn't make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Personally, I see little to no benefit in doing any running on the 6-7 days coming up to a race. Maybe a couple of easy miles here and there, but I've always fared better in races when illness or niggles have prevented running for a week before a goal race.

Personally, I see little to no benefit in doing any running on the 6-7 days coming up to a race. Maybe a couple of easy miles here and there, but I've always fared better in races when illness or niggles have prevented running for a week before a goal race.

I don't like to go mad with mileage. The DCM is just a strange one because of the Monday raceday. The gap between a Saturday long run and the race is big. Everything from here on in is easy 5m and under with a few strides to blow off the cobwebs for me.

I appreciate feedback. I'll skip PMP and just do some easy miles instead to keep things tipping over. Will do 5ish tomorrow, Thursday and Friday and none Saturday and Sunday. Sound like a better plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

In my opinion, you shouldn't try to change your typical training routines too much. If you're a 7 day a week runner, then you should continue to run 7 days a week, just much less of it. If you're a 4 day a week runner, run 4 days in your final week. Dunno how anybody could fathom not doing any running in the 6-7 days before the marathon. I'd be driven nuts. The last week isn't about training, but about maintaining the sharpness (mental as much as physical). But yeah, absolutely agree, running mp miles on a strained calf muscle is unnecessary and risky.

As runners we tend to have a 'better make sure I'm all set for the big day, by testing the cr@p out of my niggle/injury attitude', when usually it's the one workout that almost guarantees that you don't make the start-line.
    I appreciate feedback. I'll skip PMP and just do some easy miles instead to keep things tipping over. Will do 5ish tomorrow, Thursday and Friday and none Saturday and Sunday. Sound like a better plan?
    Much better plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Yeah, I'm unlikely to stand by my 'no running for a week' idea, to be honest, but the 3 times I was forced into it were my best 3 races, so convinced that for me, less is more. Everyone's different I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Yeah, I'm unlikely to stand by my 'no running for a week' idea, to be honest, but the 3 times I was forced into it were my best 3 races, so convinced that for me, less is more. Everyone's different I suppose.

While I wouldn't go as far as doing nothing for a week, personally what I do is easy 5milers mon-thurs and then no running at all Fri, sat & Sunday. Works really well. So I think your approach is sound enough i.e. less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I almost agree with Piper there. I think I do better with very little running in last week. Once I had a slight groin strain that kept me in the dry dock from Monday to Sunday and I ran a 10k pb on Sunday morning. 6 days rest beforehand. This week is proving a bit strange too. Did nothing on Monday and yesterday. Will do a little 5 miler alright today and a few more maybe Friday.

The real high mileage fellas couldn't really be expected to go 110, 100, 100, 90, 80, 00. That would be mad surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

Hi all,

Anyone else feeling little niggles here and there the past few days??? not sure if the mind is playing tricks but since started to taper starting to feel the odd twinge here and there. Lower back especially, could be stress!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

TheEagles wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone else feeling little niggles here and there the past few days??? not sure if the mind is playing tricks but since started to taper starting to feel the odd twinge here and there. Lower back especially, could be stress!!!!!!!

Did you have these while training or are they only coming now? I had a similar case of new niggles popping up the week before the marathon. On the morning of the marathon when the wait was over, they disappeared. A very good runner once told me it's only the muscles repairing itself. I'd say once you start running on the day, you'll forgot you had them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

TheEagles wrote: »
    Hi all,

Lower back was at me last week prior Amsterdam marathon but only when standing. Once running it wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Folks, I'm signing off Boards until after the DCM. Best of luck to all aspiring to run a sub 3, either in Dublin or Frankfurt.

I'm sure I'll meet many of ye in the 3hr pacing group!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I know everyone is different but I picked up a niggle a week prior Limerick this year and so did little to no running for the week. On race day my legs were dead, no energy in them.

For Amsterdam, I ran 5 of the 7 days upto the marathon including a 5K the day before the race. Legs felt amazing on race morning.

But as above, everyone is different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

viperlogic wrote: »
    I know everyone is different but I picked up a niggle a week prior Limerick this year and so did little to no running for the week. On race day my legs were dead, no energy in them.

For Amsterdam, I ran 5 of the 7 days upto the marathon including a 5K the day before the race. Legs felt amazing on race morning.

But as above, everyone is different

I think that you need to 'remind' the legs that they have a big run coming up. Personally I will run most days coming up to a marathon, even the day before, if only for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

I had a 5-miler with 2 @ marathon pace this lunchtime. The MP miles felt unbelievably tough, like an interval session. Time to relax* and hope that the body feels up to it on Monday.

Relax = checking weather forecast, packing bag 8 times, reading forums, worrying cause others are preparing differently to me, stuffing-down bagels. And repeat.

Did 4 myself. Was afraid to attempt mp pace so threw in a few strides over the last little bit. Then just as I was doing the last one I
    thought "sh1t! What if I pop a hamstring or something!" The almost full stop could've done every bit as much damage! Little or nothing from here on in I think!!

• Advertisement

Did 6 today. Did 3 in and around 6.32 m/m. Glad I did, legs definitely feeling the positive effects of an easy week. Will do 6 easy tomorrow and probably 3 on Saturday. What time do you lads plan on being down the start at and how much of a warm up will you do. I was going to jog 3 miles down to start but was advised against it. Will get my better half to drop me off a mile from start and jog in as a warm up.

Just wondering what the different versions of the weather there are on the various websites?!

Did 6 today. Did 3 in and around 6.32 m/m. Glad I did, legs definitely feeling the positive effects of an easy week. Will do 6 easy tomorrow and probably 3 on Saturday. What time do you lads plan on being down the start at and how much of a warm up will you do. I was going to jog 3 miles down to start but was advised against it. Will get my better half to drop me off a mile from start and jog in as a warm up.

I'm probably going to arrive at the bag drop about 7.45. There will be very few around at that point but I like to chill out and take things slow before a race. I will probably get to the start area by 8.30.

I'm only going to do a short 5-10 minute jog warmup with some drills and stretches. IMO, you don't need to do much of a warm-up for a marathon. The pace is so easy that you warm up in the first few miles. Ditching the 3 mile run is definitely a good idea, you would only be wasting energy.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Just wondering what the different versions of the weather there are on the various websites?!

http://m.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

moderate breeze with ideal temperatures. Pretty much perfect.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

Moderate breeze with ideal temperatures sounds good to me!!!!

Would like no breeze tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

davedanon wrote: »

Gettin worse!:eek: 25mph wind,15degrees and light rain.

Accuweather are giving light showers with 20kph wind and 15 degrees(10 degree feel) much better.

Going on a pre-dcm exodus until Monday. hoping we're all bent over the finish chute rails before the clock hits 3 on Monday.

Good luck lads!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Wasnt meant to be for me today, was on for 3 hours til 18 or 19 but then blew. Cant see myself ever doing sub 3 on that course. Came in under 3.08. Really enjoyed my shuffle through town for the last 2 miles though,! Crowds were great.

My excuse= hills and breeze.
    Real Reasons = probably need to go longer on long runs. P+D had me maxing long runs at 20.
    interested to hear to others got on?

Advertisement